Endless possibilities - but everyone thinking along the same route?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Surprisingly today's DJs don't jock any disks anymore, but are producers too!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Surprisingly today's DJs don't jock any disks anymore, but are producers too!
Well, some still do, but, even the best DJs have gone digital, so they aren't jockeying any discs, but the still mix tracks. I have a lot of DJ friends, many, maybe even most, produce. However, they actually do produce. They don't call DJing producing, that's called "spinning", even though nothing is actually spinning anymore.

This stupid argument reminds me of...
It's just a matter of using the normal word. You say "quasi-classical producer" in the context of this thread and I have to imagine, from the paucity of information herein, what does that the f**k mean.

It means you have a resentment of people with an aspiration you don't share? I still can't know, and it's not my fault. It's yours. Almost classical? I don't know. What does "classical" even mean?
Classical music in sensu stricto means the classical period. Which tends to move into the romantic period circa 1830s, Berlioz, maybe late Beethoven has exceeded the style.

There's a definition available. In this b r o a d usage, who knows what that signifies. THEN, quasi-classical producers.
The OP stated their disappointment at finding only EDM hacks all doing the same tiresome routine. So what are we even doing here?

If you have NOT done your due diligence in gaining chops of a certain level, and an understanding of procedures, ie., 'theory', you maybe ought to hold yourself in abeyance some. You, ghettosynth, have demonstrated to me beyond all doubt that you don't have the first clue about even 20th c *western art music*, or 'modern classical' and that you couldn't critique As Alien As on any musical grounds at all.
It 'reminded you of...' something having nothing to do with anything before you. So this reminds ME of that kind of shit. Almost classical, that seems like it's pejorative; but any number of things are 'quasi-classical'. In jazz. Say, McCartney's Oratorio. :shrug:

And then you do this bit:
"wind up 45 metronomes..." I suppose composers call that composing?
To what point, this? Why wouldn't they? Jesus. Totally obtuse. Childish.

Look, there will be many composers that don't 'produce'. They write dots on staves and get, or hope against hope to get, someone to perform it in real time. I lived like that long enough. I hankered for many sequencers I woulda had to've done more crime than I liked to to afford.
My first dozen compositions with MIDI in Cubase were extremely poor-sounding affairs, because I had to learn this whole other skill set. Mixing. It turns out it came relatively easy to me as well. For me it wasn't cheap, tho'.

I'd been a musician for 10 yrs before I decided to really write, fleshed-out type of pieces of music. I did not call myself composer before I'd heard people that were ahead of me in that area refer to me consistently as 'composer'. So if your spiel is to reverse-snob your way over people's pretensions {or arrogance}, you can't be realistically characterizing me. People are paying dues you ain't, bud.

So, look, comme çi, people announce themselves as producer, instead of musician, the sign I see is, this is not a musician. It's almost sure to be someone that doesn't know shit about music doing something that's already been done to death.

I was in Google Starbucks one LONG afternoon, dependent on the fast wi fi and downloading (Cubase Pro 9, 11.7 GB, hey) and some bitch had this EDM garbage on for hour after hour. It was ALL in C major. It ALL had the same idiot syncopation. It ALL had 4 on the Floor louder than f**k.
ONE track seemed to have a musician trying to help it, ahem, as producer. With some reasonably voiced piano.

Sorry, we need to have terms that are not just this odd subjective blurfest we're supposed to do work to grok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cF0AkC3Y9g

freeiswhenyoudon'thavetodonothinorpayfornothinwewanttobefree
Free as the wind

Zombie Queen wrote:
jancivil wrote:Did you COMPOSE something that required producing in order to present as more complete?
I think, the new idea is to take nothing and keep producing it, until it becomes a track.
Shoegazing :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

jancivil wrote: It means you have a resentment of people with an aspiration you don't share?
Pot,kettle, much?

BTW: I have no idea why you make everything about you, and your experience, and Frank Zappa, I really don't. My comments were not about this ridiculous obsession of being respected that you seem to have. It always turns into you hurling insults and getting personal so I'm not sure why you think that I should care?

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:Hi guys,

I'm just some kind of bedroom producer for fun and for myself, open for a lot of music. Mostly I listen to Ae like style, but also like 50% at home in the classical world, Shostakovich, Bruckner, also Purcell/Baroque etc. I'm playing clarinet since 5 years and currently I am recording and sorting my clarinet sounds, in order to be able to use them in whatever way. My dream is, ... I wish I could create a complex symphony from electronic instruments... which "works". "Works" to me means, in a musical way. I don't want weird instruments to be the selling point, but the music. Classical instruments work, because we learned, it's a cultural process, instrument x helps with feeling/emotion y. Electronic instruments are lacking this culture. This is basic challenge I think.
I see things also from this simple point: Classical composers like Shostakovich are great in creating complex works, great at music and music theory. They know which instrument can do what they need, which limits it has etc. etc.
But in in theory, we have more possibilities. We have an endless # of instruments (vst+fx). Still we create no big ideas. But we should be able to create even better music, but don't! Well, I want to try. Probably will fail but hey... fun.

OK, now sporadically going through the tutorials of friendly people on Youtube, I get soooo disappointed, as so many of them seem to think the same way.
- "Phat bass in Massive"
- "Phat leadz with Sylenth"
- "How to create a super wobble with serum"

I mean, they could do so much more but their way of thinking seems to lead to some generic sounding electronic dance music. It's disappointing! Guys like Ae show, there could be done so much more, just look at tracks like Pendulu Hv moda.. Open thinking! Phat Bass. Pffffft. Start experimenting with a weak bass. A broken bass. A whatever bass. A bass which is not a bass. Whatever serves the music you have in mind.
:tu: :clap:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

There are, literally, thousands of people doing stuff that isn't "generic sounding electronic dance music" and I'm not even talking about the tens of thousands of people doing not generic sounding electronic dance music.

If you're not finding it, then the problem probably isn't it, it's you.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
Seriously?

jancivil wrote:So, look, comme çi, people announce themselves as producer, instead of musician, the sign I see is, this is not a musician. It's almost sure to be someone that doesn't know shit about music doing something that's already been done to death.
Wait... So first you're here re-explaining the traditional definition of a producer, now you're insisting everyone who identifies as one is a bedroom hack. Do producers who are not primarily musicians or composers and have paid their dues not identify as such? Is Steve Albini a hack?

jancivil wrote: I was in Google Starbucks one LONG afternoon, dependent on the fast wi fi and downloading (Cubase Pro 9, 11.7 GB, hey) and some bitch had this EDM garbage on for hour after hour. It was ALL in C major. It ALL had the same idiot syncopation. It ALL had 4 on the Floor louder than f**k.
Still there are people who actually don't expect anything else in a club. I agree, however, that this kind of stuff is not for easy listeing. For me it's not listenable at all, but there is huge demand and we can't help it :shrug:

Still, I must admit that my friends once recorded great EDM mix. If you cram 100 tunes in an hour, they suprisingly feel less repetitive and quite enjoyable in fact. This kind of music was never meant to be listened beyond DJ mix.
https://www.mixcloud.com/ElectroHeads/y ... s-k-mille/
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

jancivil wrote: I was in Google Starbucks one LONG afternoon, dependent on the fast wi fi and downloading (Cubase Pro 9, 11.7 GB, hey) and some bitch had this EDM garbage on for hour after hour. It was ALL in C major. It ALL had the same idiot syncopation. It ALL had 4 on the Floor louder than f**k.
LOL! Let the hate flow through you...

It was entirely unmusical. It was entirely fabricated, directly replicated from the last thing. What's not to hate.

While YOU took shedloads of time to tell me all about your distaste for a piece of mine which everyone who understands it loves, only ever describing to me your inability to grok it, and your inability to tell me what in the music even bugged you (and then ARGUE for that position :dog: ). Clearly you often prefer to operate on another level than the real/the concrete on a forum, talking shit mostly. So was it my pretension working with that? What were you pretending to do?
You really have no clue in such a case. You have no clue about the whole concept 'composition' here, unless in your quest to seem very clever you're willing to say something completely stupid. As I recall, the metronomes concept looked at how they drifted. And what is stupid about seeing what a bunch of metronomes sounded like, different tempi all at once?

We can't talk about music here. "What did you discover in music" turns out to be what extant band or whatsit did you discover. Yeah, it's not easy to talk really about music. Talk sucks next to music.

"Endless possibilities..." hey, tell us a about classical music pretenses now.

Yeah, I hate unmusical vapid stupidity, quite a bit. I hate the absolute unwillingness to even try to do more, or is it perfectly good to slap that together with no mind at all, just in order to make a buck off of utterly vacant assholes imbibing booze and other drugs which will only make you even moreso.

Jesus. Stick to talking about filters, maybe. Ideas, you're out of your depth.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”