The I promise I will not buy more gear-thread (HaRd MoDe 2017)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greenstorm33 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I've edited the first post to reflect the wildcard option.

Now for a roll-call: Who is still in?
I'm still in. I'm also pledging not to sell anything this year since I tend to operate on a plugin binge/purge cycle. And no new freeware plugins either (unless they're for an OSC or something similar)...I've already got plenty.
Name added to main post

I'm not banning myself from the freebies. My main issue is buying things I don't need, for a hobby that doesn't pay, and doing so well beyond my lean means.

That's not to say that I will just accumulate unnecessary freebies (I'm still being mindful about collecting for it's own sake), but I am not going to allow things like the Focusrite monthly giveaways to pass me by.

As to selling? I could be lining up for a big sale of all those things that I apparently 'needed' so much

Michael L wrote:
incubus wrote:I was doing so good, then, shit hit the fan.
"You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past" Johnny Cash
Failure is my only option, at least I'm good at that.

I'm all in.

I guess I have what I need so this should be easy, right? ;)

First post here, been lurking on and off for a while.

Muied Lumens wrote:this should be easy, right?
It's entirely effortless. Like abstinence.

And welcome! (an auspicious first post...)
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Muied Lumens wrote:I'm all in.

I guess I have what I need so this should be easy, right? ;)

First post here, been lurking on and off for a while.
Now THAT'S how you join a forum :clap: :clap:

Name added to first post. Welcome to the rest of your year :tu:

How about a "I promise i won't buy any more gear until next Black Friday" thread. :hihi:

chk071 wrote:How about a "I promise i won't buy any more gear until next Black Friday" thread. :hihi:
I imagine that BF and xmas will be the real tests. It would be so easy to be able to say, "Well, I made it 330 days, so that's good enough", especially when there is nothing to be won by doing this challenge. But, at least we now have the wildcard option :tu:

Thanks all for warm welcomes! :)

Michael L wrote:
Muied Lumens wrote:this should be easy, right?
It's entirely effortless. Like abstinence.
Heheh I like that. I suspect at times it will be harder than others since I have a long history of gear lust. I really do believe that I have what I need though, and adding more will not be that helpful to my creative flow. I don't have a large amount of hardware/software but what I have is a flexible setup that works for me. I enjoy getting deeply stuck in and learning stuff well, so this year I am planning on concentrating on that.

This thread came along as a great opportunity to make it public. :D

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I've edited the first post to reflect the wildcard option.

I am. I actually canceled the order on the AKG C414 XLII, so either that or another mic would be my 'wild card' gear purchase for 2017. Just didn't feel the need to spend nearly €800 right now, and I have mics.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Waves has a $20 coupon today, justsayin.

ghettosynth wrote:Waves has a $20 coupon today, justsayin.
Enabler! :x

:lol:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote:

I am. I actually canceled the order on the AKG C414 XLII, so either that or another mic would be my 'wild card' gear purchase for 2017. Just didn't feel the need to spend nearly €800 right now, and I have mics.
Welcome back to the light side. Name added! :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

:party:

GAS is fascinating. No sooner had I completed my guitar collection, after much trial and error (not to mention growing despair and impatience from my wife) then my mind locked onto microphones. So, I took a step back and decided to wait. This thread actually played some part in my canceling the mic.

Do I NEED a new mic?

No.

Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 Dinerii.

Simple.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote:GAS is fascinating. No sooner had I completed my guitar collection, after much trial and error (not to mention growing despair and impatience from my wife) then my mind locked onto microphones. So, I took a step back and decided to wait. This thread actually played some part in my canceling the mic.

Do I NEED a new mic?

No.

Simple.
It's funny how some times you buy something thinking it will solve a particular problem, but it only creates more problems. Also, I have bought things in the past (after much consideration even) thinking about a specific workflow or feature that I need, then after I get it, I never use it for that purpose, ever.

Bombadil wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

:party:

GAS is fascinating. No sooner had I completed my guitar collection, after much trial and error (not to mention growing despair and impatience from my wife) then my mind locked onto microphones. So, I took a step back and decided to wait. This thread actually played some part in my canceling the mic.

Do I NEED a new mic?

No.

Simple.
For me, a big part of this is a deeper exploration into the nature of so-called addictions. And while I haven't set this up to recruit you all as test subjects (I really see this as a great challenge, in and of itself), I'd be surprised if a few others didn't discover that GAS is, in many instances, nothing more than distraction

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”