New Autechre _5 albums

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Timings...

52:19
45:34
52:27
46:52
49:26

Quickly listening, this sounds pretty good,

c16 deep tread: nice funky track

13x0 step: wow even got old skool hardcore stabs

I notice many sites already have it available for free download:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... lar+bleeps
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

dayjob wrote:
spaceman wrote:Random bleep music.
I was skipping through a track and I couldn't even detect the skip.
i detected no bleeps. i don't know how you can listen to a track like 'foldfree casual' and call it random bleep music.. but whatevs.. different strokes and all that.
Excuse me for not making it to album 4 out of 5 before making that judgement.

'Foldfree casual' is indeed less random bleep. It has a bit more structure, albeit a rather boring one. I just don't get the attraction here. Compared to pure electronic acts such as Apparat/Moderat, Isan, etc. this music is just uninspiring for me.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

What inspires me about Autechre is that the music keeps you on your toes. You really need to listen to it, there's always something unexpected going on. The antithesis of elevator music.

Aye, an absolutely incredible beast of a release. Only heard the first 3 so far - each one twice through and mmmmmm so much glorious detail in .... well everything !

spaceman wrote:Excuse me for not making it to album 4 out of 5 before making that judgement.
How can you even make a judgement about a release without listening through it all the way? :?

Numanoid wrote:
spaceman wrote:Excuse me for not making it to album 4 out of 5 before making that judgement.
How can you even make a judgement about a release without listening through it all the way? :?
It's hilarious how even today, people still fear and become threatened by the unfamiliar and that which they don't understand.

@ daags - What's your problem? Do you not think musicians should be able to make a living?
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

With elyc6 Onset they confirm all the preconceptions though, that is one ugly-modular-noodling mutha of a track, and 27 minutes long it is too :scared:

I've always found it highly puzzling that new or unique ideas are ridiculed by many and yet the endless recreation of the highly familiar is somehow applauded like it's something to be proud of. I would like someone to present a convincing argument of why that should be so.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:I've always found it highly puzzling that new or unique ideas are ridiculed by many and yet the endless recreation of the highly familiar is somehow applauded like it's something to be proud of. I would like someone to present a convincing argument of why that should be so.
:clap:
"It dreamed itself along"

do_androids_dream wrote:I've always found it highly puzzling that new or unique ideas are ridiculed by many and yet the endless recreation of the highly familiar is somehow applauded like it's something to be proud of. I would like someone to present a convincing argument of why that should be so.
There's nothing wrong with following new ideas, but the result still needs to have artistic merit, or in this case, provide some listening pleasure.

Torturing 20 chickens for 20 minutes, and recording their output with a damaged condenser mic, that is a new idea as well, but that doesn't mean it will provide pleasurable results.

Obviously, we all have different yardsticks to measure musical pleasure against. Autechre, for almost complete lack of melody, does not measure against any of my yardsticks.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

A German humorist (Max Goldt) once said that, at a concert, people don't applaud the performance, they applaud their own memories.

All humans are instinctually drawn towards the familiar, because it is comforting, whereas the unknown can be unsettling. Plus, there's a social side to it: familiar stuff can be shared by everyone. People can clap in unison to a 4/4 beat (well, Germans can't do it that well, but you know what I mean), but they'd have a hard time clapping to Autechre.

I think it takes a special kind of open-mindedness to appreciate new or "unique" stuff. Most people don't have it, at least in my experience. Or maybe they once had it as a child, but it was killed off by bad TV.

If *think* it could be the case of people having the mentality of what music should be and the role of the listener. For me I *actively* enjoy music, the first time I listen to tracks I devote my entire attention to them with no distractions - no reading things, no messing about doing other stuff with the track playing in the background, just listening to the album. Like films it could be that some people prefer the more passive approach, it's just a thing that plays at you with no real conscious effort on the part of the audience. Neither is right or wrong, just that this different mindset is probably what causes such a wide reaction to albums (and any entertainment medium) like this.

Absolutely incredible quote from Sean Booth from Ae:
"I usually ask people what they do when they sit on a train, look at every single blade of grass that comes past window?" bristles Booth. "That's bogus, that line of conscious appraisal, it's led by previous programming of how to appraise product. Some people are so tied up with the whole issue of understanding - they think you need to understand something in order to like it. People have been programmed by American advertisers and various other cultural forces throughout the 20th century. They feel they have to be rewarded on their terms. The want you to hold the mayo. That's very much where this comes from in my opinion, this idea that 'We're an audience, and we've got various expectations that you're supposed to fulfill'." Neither are they happy with the line of argument that characterises them as white-coat-wearing eggheads conducting sonic experiments in their studio-cum-laboratory. "That's when you get these bogus theories, because they've used one to explain what should be a basic feeling," complains Booth, Brown is slightly more forgiving: "Our music is there to be analysed if you want to," he concedes, "but there are so many events to consume, you shouldn't tie yourself down to worrying about whether one event is material to the one before it. you should let it come at you like a wave, not look at every bit of froth of a wave that breaks on a shore."

mesh cinereaL is another winner, sounds almost like chiastic slide material :)
Last edited by Numanoid on Mon May 23, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcbpete wrote:Absolutely incredible quote from Sean Booth from Ae:
"I usually ask people what they do when they sit on a train, look at every single blade of grass that comes past window?" bristles Booth. "That's bogus, that line of conscious appraisal, it's led by previous programming of how to appraise product. Some people are so tied up with the whole issue of understanding
He shouldn't forget though that it is those very anal anoraks he pokes fun at, that pays his rent :wink:

BTW: Does Booth bristle? Like Throbbing Gristle

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”