cm magazine - from cmVault to FileSilo

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With effect from cm246 (September 2017 issue), Computer Music magazine is switching to a new downloads web site - filesilo.co.uk

I registered earlier today and ran into a couple of problems:
  • (a) I use NoScript in Firefox and allowed filesilo.co.uk, but the "I am not a robot" reCaptcha button was not displayed, so on clicking [Register] I was advised that I was a robot. I had to allow everything on the page to get it to display properly.
    (b) To register cm246, you need to go to the home page for cm.
    (c) I did not notice until too late that download managers should not be used (it's in the FAQs) - DownThemAll stopped at 99% and would not complete the download. I used Firefox's own File Save which worked OK.
I did see somewhere that there will be a mechanism later to transfer issues registered in cmVault across to FileSilo.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Do they allow the old CM Vault logins at least?

Edit: Nope, they don't...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/0 ... passwords/

Probably needs a security check before you use the site.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

I just registered, and don't get a confirmation email. Great. :?

khanyz wrote:https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/0 ... passwords/

Probably needs a security check before you use the site.
Jeeez, how long had it actually been up before that happened ?!

Vault users can set up their FileSilo account via this page:

https://www.filesilo.co.uk/vault/

Enter your email address and you'll be sent a new password.

Note that we're still migrating content across from Vault, so pre-CM246 issues will appear over the coming days.

If anyone needs FileSilo-related help, please email computermusic@futurenet.com.

Cheers,

Joe Rossitter
Editor
Computer Music

Is there still little to no security, such a plain text password storage?

Personally, I'm just not going to use it without some kind of reassurance after the hack.

Well, not playing the "devil's advocate" or something, but, assuming that it still was like that (we don't know), passwords, and maybe email (dunno how that is stored) can only be snooped out when the site is hacked, right? I mean, i do hope they make the site as secure as possible, but, right now, i don't see much of a danger, because i usually don't use my passwords for other sites too, and my email adress is probably already floating all over the net, and the most dangerous thing which would happen, again, when the site is hacked, is that they get a password which is not used anywhere else, and a email adress, which is already getting spammed, so...

BTW, i just changed my password for the site, using my Vault login, with the link described above. Got the FileSilo email, but, it went to my email providers jumk folder, so i had to mark it as no spam... was able to change my password then, and log in. Site seems nice so far.

Also, just to be clear, those security issues were with FileSilo v1. It's now been upgraded to version 2, which is 100% secure.

Cheers,

Joe Rossitter
Editor
Computer Music

Thanks for confirming. :tu:

Joe CM wrote:Also, just to be clear, those security issues were with FileSilo v1. It's now been upgraded to version 2, which is 100% secure.

Cheers,

Joe Rossitter
Editor
Computer Music
What are the password requirements for FileSilo, including min/max lengths?

I tried a few but all were rejected as not Medium strength. They were all very strong, with lengths from 20 to 64 characters and included lower & upper cases, numbers and symbols.

It's a bug in the password update page, if I type garbage in to get a strong indication, then paste the strong password into both fields, it works. It won't detect/accept it if you just paste. This is in Safari on iOS (10.3.2).

That's 100% secure is it? The password page has to be hacked to work. Can't wait to see what other shonky coding there is.

Definitely use at your own risk.

In the latest issue it is stated:
FileSilo will replace our old Vault system, and you'll soon be able to migrate your mags from one to the other. To find out more, head to bit.ly/CMsiloFAQ
But that link isn't working?

chk071 wrote:I just registered, and don't get a confirmation email. Great. :?
I can't remember signing up with them before, but they already had my E-mail, so I requested a new password which I got delivered quickly, making me able to sign in.

I probably must have signed up with them for some freebie some while ago...

chk071 wrote:Do they allow the old CM Vault logins at least?

Edit: Nope, they don't...
That's strange, I can still log in to the vault. No problems here.

Still I was gonna go ahead and set up an account on FileSilo, but I cannot get the damn "log in" button to work on FileSilo to work. I've tried 3 browsers! :x :x :x
Last edited by Russell Grand on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”