Room acoustical treatment...for suckers?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was watching a high-end audio equipment video today. The demonstrator points out these wooden posts holding small black disks and claiming they tune the room, changing it's acoustical dimensions.
Well, I looked into this a bit, and it seems similar to ideas such as Feng-Shui or Tai Chi but claiming re-balancing of audible dis-harmony.

Is there a place for these disks in YOUR studio space? :hyper: :roll:
http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct_4.html

https://youtu.be/fr8O_jZhpl4?t=6m42s
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:Was watching a high-end audio equipment video today. The demonstrator points out these wooden posts holding small black disks and claiming they tune the room, changing it's acoustical dimensions.
Well, I looked into this a bit, and it seems similar to ideas such as Feng-Shui or Tai Chi but claiming re-balancing of audible dis-harmony.

Is there a place for these disks in YOUR studio space? :hyper: :roll:
http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct_4.html

https://youtu.be/fr8O_jZhpl4?t=6m42s
some serious gear in their hifi gallery pics :shock:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Doesn't it strike you funny that the people that spend multiple thousands on equipment to get near perfect reproduction will also invest in magical disks to make it all come finally together? :lol:

annode wrote:
Doesn't it strike you funny that the people that spend multiple thousands on equipment to get near perfect reproduction will also invest in magical disks to make it all come finally together? :lol:
:hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

annode wrote:

those black disks are a con. totally.

these grey ones (charcoal grey) that i have for sale are the real deal though.
and only £1000 each when you buy 4 :)

Legacy Audio systems have a staff of 25 knock-out bonobo chimps from Borneo genetically engineered with extra-human dexterity.
Each chimp hand wires every component and blows the special titanium infused glass amplification tubes. The speaker enclosures require 13000 hrs of polishing. More then the mirrors presently being built by NASA for the James Webb Space Telescope.

The "Technical Report" is hilarious. They tell you to put the discs on a turnable. Okay, reasonable within the conceit of being acoustic resonators. Then they tell you to put the discs on a CD player. And above power sockets.

Umm .. going to take the liberty of going OT but do you even know what taichi is? Sure if you're talking about the new age dance then I don't think anyone really knows what that is. But if you talking about the martial art, then it's only one of the best martial arts ever developed.

maschinelf wrote:Umm .. going to take the liberty of going OT but do you even know what taichi is? Sure if you're talking about the new age dance then I don't think anyone really knows what that is. But if you talking about the martial art, then it's only one of the best martial arts ever developed.
I think your confusing tai chi with Taekwondo.

maschinelf wrote:Umm .. going to take the liberty of going OT but do you even know what taichi is? Sure if you're talking about the new age dance then I don't think anyone really knows what that is. But if you talking about the martial art, then it's only one of the best martial arts ever developed.

so long as your attacker comes at you in slo mo!

yes, i know tai chi has benefits for the body. i do it, some patterns, to aid with my arthritis.

I just don't get it.

Fiberglass is cheap. It's easy to install, and it can be covered with cloth of any color or pattern to mix into any decor.

Skyline diffusors are cheap and easy to make and can be made out of almost any kind of wood. They can be painted or stained or varnished to fit in any decor.

The efficacy of treatments like these has been scientifically demonstrated and is obvious to the ear. Instructions for their construction and installation are easily available for free on the web.

And yet, people spend their money on magic discs and Brilliant Pebbles.

Amazing.

vurt wrote:

so long as your attacker comes at you in slo mo!

yes, i know tai chi has benefits for the body. i do it, some patterns, to aid with my arthritis.
:tu: :box:

herodotus wrote:I just don't get it.

Fiberglass is cheap. It's easy to install, and it can be covered with cloth of any color or pattern to mix into any decor.

Skyline diffusors are cheap and easy to make and can be made out of almost any kind of wood. They can be painted or stained or varnished to fit in any decor.

The efficacy of treatments like these has been scientifically demonstrated and is obvious to the ear. Instructions for their construction and installation are easily available for free on the web.

And yet, people spend their money on magic discs and Brilliant Pebbles.

Amazing.
ive swapped all the knobs on all my synths for mahogany with ebony caps.
it sounds at least 28% more real. its like im in the room with me when im recording :o

That magic disk company also make a speaker platform that sits on 4 industrial diamonds that are said to act like diodes...letting the bad energy out without letting it feedback in again. The guy in the vid I posted demonstrates that.

There may be a certain OCD nature with serious audiophiles. This might explain buying something based on how you feel about it.
Last edited by annode on Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annode wrote: There may be a certain OCD nature with serious audio-files. This might explain buying something based on how you feel about it.
no kidding, its no coincidence patrick bateman was an audiophile ;)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”