Why are responses on KVR and GearSlutz are so different?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I pretty much concur with your assessment of both KVR & GearSlutz (except I can understand the hatred for tarnce) :help:

It's also worth checking out electro-music.com which has the most friendly vibe of any electronic music forum I've found, and even has a Diversity in Electro Music forum.
fgimian wrote:
KvR
* Appear to mostly be hobbyists
* Really love software
* Best market place of all the forums (I've sold and bought lots here)
* Users of all DAWs
* iLok is evil. Evil i tell you!!!!
* More electronic production, chill, ambient
* A serious hatred towards trance (which I don't understand)
* Cautious about how much they spend and evaluate options very thoroughly
* The vibe can sometimes be constructive but often threads do derail and fights break out (which can be fun or frustrating depending on your taste)
* Smaller indie devs present (e.g. u-he!)

Gearslutz
* Mostly working professionals
* Lots of ProTools users
* iLok is a good thing for most
* Seem to mostly work on live recordings and band work
* Happy to spend lots but are practical
* Generally very friendly and constructive feedback
* I haven't noticed the deleted posts, but maybe that's because they delete them quickly? :)
* Moderate to larger plugin and hardware manufacturers usually present (e.g. Slate, Softube)

Winstontaneous wrote:except I can understand the hatred for tarnce
Who came up with a derogative term for a great music genre

I mean Trance/Tarnce, is that the best that you can do :help:

Numanoid wrote:

Not sure, but I can think of many many genres worse than trance.

As someone who produces and loves trance, it's always insulting to see everyone slagging it off all the time here.

People need to learn to respect others.

Ah Trance.

I love the stuff and all its variations. But for some reason it never poops out of my production process.

Oh wait, there is that one unfinished dub techno track somewhere. Well it's dub techno (with that sucking breathing deep reverb on the backbeat) for a few minutes then turns into some kind of weird mechanical sex groaning.

Doesn't count. I don't count. Fail. Self-destruct.

fgimian wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

As someone who produces and loves trance, it's always insulting to see everyone slagging it off all the time here.

I figure it makes certain personalities feel better to constantly bash onto something they consider "less worth" than the stuff they're creating. :shrug:

Paul Hartnoll said: I love going to Gear Slutz and watching all the bickering over hardware vs software or analogue vs digital!

chk071 wrote:
fgimian wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

I figure it makes certain personalities feel better to constantly bash onto something they consider "less worth" than the stuff they're creating. :shrug:
What they are creating that employs more music theory, sound design and production techniques, so it have more value and seeks more from an individual? :)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Numanoid wrote:

As a trance affictionado, I also do passionately hate tarnce (there IS a difference ;) )
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Izak Synthiemental wrote:GS has more professionals and semi-professionals, people who are actually involved in the process of producing music (producers, engineers, session players...), instead of just debating about it.
Yep, but that is gradually changing. The amount of silly fights over software vs hardware is starting to becoming really annoying. Try putting up a thread on if you should buy a Nord Lead 4 because you like how it sounds like and watch the thread go down in flames. Is GS even moderated? Sometimes I wonder. But still - if you manage to filter out all trolls and people who just love picking fights and arguments - a lovely place where I've received lots of valuable advice.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

recursive one wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

As a trance affictionado, I also do passionately hate tarnce (there IS a difference ;) )
As in any genre of music there is good and bad.

Tarnce can be a funny comment a couple of times, but it seems the Acid grandfather Ted's out there cannot understand that a joke gets old and stale and unfunny.

Numanoid wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

As in any genre of music there is good and bad.

Tarnce can be a funny comment a couple of times, but it seems the Acid grandfather Ted's out there cannot understand that a joke gets old and stale and unfunny.
I don't think this word is especially funny but it seems that people commonly use it when they mean "boring, uninspired, copycat trance". Unfortunately, trance seems to be especially prone to being made by boring and uninspired people which makes finding good trance pretty hard task. But bashing the whole genre is a bad idea, anyway.

TBH, i think Dubstep, Complextro, or whatever that other EDM stuff is called is much more boring and uninspired. Or Trap. Ugh... I wouldn't even call most of the stuff played nowadays on A State of Trance trance really. It's rather a mixture of Trance, and EDM stuff. It also rather says something about the audience, than about the DJ's playing it really. :P What can you do, when you have to provide nowadays audience with all that boring, uninspired stuff? Two possibilities, hang up your headphones, or provide the audience with what they're asking for. And that means, boring, uninspired stuff. Because the mainstream has no demand. :shrug:

It's like metal, when grunge and nu-metal came around, the previous metal started to be called classic metal or true metal.

So what I prefer is classic trance, sort of 1993-98.

chk071 wrote:T I wouldn't even call most of the stuff played nowadays on A State of Trance trance really. It's rather a mixture of Trance, and EDM stuff.
Yeah, that's a part of the problem as well. Btw, right now I'm listening to an uplifting trance podcast. I was essentially trance-free (if we discount psy) for about two years now. And it actually sounds pretty decent except for these build-ups. I mean wtf, we have a really nice melody playing and suddenly the pitch goes up and everything fades into noice except for the ultra-loud drum rolls. Is it cool or what?

And too many tracks in major keys. I hate music in major keys regardless of the genre. But it's just me, ofc.

back to the goat ranch with you

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”