Making music vs Performing It

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In fact, since Belew was mentioned, I've never seen him solo or in regular bands (barring the clips I watched here in this thread), but I absolutely enjoy his contributions to NIN. Those contributions might be processed to death and half-buried, but they wouldn't be possible without his skill. I respect his skill, therefore.

I DID watch a video of him talking about, and demonstrating, his signature weird guitar noises and that was pretty cool!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

aMUSEd wrote:Don't see a difference, I make music as I perform it
I'm interested in this statement. Are you saying that your performances are your compositional acts? That they're one and the same?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

vurt wrote: luckily i dont use capitals or that weird language.
You're one of em. Edgetwat.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
jancivil wrote:Believe it or not, I keep my 'mouth' shut like 98.7% of the time. But I've now seen 'I hate guitar solos' one or three too many times.
I don't hate guitar solos. I'm just not interested in them being the majority of a song, and I'm generally not into the music style they are most often found in.
There is a single music style where 'guitar solos' are 'the majority of a song' is there?

NB: the first sentence in your quote of me. Why would one rather talk about what they like rather than this?

Jace-BeOS wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Don't see a difference, I make music as I perform it
I'm interested in this statement. Are you saying that your performances are your compositional acts? That they're one and the same?
Ever hear of improvisation? Composing in real-time, even.

Jace-BeOS wrote:I don't hate guitar solos. I'm just not interested in them being the majority of a song...
I agree. Too many guitar solos out there that are essentially just wankery for the sake of it. I like guitar solos that serve a purpose. It's fine for breaking up a song, fine as a hook. But I don't want to listen to some guy - presumably with his tongue stuck out - noodling away with no real sense of purpose for 7 minutes.

I like Mark Knopfler's playing, because it tends to serve the song. Mike Oldfield does a great solo in Moonlight Shadow. They both also know when to shut up and dial it back.

There's too many divas on lead guitar, and far too much showmanship in certain circles/genres, where technical ability seems to count for more than a good tune. The solo in Fight For Your Right fits perfectly, and it's pretty much as simple as they get.

jancivil wrote:There is a single music style where 'guitar solos' are 'the majority of a song' is there?
Noodle metal, or whatever it's called, seems like a prime candidate, no?

(click on the link to jump directly to the "interesting" part, rather than watch this freight train wreck in its entirety)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcBKVKQizg&t=2m24s

sjm wrote:
jancivil wrote:There is a single music style where 'guitar solos' are 'the majority of a song' is there?

(click on the link to jump directly to the "interesting" part, rather than watch this freight train wreck in its entirety)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcBKVKQizg&t=2m24s
If the 'interesting' part is the majority of the song, Why would you have to go over half way into the song to hear it?

The only music I am familiar with where the solo is the whole song would be Joe Satriani's.

Frank Zappa made 3 albums of guitar solos, but they formed less than 5% of his total recorded output.

Because the other solo is naff. Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1ajH32U-k

Satriani also sprang to mind. But it's a lot better than the drivel I posted, let's be honest. Still bores me though.

So, in order to ding me on a comment, this one video amounts to a musical style all by itself.

sjm wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I don't hate guitar solos. I'm just not interested in them being the majority of a song...
I agree. Too many guitar solos out there that are essentially just wankery for the sake of it. I like guitar solos that serve a purpose. It's fine for breaking up a song, fine as a hook. But I don't want to listen to some guy - presumably with his tongue stuck out - noodling away with no real sense of purpose for 7 minutes.
Oh, why not, it's either rampant purposeless wankery or it's good for the two very limited things. Yeah, that's persuasive.

sjm wrote:The solo in Fight For Your Right fits perfectly, and it's pretty much as simple as they get.
The mighty Kerry King played it. I always like the solos in Slayer's songs as well; again fit the music perfectly - mental, ludicrous and over the top, and fast.

sjm wrote:
First I heard of it. As a point for debate this seems rather ad culum to me.

I would rather ask:

Do the old generation wants more professional live bands and show with less dancers on the stage?

Do the new generation wants ols style live shows?

Do the new generation goes to concerts?
Guitar, Drum and Bass sample libraries for Kontakt
www.pettinhouse.com

It just seems too obvious that, yes, there is some real crap where people have no real ideas but they have to show off some dexterity, or whatever is in their head; but that doesn't amount to more than it is.
herodotus wrote: The only music I am familiar with where the solo is the whole song would be Joe Satriani's.

Frank Zappa made 3 albums of guitar solos, but they formed less than 5% of his total recorded output.
I'm not real familiar with Satriani's music. Once I found out during a wiki search that a bass player I know well was (is? donno) in Satriani's 2010 thru I don't know when group - with Mike Keneally - I checked out a few things on youtube. Pretty song-oriented. He's very fluid. He's also very musical.
No one is more fluid than Jeff Beck, however.

I was thinking about this the other day. When I bought Guitar (the follow-up to Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar, ca 1989), it was too much guitar soloism in one place for me. There are things I really don't need to hear on that.
But recently I have encountered some absolutely fantastic cuts on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSdyqP3wv4

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”