Endless possibilities - but everyone thinking along the same route?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: As I recall, the metronomes concept looked at how they drifted.
As usual, you completely missed my point. That said, you conflate composition and algorithm but dismiss algorithm when it doesn't suit your prejudice.

But hold on to that anger, it's hilarious,

"idiot syncopation" :lol:

Some "music" doesn't attempt to push the limits of creativity, and that's ok. In fact, when a song has a strong, full, rhythm and noise component, there's not a lot of room for melody. Does that make it less musical, or the composer a simpleton?

When does music just blur into audio? What actually has to take place here...

some quasi-classical for yez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6gHokErpc

I agree with xoxos - music has a social function. During the last 20 years I have withnessed it several times. It's even more interesting in so called 'developing countries'. Because in these countries there are still social changes occurring, and music follows. The last one I seen that is somewhat interesting is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCLfA5nq8k

In this video you see members from a pop rock band in a traditional muslim clothing, and the guy in that clothing is playing a fender strat. Why is that? It's some kind of protest I guess.

In the past there were other examples. For a long time state tv had a monopoly in Turkey. They decided what was on TV or wasn't. When that monopoly ended in early 90's, a lot of crappy pop stuff appeared. Metal bands have used this to their advantage and openly declared that stuff to be crap. Result? Rock music is still more popular in Turkey than EDM has ever been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc3XZwMtNXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I50u0luWgPY

During that era "competition" was playing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWUefF_F74U

Which is a lot worse compared to what the state tv was broadcasting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL4x_nyqzgI
Last edited by stratum on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~stratum~

ghettosynth wrote:
As usual, you completely missed my point. That said, you conflate composition and algorithm but dismiss algorithm when it doesn't suit your prejudice.
MY prejudice? What point did you actually ever articulate there? It's a lot of snark.
Yeah, I have my stance about what you do here, basically a dilettante as to this whole area but with a loud lot of opinion and 'tude. What a poseur.

camsr wrote:"idiot syncopation" :lol:

Some "music" doesn't attempt to push the limits of creativity, and that's ok.
Where you here? It's record after record of people that can't be arsed to do more than copy the other record.
It's an extremely stupid and annoying idea even done once.
It's profoundly stupid music, and my take on it is not what is ridiculous. I am in favor of creativity, YMMV. :roll:

I conflate composition and algorithm? Good grief, who exactly do you think you're kidding here?
You need to examine your own statements a minute. You won't, it's like you're the king of Dunning-Kruger Effect at this point. I don't have a high expectation of your contribution in this regards but Jesus F Christ, that's really something there. Just incredibly pretentious while clueless even as to a basic definition of the WORD composition.

Just_stop_talking. And the silly tack of 'your anger is hilarious'. When you lack any actual argument or seriousness at all, go for that.

'when I improvise, I don't think of it as composition'
SO? And you never thought about, people that DO compose may think that way. OR that the history of composers will reveal that, for instance JS Bach improvised/composed. Everybody does.
What is that, reverse snobbery, the person that isn't a composer is snarky about the very process of it?

This forum, man... time to stay away from this sick shit, Civil. FFS

jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
MY prejudice?
Yep, your prejudice. I didn't stutter.
You won't, it's like you're the king of Dunning-Kruger Effect at this point.
You owe me an irony meter.

jancivil wrote:
camsr wrote:"idiot syncopation" :lol:

Some "music" doesn't attempt to push the limits of creativity, and that's ok.
Where you here? It's record after record of people that can't be arsed to do more than copy the other record.
It's an extremely stupid and annoying idea even done once.
It's profoundly stupid music, and my take on it is not what is ridiculous. I am in favor of creativity, YMMV. :roll:
I'm pretty sure that he wasn't asking for, yet more, crude judgement from you. Rather, he was asking for you to defend your POV from an intellectual perspective. I'm just trying to help out here since you seem to be completely misunderstanding so much in this conversation.

In case anyone cares about the metronomes, I'm referring to this. It wasn't actually 45 metronomes, it's 100.
Poème symphonique is a 1962 composition by György Ligeti for 100 metronomes. It was written during his brief acquaintance with the Fluxus movement.

The piece requires ten "performers", each responsible for ten of the hundred metronomes. The metronomes are set up on the performance platform, and they are all then wound to their maximum extent and set to different speeds. Once they are all fully wound there is a silence of two to six minutes, at the discretion of the conductor, then at the conductor's signal they are all started as simultaneously as possible. The performers then leave the stage. As the metronomes wind down one after another and stop, periodicity becomes noticeable in the sound, and individual metronomes can be more clearly distinguished. The piece typically ends with just one metronome ticking alone for a few beats, followed by silence, and then the performers return to the stage (Ligeti 1962).
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody in the west had a different theory of music since the days of J.S. Bach. There is an alternative theory or arrangement in countries whose musical heritage depends on arabic/turkish makam music which rely on more complex microtonal scales which do not support complex harmony because of that very reason (apparently one cannot have complexity in two different places at the same time - after all music is supposed to be listened by human beings whose tonal perception have a limit) and that has been the same since the days of Dede Efendi. Good luck to those who think 'musical creativity' can exist without an accompanying social change.
~stratum~

DJ Warmonger wrote: You can't expect anyone to ride before they learn to walk.
Wisest thing i've read in this thread. (although, admittedly, i haven't really read much of it...)

admittedly, i haven't really read much of it...
I haven't either. It seems to be lost in details that do not actually matter.
~stratum~

Like always, i guess. :D

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”