Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GaryG wrote:Typing on that keyboard will seriously mess your wrists up. ;)
typing yes, but I love the idea for keystroke shortcuts. I'm limited in space as well and having a dedicated machine for music that does not go online, does not get used for word processing and the only typing is labels I often think about how much of a pita a qwerty can be when you rarely use it for it's main purpose. I got around this by accident tbh, I have a Roland A33 controller where he has his console and I do have a huge drawer under my desk but I am modding that space for a place for my Venom. So I used a metal grat I have hear that I accidentally discovered slides above the buttons on my Roland, fits perfect and also makes a level platform for the qwerty...:)

that can slide the whole length of the A33 or just be lifted off, slides smooth but it's quite rigid when typing on it.

Good to see you crimson :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
typing yes, but I love the idea for keystroke shortcuts.
I think he actually meant the fact that my keyboard is standing upward in its loader :D
Hink wrote:Good to see you crimson :)
Back at you, Hink :wink:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:
Hink wrote:
typing yes, but I love the idea for keystroke shortcuts.
I think he actually meant the fact that my keyboard is standing upward in its loader :D
Hink wrote:Good to see you crimson :)
Back at you, Hink :wink:
That's what I meant and I cant stop thinking about your idea since, to have the board vertical like that for keystrokes which is the main use of my qwerty is the bomb...at least in my set up which is small as well...I might steal your idea ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:That's what I meant and I cant stop thinking about your idea since, to have the board vertical like that for keystrokes which is the main use of my qwerty is the bomb...at least in my set up which is small as well...I might steal your idea ;)
Hahaha... so it was me not getting 'it'. I must be getting old (no. really...) :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
Hink wrote:That's what I meant and I cant stop thinking about your idea since, to have the board vertical like that for keystrokes which is the main use of my qwerty is the bomb...at least in my set up which is small as well...I might steal your idea ;)
Hahaha... so it was me not getting 'it'. I must be getting old (no. really...) :D
that makes two of us :hihi:

No studio view, but something else I'm proud of, as it's just as important in a rec room as as having a good workspace in the monitor room.

Just finished building the lower half of my "large gobo".

Front view:

Back view:

Two Gobo's and one corner trap:

The 2D QRD-Diffusor's are by HOFA (3x), didn't find a place for them yet.

GOBO / Corner Absorber Details:
The large GOBO is a 125x100x20cm (inside) design. The inside is filled with 10+4cm Rockwool (7kPa), the front and back is a linen covered (stapled on, two sides, 165g/sqm) wooden frame, attached to the large frame with brackets.

For portability, I mounted handles. The top design of the large GOBO will change. It will be an indepentent box that I can easily lift on top of the other box to create a "large GOBO", and if I don't need that, then I can split the GOBO into two to create a small booth for guitar amps or something.

The small GOBO is a 190x80x20cm (inside) design. Yes, that is a 8cm thick foldable mattress just pressed into it. No handles mounted yet (thinking about it). Will eventually build a second one to create some sort of flexible recording booth.

Don't know yet where to put the 2D QRD's. And if you're asking, the corner absorbers are 8cm (top) and 10cm (bottom) Rockwool, wrapped in linen (nothing stapled!), then pressed into 100x62,5x12cm (inside) frames. Mounted diagionally to the wall with picture brads, eyelet's and zipties(!).

If you're courious about the wood type:
Spruce/Fir (read: soft and light wood), 18-19mm thick. Frames are not screwed together, they were only glued with pegs/dowels as support. Then stained to get an oak and dark walnut look, then covered with two layers of transparent varnish (aqua based).

Now I only need to find the mood to finish the top part as well (read below, why). Because it only lacks the frames (with linen) and the bottom slat (along with staining and varnishing). Not to mention a sh*tload of dowel holes.

The other stuff took me way too long already.

Example (Corner and Wall Absorber):
Buying wood - half a day
Preparing (drilling holes, sanding) and glueing - 1 day
Staining - 1 day
Sanding and varnishing (layer 1) - 1 day
Second layer of varnish - 1 day
Wrapping Rockwool - half a day to 1 day (cutting linen, ironing, wrapping, mounting)

If I'm experimental in terms of dual color staining, then add yet another day. And in case of the GOBO, creating two wooden frames (glueing, stapling) took half a day, plus one day for drying, then another day for fixing (cutting to size if I did a mistake) and covering, plus a couple of hours for mounting.

So for Wall absorbers: 5 days
For a GOBO (full treatment): 7-8 days

And all with handtools (incl. Jigsaw and powered drill) and no help.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Just to keep this going :D

This is the current status of my mixing desk (now again with two monitors:

michat wrote:Sooooo,

here it is, finally.
Everything was done with parts that I already had. I just bought some paint to get the things white and some small parts, all in all 120€ :)

But first.......a photo from before:

And now:

Four weeks of hard work after dayjob and on weekends...

8)
Very cool work michat. I spot an SY99 there. I have an SY77 I've had since the early 90's and STILL use it for a large part of my work. Great workstation synths IMHO and, for me anyway, irreplaceable.

Do I spot a Sony TC399 in a custom case? ...and an SL1200 MK2.

I'm curious about your white monitors though.

crimsonwarlock wrote:Just to keep this going :D

This is the current status of my mixing desk (now again with two monitors:

I spy White Tie Imperial on your monitors ;)

AusDisciple wrote:I spy White Tie Imperial on your monitors ;)
Hi Dave... indeed, and switching to Imperial actually made a huge impact on my workflow. So much that I brought back the second 24 inch screen that I had taken out of my studio before, because it simply didn't got used by other themes. Because of my decades of experience with hardware (I know you know what I mean :hihi: ), the Imperial theme simply let me find setting faster then other themes do.

If you look one page back you'll see some more pics of my small studio, when there was only one screen. But they also show a bit more of the rest of my gear (not much these days, sold all of my keyboard synths years ago, only have a K1-rII and a D-4 lying around). Visible on the pictures, but most people don't recognize it, is my Yamaha WX-5 :D

crimsonwarlock wrote:
AusDisciple wrote:I spy White Tie Imperial on your monitors ;)
Hi Dave... indeed, and switching to Imperial actually made a huge impact on my workflow. So much that I brought back the second 24 inch screen that I had taken out of my studio before, because it simply didn't got used by other themes. Because of my decades of experience with hardware (I know you know what I mean :hihi: ), the Imperial theme simply let me find setting faster then other themes do.

If you look one page back you'll see some more pics of my small studio, when there was only one screen. But they also show a bit more of the rest of my gear (not much these days, sold all of my keyboard synths years ago, only have a K1-rII and a D-4 lying around). Visible on the pictures, but most people don't recognize it, is my Yamaha WX-5 :D
Are you a wind player too? I didn't see the WX5 but I'm guessing that's it's in it's case sitting at the right of your desk.

As for REAPER themes, WT Imperial is one very inspiring piece of work and I know exactly what you mean about needing that extra monitor. The only thing with it is I didn't see an option for width controls in any of the layouts (unless I missed something). Nonetheless, Mr Tie is certainly one talented designer.
I've borrowed a few of his WALTER tweaks for use in my theme too which I have just been updating. I'm about to read through his WALTER manual again and have a play around with knob stacks.
If you haven't seen it already, I've uploaded the first of the new updates of my theme to the Stash. The link is in my REAPER forum signature.

Oh yeah, I'll have to take some new photo's of my current studio setup and post them here. I've finished rebuilding my false ceiling and redesigned the keyboard rig layout underneath it. The keyboard rig now has a few additional keyboards too (just in case it wasn't big enough before!!) :D

AusDisciple wrote:Are you a wind player too? I didn't see the WX5 but I'm guessing that's it's in it's case sitting at the right of your desk.
You're correct that it's at the right of the desk. In the picture you quoted you can just see a part of the silver top-side adjacent right of the Korg PADkontrol.

I wouldn't call myself a wind player (yet), I'm first and foremost a keyboard player and have played as such in bands for a few decades (mostly progressive symphonic rock), done some session work back in the days as well. I'm just dabbling with the WX-5 but hope to get better at it. I'm a better drummer then I'm a wind player, and I'm no drummer (although I can find my way on a drumkit, again a little) ;)
AusDisciple wrote:As for REAPER themes, WT Imperial is one very inspiring piece of work and I know exactly what you mean about needing that extra monitor. The only thing with it is I didn't see an option for width controls in any of the layouts (unless I missed something). Nonetheless, Mr Tie is certainly one talented designer.
I guess you mean the alternate panning controls, they are all there. You can right click on any panning section in any track-layout and swith it to the other panning layouts.
AusDisciple wrote:I've borrowed a few of his WALTER tweaks for use in my theme too which I have just been updating. I'm about to read through his WALTER manual again and have a play around with knob stacks.
If you haven't seen it already, I've uploaded the first of the new updates of my theme to the Stash. The link is in my REAPER forum signature.
Yep, I follow your topics so I've seen it :D
AusDisciple wrote:Oh yeah, I'll have to take some new photo's of my current studio setup and post them here. I've finished rebuilding my false ceiling and redesigned the keyboard rig layout underneath it. The keyboard rig now has a few additional keyboards too (just in case it wasn't big enough before!!) :D
I like to see your progress there as well. I'm going to start building basstraps, hopefully next weekend or some such. After that I'm thinking about slot resonators.

AusDisciple wrote: Very cool work michat. I spot an SY99 there. I have an SY77 I've had since the early 90's and STILL use it for a large part of my work. Great workstation synths IMHO and, for me anyway, irreplaceable.

Do I spot a Sony TC399 in a custom case? ...and an SL1200 MK2.

I'm curious about your white monitors though.
Thanks a lot!

Yes, I love the SY99 and use it every time working in my home studio.
First it's simply cool, I like the hybrid FM/AWM system + filter
and the reverbs :wink:

I also made some sets with old drumcomputer sounds

+ it's a wonderful master keyboard 8)

Aaand yep! A TC399, custom painted in white :love:

The turntable is just an American Audio TTD2400 with USB-port.
Cheap but does it's job (surely because of the audio technica system :) )

The white monitors ...... I don't know...
It was a gift, badly painted, so I rebuilt them.
All I can say that the speakers and the crossover are from vifä acoustics
and are really old. The bass is a 10" speaker :D and has its own chassis.

michat wrote:
Thanks a lot!

Yes, I love the SY99 and use it every time working in my home studio.
First it's simply cool, I like the hybrid FM/AWM system + filter
and the reverbs :wink:

I completely agree! I love that AWM sounds can form the waveforms for AFM operators. That alone makes for some very powerful and unique synthesis.
michat wrote: I also made some sets with old drumcomputer sounds

+ it's a wonderful master keyboard 8)

Aaand yep! A TC399, custom painted in white :love:

They have a unique sound the old Sony's. I still have my TC352 but it needs a little mechanical TLC which I will probably get around to some day.
michat wrote: The turntable is just an American Audio TTD2400 with USB-port.
Cheap but does it's job (surely because of the audio technica system :) )
They obviously designed it to look a lot like an SL1200 MK2... and why not. They say that imitation is the best form of flattery!! ;)
Seriously though, Audio Technica make some great stuff. Their LDC's are great mics and decent value for money too.
michat wrote: The white monitors ...... I don't know...
It was a gift, badly painted, so I rebuilt them.
All I can say that the speakers and the crossover are from vifä acoustics
and are really old. The bass is a 10" speaker :D and has its own chassis.
Ah, VIFA kits. I remember those when they came out! Electronics Australia magazine ran a few kits based on VIFA drivers and they were well respected. I still have my collection of EA magazines too!

crimsonwarlock wrote: I wouldn't call myself a wind player (yet), I'm first and foremost a keyboard player and have played as such in bands for a few decades (mostly progressive symphonic rock), done some session work back in the days as well. I'm just dabbling with the WX-5 but hope to get better at it. I'm a better drummer then I'm a wind player, and I'm no drummer (although I can find my way on a drumkit, again a little) ;)
I always wanted to learn Sax. It was either that or trumpet and I chose trumpet back in the day (my first instrument).
The WX5 looks like a lot of fun though.
crimsonwarlock wrote: I guess you mean the alternate panning controls, they are all there. You can right click on any panning section in any track-layout and swith it to the other panning layouts.
I saw those controls but I was actually referring to the stereo width control. I use it quite a bit. It is a completely separate control to the pan controls and controls the width of the stereo field from 100 percent width to mono and, at the other end of the dial, 100 percent channel swap.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”