Are there any music mentors on this site

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The reason I ask is
If one of your students came to you and said I want to learn to write a song.
Where do i start. What Would you say to them.
Here's the thing a mate of mine is thinking about paying a fortune for one of these famous mentors on the songwriting academy.
But what can you learn from a mentor that you couldn't learn for free on a forum such as this or youtube etc.

I say; - Imitate what you like and just do it.

We all imitate, it's inevitable and your own voice will always shine thru. It's not like learning another skill where bending the "rules" can be a bad thing. Writing songs that is different is a goal in itself so not knowing too much about how it's always been done can actually be a good thing.

It's a different story when learning an instrument to play in a band then you really need a common language and can learn a lot from others. Forget about songwriting academies unless you want to sound exactly like someone else, what's the point of that?

If the student needs inspiration maybe they could watch one of these.

https://www.masterclass.com
:borg:

If the 'student' has it in him/her, they'll do it themselves with no "mentoring" at all. They should get out in the world and learn from actual people in real time in authentic exchanges. A life in music. Organically. That's a scam, that shit is for suckers.

jancivil wrote:If the 'student' has it in him/her, they'll do it themselves with no "mentoring" at all. They should get out in the world and learn from actual people in real time in authentic exchanges. A life in music. Organically. That's a scam, that shit is for suckers.
:tu:

Mozart studied, and achieved complete success.

BB King played, and achieved complete success.

I think it has more to do with your talent and will to succeed, honestly. But I think you should take advantage yourself of all the opportunities available. It doesn't seem to matter if you learn of possibilities through a book or through your ears.

To everybody: best of luck, and make some music!
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Mozart was also extremely intelligent, quite possibly a genius.

https://www.thoughtco.com/profile-of-wo ... rt-2456103

https://www.thoughtco.com/wolfgang-amad ... igy-723779

Not everyone can be a mozart.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

Mozart is not a great example since he could transcribe full orchestrations as a small child and was composing quite early. But he appeared to have an orthodox musical education. Which was not part of the question at_all. Get_out_in_the_world and have an authentic exchange with people. It may or may not mean going to school or finding a teacher.

Paul8447 wrote:But what can you learn from a mentor that you couldn't learn for free on a forum such as this or youtube etc.
Plenty in short time and exactly what you need in every point in time.

I'm known locally as "the guy that makes music" and was happy to teach anyone that approached me everything I know, spent days and nights with them trying to make that journey as enjoyable as possible.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

edit:

A'right, nobody cried out loud, so the (industry) fake wasn't that obvious.

Therefore I withdraw the post, leaving us with the question if Mozart might have been the very first marketing subject in music history...

Zexila wrote:
Paul8447 wrote:But what can you learn from a mentor that you couldn't learn for free on a forum such as this or youtube etc.
the actual question you're answering involves this:

https://www.facebook.com/thesongwritingacademy/

<one-day songwriting course, 27 pound

And I tend to doubt you'd have had "exactly what" I "need in/sic every point in time". Even if you could read minds.

jancivil wrote:
Zexila wrote:
the actual question you're answering involves this:

https://www.facebook.com/thesongwritingacademy/

<one-day songwriting course, 27 pound

And I tend to doubt you'd have had "exactly what" I "need in/sic every point in time". Even if you could read minds.
Wasn't talking about that specific thing, but mentoring globally, my bad probably. :oops:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Some of the best songs ever written and recorded are some of the simplest ever written and recorded. Simple and repetitive structure. Simple but effective hooks. Depends on the type of song you want to write, but whatever the style, start simple and build on top of that. Or maybe just keep it simple forever if that's your thing. For example I posted in the "favorite bass lines" thread the song "Low Rider" by War. It's literally 1 chord, repetitive lyrical structure, and a cool horn hook... but I love it because of it's simplicity and grooviness. Another good example is James Brown's "Gonna Have a Funky Good Time". It's all about the jam, and is about as uncomplicated as you could get. Lots of other blues and rock examples, of course, but the same principal can certainly apply to any other genre...

The hard part, IMO, is being a effective lyricist, if your song needs that. I think it's hard to not fall into trite cliches... stuff about "lights of the boulevard" and overly mushy love stuff... but also avoiding over use of rhyming... to her husband Yoko Ono once famously said "you're a good songwriter, but it's not moon-June-or-spoon songs that you write". My stuff is primarily instrumental (I'm a hobbyist, BTW) so I don't make lyrics a particular focus... but even there simplicity can be your friend.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Well, the word mentor suggests a thing that I would avoid in learning musical craft. Mentor takes you under his/her wing and you're like apprenticing or something. It's like a guru. The danger is someone who will be creating a Mini Me out of it. I say get out and ask questions of everybody you can who has anything you don't know going on. And get a lot of different influence and experience playing with people. But be social and be persistent, don't worry about being a pest, most people are happy to be asked IME.

Conversely, Indian Classical Musicians get a guru and live in his house and be a servant to the mofo for years. That's a discipline which has very established practices. Songwriting was the idea in the OP and that rather requires individuation and developing one's own personality if it's going to be compelling as an art form type of deal.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”