The most horrible plugin company names?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lol, yeah, Melda isn't real attractive, is it

jancivil wrote:The only thing I've noticed real negatively was 'COCKOS', like really?
Apparently it's from the movie Office Space, where a character exclaims "Cockos!" as in "That's bullshit."

I always thought it sounded like an x-rated cereal or canned pasta. And, when combined with Jesusonic, it definitely comes across as them trying to be edgy just for the sake of it. They also have a program called "Assniffer" (auto-saving sniffer). Cringey as f**k.

Oh well, they still get my money every 2 versions.

funky lime wrote:Apparently it's from the movie Office Space, where a character exclaims "Cockos!" as in "That's bullshit."
So, we have both Cockos and Bullshit Audio explained.... :hihi:

In Act II, Scene II of the play, the line is said by Juliet in reference to Romeo's house, Montague which would imply that his name means nothing and they should be together.

Juliet:

O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Romeo:

[Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

Juliet:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:In Act II, Scene II of the play, the line is said by Juliet in reference to Romeo's house, Montague which would imply that his name means nothing and they should be together.

Juliet:

Romeo:

Juliet:

;
Take all myself.
Most English speaking people dont know wtf Shakespear was talking about, thats why they have to 'teach' it to 16 year olds at 'A level'
Amazon: why not use an alternative

poodle-perm-software

It's not really the name of a plug-in company but if it was ... it would be horrible.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

murnau wrote:In Act II, Scene II of the play, the line is said by Juliet in reference to Romeo's house, Montague which would imply that his name means nothing and they should be together.

Juliet:

Romeo:

Juliet:

;
Take all myself.
It's a nice thought, but it's not like the play just ended right then and there.

ENV1 wrote:On a more funny note: A few weeks ago there was this advertisement or something in the sidebar from an outlet named 'DailyBeats'. Nothing strange in the english language, however, if you take that and translate it to german you get 'tägliche Schläge', which a german speaking person would interpret to mean 'daily beatings'. (Spank, spank.)

I found that quite hilarious. :lol: And there is a lot more like that. Many outlet names (and product names too) work fine in english, but when you translate them to german its becoming pure comedy. Ask any german how 'Süchtigmachende Trommeln' sounds to them. Or 'Schlagschachtel'. :D
This is to be expected though, given that words have more than one meaning/translation. Like I always wonder what the Deutsche Bank has to do with benches (not really)... Funnier to me are things like "Qualcomm", which is presumably a portmonteau of quality and communications. In German however, that looks more like a portmonteau of "tortuous" and "communications". Not exactly the quality you want associated with your product.

What's a lot more worrying is the trend towards using English names and slogans for things in German-speaking countries (and presumably others), without understanding the connotations of those words. Sometimes it verges on Denglish, sometimes it's just bizarre. Here are a few examples that I can think off of the top of my head:
  • "Girly run" - a city-sponsored 5km run for women. Presumably you get disqualified if you don't flap your wrists enough. I can't think of any context where "girly" has positive connotations; and do grown women really want to be described as "girly"?
  • There's a local company by the name of "ASS BROS" (I think it's an abbreviation). Go figure.
  • "Coffee to go" has the tagline "now also to take away" ("jetzt auch zum mitnehmen"). Yes, I'd like a coffee to go to stay please.
  • A local shopping centre has the slogan "unexpected shopping". Yes, when I go to a shopping, centre, buying stuff is that last thing I expect to happen.
  • There's also a local plumber whose van features the word "Wanker" is massive script. It's actually the guy's surname, but an extremely unfortunate one.
The internet is full of a lot more embarassing examples like this. These are just some that I've spotted myself and can remember.

Coming back on topic, I do think that some of the names listed here aren't actually terrible. The thread has kind of devloved into a list every plugin/company (which I guess is the KVR way). Sure, some of the names aren't good, but WORST NAME EVAH? Really? You guys need to get out more :)

Bullsh!t Audio Tech! (I believe that is the correct orthography) is both the best and worst IMO. Cockos is pretty bad, and doesn't have the redeeming feature of being instantly memorable.

Things like Native Instruments? I don't buy it. Especially not if you know what "native" means. And even if you don't, is it really that terrible?

sjm wrote: Native Instruments? I don't buy it. Especially not if you know what "native" means. And even if you don't, is it really that terrible?
I figured it refers to 'native plugins' rather than DSP which requires a card to run.

funky lime wrote:
jancivil wrote:The only thing I've noticed real negatively was 'COCKOS', like really?
an x-rated cereal
Yes. :hihi:

I wish there was a plugin dev called London Town, because then thread titles would be "New thing from London Town"

Geddit ?

Nyrv

Makes me think of Elaine Benes facial expression when not liking something

melda is soooo bad. "Melda Production" bwaaaahahaha holy shit.

sjm wrote:Like I always wonder what the Deutsche Bank has to do with benches (not really)...
Bank, benches - has to do with the very early days of banking in Italy in the Middle Ages. They used to lend money on the market, on benches, ok, call it tables. The Italian word was 'banco'. And when a money lender went broke, the custom was to break the bench - what they called 'banco ropto' = bankrupt. Roman languages and all that.

acYm wrote:melda is soooo bad. "Melda Production" bwaaaahahaha holy shit.
Yeah I know :D :D but I came up with it when I was 10 and it was my dream! :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”