No Radiohead 'A moon shaped pool' thread yet?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kelvyn wrote:... Almost forgot James Blake's new album. Very inventive mix of fractured beats, pop and R&B. Definitely up there with Radiohead IMO.
Thanks for the mention, listening to it now, it's different in a cool way.

@incubus

"The pop/rap crap being dished"

Sorry! I certainly don't mean to get down on you but the above statement does seem like a pretty derogatory statement about those genres of music. I most certainly agree that there's quite a bit of unpleasantly tedious commercial BS in the charts but it aint all bad.

So excuse my attempt at trying to square things up and just put it down to my OCD;)

Have a good one

VariKusBrainZ wrote:They played the entire album on BBC radio 6 the other day, it's nice, sounds like Radiohead but nothing to wet your pants about and they've lost their experimental edge.

There was nothing surprising and a few tunes I thought I'd heard before as they were similar to older tunes.

Will appeal to fans of Coldplay
Wow, damning...

:hihi:

kelvyn wrote:@incubus

"The pop/rap crap being dished"

Sorry! I certainly don't mean to get down on you but the above statement does seem like a pretty derogatory statement about those genres of music.
It doesn't have to mean that it's all crap, just that crap is released in those genres :D

But that goes for any genre. Pop/rap just gets shoved under our noses more often maybe than other genres.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Radiohead was one of my favourite bands from The Bends to Hail to the Thief. In Rainbows I only listened to a few times and thought it was ok. King of Limbs I didn't even know existed until I went to check out AMSP. I like AMSP, at least a few tracks from it, but I wish their music had some balls again. I don't The Bends level balls, but at least some energy like Hail to the Thief or some of the epicness of Ok Computer. And I have to say, King of limbs has so far bored me to tears. Both the latest ones are the types of albums that you're listening along, not minding it and then all of a sudden you can't take it anymore. At least that's what's happening to me. I used to never get enough of listening to their albums.

GaryG wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:They played the entire album on BBC radio 6 the other day, it's nice, sounds like Radiohead but nothing to wet your pants about and they've lost their experimental edge.

There was nothing surprising and a few tunes I thought I'd heard before as they were similar to older tunes.

Will appeal to fans of Coldplay
Wow, damning...

:hihi:
I thought of a d-word as well, but that wasn't it. :party:

I went an seen Radiohead live during Pablo Honey and also really enjoyed the bends , OK computer , but Kid A didn't quite jive . I did like when I heard one of there songs in surround sound " Vanilla Sky " movie though . Then the was that band from Iceland that had some cool music in that movie too ... My mind has lost me on that band name ..... Sigur Ros .... That's it .... I liked Thom Yorke solo album after that period can't remember the name of it. The new " Wicker Man " ish animated video is cool in a sense too . Ramble ramble ... I guess sometimes Art runs it course with me be it a painter , novel writer , musician , and chefs even. . They always create new and flavorful n sometimes creative things but sometimes I tire of the same ole same ole ...... I also didn't care for " the force awakens " movie ....things just run its course with me .... I wish em well n hope they find new ears .

"Radiohead" anymore seems to be the description given to what sounds (to me) like a bunch of Thom Yorke solo albums. I guess I'm just more of a fan of the earlier-era stuff. Granted, from AMSP, I've only heard "Daydreaming," and it just sort of had that sound to me like it was one guy with a laptop, rather than the "band" I grew up listening to. Perhaps I must reserve further judgement until I hear the whole album, but the single didn't really do anything for me.

I'm kind of over the whole lack-of-annunciation thing as well; how can the words trigger an emotional response if I can't understand all the mumbling?

It's certainly looking increasingly likely that they will never top OK Computer or The Bends.

ariston wrote:It's all about context. Radiohead are commercially successful with music that is an A&R man's nightmare. They follow their own rules, refuse to work within the corporate structure, and yet they are still successful. This makes them special. As well as the fact that they make "experimental" music (a dumb phrase in any case) that appeals to a lot of people and is not experimental for the sake of being different. Sure, there's music that's way more "out there", yawn. As if being "out there" was some kind of achievement. Actually, there's nothing easier than making experimental music (or art) that alienates 98% of the world's population. The hard part is trying to communicate to others while staying true to yourself, to find a balance of personal expression and the reaching out to others. This is where Radiohead are exceptional.
:clap: :tu:
"It dreamed itself along"

spaceman wrote:It's certainly looking increasingly likely that they will never top OK Computer or The Bends.
Yes ! Read my mind . This happens to about every band or artist though . :phones:

'Daydreaming' is the only track I like from this new album. Wish they included 'Spectre'...

xoxos wrote:i remember hearing about this radiohead. they're experimental, you say? o_O
..I know right? They like Aphex and Autechre and occasionally try to copy them and incorporate bits of it in their songs - that's about the limit of their 'experimentation'. The Radiohead worship gets increasingly more tiresome. I see them as a continuation of mediocre prog at best. OK Computer was like a dull 70's prog album with more modern production. I remember my thoughts being confirmed when my dad said they were the best thing he'd heard since the early 70's lol.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I like the new radiohead songs.
I like the older songs better though.
They remind me of just how worn out and tired I am of all the bullshit in life.
The singing sounds a lot like being heavily medicated, which I wish I could afford it.
I mean the medication.

edit:
"Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel"

fedexnman wrote:
spaceman wrote:It's certainly looking increasingly likely that they will never top OK Computer or The Bends.
Yes ! Read my mind . This happens to about every band or artist though . :phones:
Of course. Bands rarely peak twice. In that respect, I admire that they explore new grounds instead of trying to copy themselves.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”