Edit: Let's revive the analog vs. digital debate once and for all

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's bury the analog vs. digital debate once and for all

I mean, market may have been drooling for Vintage and Analog emus for two and a half decade, but the new cheap analog desk top gear, not at least minilogue, which surely will be a gamechanger, have put it all within reach for the same price as 2-5 good VSTis. Analog is not expensive, seldom or unique in any sense of availability and price range.

And frankly: What have you ever learned form the debates anyway? They are entertaining all right but basically a waste of time, aren't they? Have you ever changed your preferences and ideas about analog or digital gear due to a debate?

And of course this also means that the VA DEVs should drop the emulation concept, e.g. Let's talk about analog "inspirations", not emulations. Let's talk about "VA sound" and not "Analog modeling". A synth like DIVA should be more promoted on the things it can do beyond "emulation" and get it's very own identity. An Inspiration doesn't promise a similar sound, it could be architecture only. Whether it nails it is cool at best but not a selling point.

Finally we should find no topics of debates. We need new ideas. What can we argue endlessly about the next decades if not the analog-digital topic, you think? Shall we keep the software-hardware debate even though the analog/ digital debate is done? And what is to be discussed then?

So many thoughts and so little cyper space to express them. Share your thoughts. Scold me or praise me, but give it a shot.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Well for a start, Macs are obviously superior to Windows PCs on every front (well, except for gaming, but who cares about that?) :D :D :D :D :D

IncarnateX wrote:Let's bury the analog vs. digital debate once and for all

...by restarting it all over again. Kill for Peace, motherfuckers!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Edit - Nope. Not getting involved in any more 'debates' of this nature.. I promise!
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

IncarnateX wrote:Let's bury the analog vs. digital debate once and for all
I think you meant hardware vs. software - however you're right - let's stop arguing. Software is simply the best solution. :hihi:
rabbit in a hole

I find making music rather than arguing on the net is much more fun....

IncarnateX wrote:Let's bury... but give it a shot.
TBH, I'm pretty impressed you wrote so much just in order to parody previous ad nauseum threads.
I usually only manage a sentence or two when I'm bored.

As for the topic, frankly what other people like or dislike in terms of their favourite music-making tools doesn't usually affect my own musical output.

If you've got the money, you can waste it on whatever you like.

IncarnateX wrote:A synth like DIVA should be more promoted on the things it can do beyond "emulation" and get it's very own identity.
None of the dinosaurs she can impersonate can swap modules just like that - that's a hard to beat advantage of her digital nature, and what sets her apart from her analogue siblings.

AnX wrote:I find making music rather than arguing on the net is much more fun....
IncarnateX : averages 0.91 posts per day

AnX : averages 2.01 posts per day

hmmmm

whyterabbyt wrote:
AnX wrote:I find making music rather than arguing on the net is much more fun....

hmmmm
How many of mine are arguing about A vs D?

AnX wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

hmmmm
You didnt delimit 'arguing'. :P

This argument gets buried every time blind tests are done :shrug:

Seconded.

In all honesty, though, I acknowledge that analog and digital both have their upsides and downsides. As far as my music production goes, I'm almost purely a digital guy, but I don't look down on people who use analog, much less disregard analog.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Pietas ficta :dog:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

whyterabbyt wrote:
AnX wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

hmmmm
You didnt delimit 'arguing'. :P
Given the thread topic it seems obvious, and as im not arguing with the OP, the random stats have zero relevance.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”