New petition to reform 'Digital Millennium Copyright Act' of 1998 (US)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I mentioned Content ID because it seemed annode was surprised that "fan videos" accounted for 50% of the YouTube revenue made by the industry (not YouTube). This is how they do it.

Although I'm sure it's not just fan videos but also original content that includes parts of songs. As was the case with Jim Sterling's video.
Last edited by sprnva on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

The person who used it in video should celebrate because now he still got sound to his video or is still up, he is using content without permission, if this works how I think, basically you get money from everyone using your track on their channels and videos, there's plenty of dedicated music channels around that have lot of subscribers and got plenty of plays.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Indeed. What would this world come to, if i can just take something from someone else, make a video to it, and claim that i have any kind of demands on monetarization, when what i build onto was stolen in the first place? It's bad enough that hip hop artists can literally take whole songs, and make their own version of it, and earn big money with it, without being sued for it (they were though, plenty).

annode wrote:
Zexila wrote:
sprnva wrote:Content ID. Where once they would have your video taken down or silenced for using copyrighted content, now they claim ownership of the content and take any revenue it earns on YouTube.
Pretty fair deal. :tu:
WHAT! That response and the others above seem insensitive to the real issue...Youtube makes money from advertisers and none is given to the talent.
This petition is asking for reconsideration of the law written in `98. If that passes, making amendments to this writ will be considered.
My apologies. I clearly was confused.
I went here; http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... lained-faq
and read most of it, and I'm even more confused.
I can see now that all people involved are getting a share of any and each song that is played.
At this point, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I need to read something without all the legal terms. :dog:
EDIT - here we go...reading this now concerning only Youtube;
http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... rs-payouts
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Okay, went trough that article, some valid points on both sides, no way I'm gonna side with any of them, especially You Tube, there's not much for any of us here, it's big fish's fighting to eat the small fish's. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”