why is it hard to write good music?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IncarnateX wrote:
Mike777 wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:... but the music I make is for me and nobody else.

So every song you make you play back just for you and make sure no else hears it. Ok.
Now you are misinterpreting. Never said it was a secret, just that I really do not care whether people like it or not. Only opinion that would have an impact is my own.

Actually my music is not necessarily meant to please me as listener as much as it is fun for me to compose. There goes a lot more music theoretical experimentation into it than meets the ear.

Here it is FYI:
thanks for link, like what I hear so far bty. Opinions are one thing, and often of little value. What I prefer and have often asked for, is honest critique. And when I did, I got them. I would think about them. I have to say they helped me. A critique from someone more skilled in the genre I was working in, is actually very valuable. I would reach a point of development and keep writing same thing over and over. You kinda stuck at a musical place. When this happened I would listen to others and ask how they made what they made. What instruments etc. And another question. There's always more to learn.

When I was aquiring my skills and studying music, criticism was important, so I can follow you just fine in this regard. When learning your thing, you need someone better than you to kick your butt to increase your motivation and efforts. But at certain point, you will get self-propelled and if you do not have any commercial interests, you are free as a bird to do what you like. Well, in principle. I think it would still demotivate me if people wrote a lot of negative and patronizing comments on my cloud, but fortunately such kind of anti-encouraging degenerated A-holes prefer to write novels on internet forums and are too lazy to even listen, so it is usually easy to avoid them.

Add: I do not think I even would use the distinction between “good” or “bad” music as far as my own taste concerns but would rather use “music i prefer listening to” and “music I do not prefer listening to” to underline that it is but an expression of personal preferences.

If you want to treat music objectively, I think you have to detach it from your personal preferences or any other statements of value, e.g. high or low “quality”, and instead make use of terms that make sense in an objective language like “more/less complex” , “more/less rhytmical”, “more/less atonal”, “more/less harmonized” , “more/less counterpoints”, “more/less melody based” ect. At least I have never seen any valid suggestions on how such dichotomies can be said to be locked into any correlations with “good/bad”. A little arrogantly, I may even suggest that if you insist they are, you haven’t got a grib about what music is in the first place, namely structured auditory stimulation that any brain could either endorse or decline under different circumstances; upbringing, culture, exposere and not at least interaction with other musicians. You insist that some music is objectively bad? Well, that tells me more about your narrow and misconcepted views of music than states anything about the nature of it. I did not fancy classical music or Jazz when I entered music school. Today I am so grateful that I had to get into it to get my diploma, because it expanded the scope of styles I can embrace and in addition gave me a lot of tools and thus freedom of choice to make my own.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike777 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Mike777 wrote: A melody sticking around one or two notes too much becomes tiring, that's not good.
Except when it is. Solo begins at 55 seconds...
[...]

... what's too long?
It's like defining obscenity: You know it when you hear it.
Whether something is tiring or not is completely context dependent.
Yes to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opp62xFDygY

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”