Depeche is back

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote:I dont think they are aiming for teenagers
So who do you reckon is their target market these days?

I can't be the old skool fans, any new album without Alan Wilder is an instant turn-off :D
AnX wrote:Yes, VCMG - Ssss is an excellent album. Adult techno. 8)
Indeed, and great to agree about something :tu:
Last edited by Numanoid on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fedexnman wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Really disappointing - the song really is pretty terrible. DM's strength was never lyrics but these are really bad lyrics.
+1 at least they can go on tour now ... To be honest U2 , the Cure , and Depeche Mode have all kind of fizzled out musically .... I'll be fair and say Metallica too ...
They all fizzled out about 20 years ago, at least.

Numanoid wrote:

I can't be the old skool fans, any new album without Alan Wilder is a instant turn-off :D
Maybe... i said the same when VC left :hihi:

Im guessing its aimed at old and new fans, but adults who dont listen to the top 40.

Numanoid wrote:

I can't be the old skool fans, any new album without Alan Wilder is an instant turn-off :D
AnX wrote:Yes, VCMG - Ssss is an excellent album. Adult techno. 8)
Indeed, and great to agree about something :tu:
No Alan .... Yep , I think that guy was a Sampler, Synth, and arrangement genius from what I gather. Alot of old DM fans are in denial about it though .... Apparently .. :hihi:

fedexnman wrote:No Alan .... Yep , I think that guy was a Sampler, Synth, and arrangement genius from what I gather. Alot of old DM fans are in denial about it though .... Apparently .. :hihi:
DM was the perfect band in that sense, that all four members had distinct roles they excelled at:

Martin Gore: Songwriter
Alan Wilder: Producer/Engineer
Andy Fletcher: Manager
Dave Gahan: Front figure/"sex symbol"

Punk rock is not a tattoo.

You don't like it because they have a voice. It's classic DM. I do listen to top 40 radio... I don't like it most of the time, but I like to hear what people who actually make money with music do. Song writing is so much more interesting then the same 30 year old 808 4/4 with static bought sample on play.

Dasheesh wrote:but I like to hear what people who actually make money with music do.
Playing old songs live is where the gold is collected ;)

Ever since SOFAD they have released a studio album every four years, '93, '97, '01, '05, '09, '13 and now '17.

So is their inspiration only surfacing every four years, or are they contractually obliged to release an album every four years ?

:hihi: F'n lame

Numanoid wrote:Ever since SOFAD they have released a studio album every four years, '93, '97, '01, '05, '09, '13 and now '17.

So is their inspiration only surfacing every four years, or are they contractually obliged to release an album every four years ?

You give a flip either way? If you are a musician on a major label your goal is to have a contract.

...and an albumn every four years? ... we should all be so blessed. never heard of that.

Dasheesh wrote:You give a flip either way?
Now that you ask, yes I do.

I like the unpredictable release schedule of for example "Give the balance right", suddenly appearing out of nowhere, between albums. I also like the unpredicatability of having different songwriters like Two Minute Warning or If you want (two of their best tracks IMO).
If you are a musician on a major label your goal is to have a contract.
Depeche Mode made it big on a small label called Mute. Thank god!

Mute had a lot of freaking artists on it we used to listen to. Anyway, song writing for a label is just about one of the most difficult things you can do with music. It means you are writing for the masses. That means you have to give up your pride. You have to sell your soul to do it well. That's a learned skill. It's not an easy thing to do.

DM is one of the best at what they do. Still have a voice. That's nice to hear.

Indeed :tu:

And that is why it was good that they got signed on a small label like Mute. Had they been signed to EMI or Warner back in '81 they would have been kicked off the roster out in the cold after their teeny bop image had worn off following A Broken Frame.

Mute on the other hand let them mature into what they have become.

I might not like their new stuff, but I will always be a fan.

I have to admit that I like the new song better now that I've seen the video. Funny how one medium can influence your perception of another like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCR05oKROA
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”