What's not like about Kenny G?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ariston wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't even share Metheny's very subjective admiration of Armstrong.
Oh, right, we're only talking about the guy who basically put the swing in Jazz. The guy who made soloing a staple of Jazz. One of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Very subjective, indeed.

I swear, KVR sometimes. :help:
Totally
:shock:

I remember my father bringing this up, out of nowhere. One of very few conversations by phone in decades, it's how Kenny G sucks. He sucks the bone of time (the late Bob Stearman's line). There is no one more deserving of the diss, you ask me.

jancivil wrote:
ariston wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't even share Metheny's very subjective admiration of Armstrong.
Oh, right, we're only talking about the guy who basically put the swing in Jazz. The guy who made soloing a staple of Jazz. One of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Very subjective, indeed.

Totally
Don't know what your problem is. Of course he was an important musician, but Metheny's admiration was exaggerated in my view, along with the way he spoke of Kenny G. I don't think Metheny is Armstrong's representative. The latter would probably not have minded Kenny G's cover versions of his tunes at all, nor subscribed to Metheny's vulgar slating.
That's all I am saying...
A song is just a song, and the more famous it is, the more likely there will be cover versions of it.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ariston wrote:

Totally
Don't know what your problem is.
I assure you it isn't just me. Wait, I was agreeing with another person, isn't it.
FFS, you had no idea what 'blue notes' are, or why someone would want a monophonic synth. Or why anyone would care if stereo headphones were backwards. But you're quite enamored of your opinion. Go learn some basics about music, or don't.

Muted. You take up enough space for me to bother checking that box.

jancivil wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ariston wrote:

Totally
Don't know what your problem is.
I assure you it isn't just me. Wait, I was agreeing with another person, isn't it.
FFS, you had no idea what 'blue notes' are, or why someone would want a monophonic synth. Or why anyone would care if stereo headphones were backwards. But you're quite enamored of your opinion. Go learn some basics about music, or don't.

Muted. You take up enough space for me to bother checking that box.
You are putting words into my mouth there... People are free to read up the whole conversations that you "extracted" your accusations from...

There were at least half a dozen Jazz musicians of Armstrong's caliber, and that is not only my opinion.
Again, no idea what your (as in you and others agreeing with you here) problem is. Sounds like KVR fanboyism to me...
I think it is absurd for Metheny to make a fuss about Kenny G's interpretation of those old songs. Armstrong was no god, and covering his songs is not blasphemy. Metheny seems to be one of those elitist ivory tower Jazz guys who can't stand the fact that a lot of people seem to like listening to Kenny G, whom they deem musically inferior or whatever. Maybe he even is, but it's nobody's business, let alone a reason to lash out publicly the way Metheny did.

But is it Jath or Jaath? Or maybe even Jaaath?

He's better than drake :shrug:

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think it is absurd for Metheny to make a fuss about Kenny G's interpretation of those old songs. Armstrong was no god, and covering his songs is not blasphemy.
The issue here is not that he covered the song (which he didn't) but that he actually dubbed his own sax onto the Armstrong recording, suggesting a duet. I know nothing about jazz really but it sounds horrendous to my ears, like one of those youtube vids where someone shreds along to some rock record. Totally disconnected and kind of embarrassing.

Just thought of something, if pat is so wound up about kenny gee hacking all over a Louis Armstrong record, he must REALLY be upset about all the hip-hop guys that made mad cash hacking up good songs that they ripped off!

GaryG wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I think it is absurd for Metheny to make a fuss about Kenny G's interpretation of those old songs. Armstrong was no god, and covering his songs is not blasphemy.
The issue here is not that he covered the song (which he didn't) but that he actually dubbed his own sax onto the Armstrong recording, suggesting a duet. I know nothing about jazz really but it sounds horrendous to my ears, like one of those youtube vids where someone shreds along to some rock record. Totally disconnected and kind of embarrassing.
But it seems to be legal, right? 8)

AnX wrote:Switched On Bach... what a pile of shit
I was gonna point that out. (I think you're being sarcastic. If I'm wrong, well then :lol: )
We could say the same about Coltrane's beautiful (IMHO) wanking-all-over of "My Favorite Things"

Never really enjoyed Kenny G. Never disliked, simply am not... inspired? by his music.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Variations on themes are... well they're pretty much how music happens aren't they? :borg: :hug: (Where's my demonic monstrosity devouring Humans smilie?)

ghettosynth wrote:Enjoy....live even!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5jIUZuk0JQ
With or without KG, I never liked that song, it sounds a bit cheap to me and is rather naive and kitschy, like John Lennon's Imagine.

context is everything. that was armstrongs "people should love each other" anthem.

kenny g is an excellent sax player. the thing is he kind of stole grover washingtons mellow soprano sax style and took it over. then he kind of ran it so far into the ground it kind of killed soprano sax for a lot of people.

metheny is berklee and theyre all snobby and theyve kind of killed jazz entirely. so much teamkilling in jazz that its no wonder they score so low, right?

thing is louis was a great sport and a fun guy and showed up in a lot of things where i am sure his jazz buddies were saying "why did you do that?"

overall lets not forget trumpet is a whole lot harder to play than sax or guitar.

so i give louis a lot of credit and if i was nixon i wouldve carried his pot too.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”