Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Monotrons, like apples and oranges

Epitome of a bedroom producer, rather, my "studio" is in a shared office, so nothing about it is ideal. My PC serves as my music computer and my personal computer. My desk serves multiple purposes, not least of which is a cat shelf.

So, without further ado:
Desktop160208.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Phase Music

These and a few Rolands :phones:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

do_androids_dream wrote:In so many of these pics I see monitors that are far too close to rear walls. I also see this in 9 out of 10 studios in youtube videos. You need almost any monitor at least 18 inches from a rear wall.
Especially if your monitors are rear ported.

ghettosynth wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:In so many of these pics I see monitors that are far too close to rear walls. I also see this in 9 out of 10 studios in youtube videos. You need almost any monitor at least 18 inches from a rear wall.
I agree, however there's no way for me to achieve anywhere close to that. I'm stuck where I am, therefore, far from ideal. ;)
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
I agree, however there's no way for me to achieve anywhere close to that. I'm stuck where I am, therefore, far from ideal. ;)
I've been there too, but I found the way that it messed with the bass was so significant that ever since I've found some way to get the speakers off of the wall. For example, my current space isn't very large, and hardly ideal either, but I've solved the problem by turning my desk so that it's perpendicular to the wall.

I see you have the larger yamahas, the 5s did not work AT ALL in that scenario. No bass whatsoever. They were more predictable than the monitor ones that I used previously, but no bass.

While I like my current monitors a lot, if I were forced into that situation again, I would buy some front ported monitors and get them at least six inches off of the deck.

ghettosynth wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
I've been there too, but I found the way that it messed with the bass was so significant that ever since I've found some way to get the speakers off of the wall. For example, my current space isn't very large, and hardly ideal either, but I've solved the problem by turning my desk so that it's perpendicular to the wall.

I see you have the larger yamahas, the 5s did not work AT ALL in that scenario. No bass whatsoever. They were more predictable than the monitor ones that I used previously, but no bass.

While I like my current monitors a lot, if I were forced into that situation again, I would buy some front ported monitors and get them at least six inches off of the deck.
I've been trying to figure out how to do that, as well. Because it's a shared space, I'm extremely limited in what I can do. I already have the most space in this room, and it might be objectionable to my husband if I take up the center of the room, too.

When you said the HS5 monitors didn't have any bass "in that scenario", do you mean against the wall, or with your desk perpendicular to the wall?

I wish someone would have answered my question before I purchased, or I would have a pair of Adam A7X monitors on my desk right now. :|
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

I've been trying to figure out how to do that, as well. Because it's a shared space, I'm extremely limited in what I can do. I already have the most space in this room, and it might be objectionable to my husband if I take up the center of the room, too.

When you said the HS5 monitors didn't have any bass "in that scenario", do you mean against the wall, or with your desk perpendicular to the wall?

I wish someone would have answered my question before I purchased, or I would have a pair of Adam A7X monitors on my desk right now. :|
I meant against the wall, however, they are only marginally better turned perpendicular. With the monitor ones the difference was dramatic when placed properly. Right now the monitor ones serve as front speakers for my TV. I've thought about blocking off the ports, but, they sound better unblocked. They are close to the wall, but about eight inches away owing to the shelf/support that I made for them.

The HS5s are great if you are mixing pop-rock or singer/songwriter acoustic material. I feel like they are great in the mids, but I couldn't get bass right with them, at all, and a sub didn't help. I usually respond when people talk about this, it's something that I've had to deal with quite a bit.

My current monitors are still rear ported, but are work well as long as they're not against the wall.

ghettosynth wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to do that, as well. Because it's a shared space, I'm extremely limited in what I can do. I already have the most space in this room, and it might be objectionable to my husband if I take up the center of the room, too.

I meant against the wall, however, they are only marginally better turned perpendicular. With the monitor ones the difference was dramatic when placed properly. Right now the monitor ones serve as front speakers for my TV. I've thought about blocking off the ports, but, they sound better unblocked. They are close to the wall, but about eight inches away owing to the shelf/support that I made for them.

The HS5s are great if you are mixing pop-rock or singer/songwriter acoustic material. I feel like they are great in the mids, but I couldn't get bass right with them, at all, and a sub didn't help. I usually respond when people talk about this, it's something that I've had to deal with quite a bit.

My current monitors are still rear ported, but are work well as long as they're not against the wall.
Yeah. these are the HS7s. I haven't put them to the test yet, but I plan to tomorrow. At low volume (where I tend to mix) they don't sound bad, even in their current position. I haven't tried any bass-y music yet.

Looking at this room, there may be a way to get it to work, turning my desk. I'll need to think about it, and Mark will need to agree. This is why I'd like to build a custom desk. Something's gotta work.
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to do that, as well. Because it's a shared space, I'm extremely limited in what I can do. I already have the most space in this room, and it might be objectionable to my husband if I take up the center of the room, too.

Yeah. these are the HS7s. I haven't put them to the test yet, but I plan to tomorrow. At low volume (where I tend to mix) they don't sound bad, even in their current position. I haven't tried any bass-y music yet.

Looking at this room, there may be a way to get it to work, turning my desk. I'll need to think about it, and Mark will need to agree. This is why I'd like to build a custom desk. Something's gotta work.
IF they're rear ported, but, they could work as a bass reflex design, then may not be bad against the wall specifically for obtaining sufficient bass. Theater types will often block off ports of speakers used as front/rear which treats the design as a bass reflex cabinet. In some cases, this actually gives you a better/smoother response at the cost of a higher bass rolloff frequency, but, in exchange you get a more gentle rolloff. This just wouldn't work for anything with a five inch driver because the cabinet is just going to be too small. But, what you don't want is cancellation of reflections with the direct wave and that's hard to avoid unless you actually block the ports.

Doug1978 wrote:These and a few Rolands :phones:
You lucky bastard! I recently canceled my Cirklon order cause I got a great deal on a V-Synth GT.

Haha - good shout on the V-Synth deal mate.

But get that Cirklon when you can in the future :p

a vital part of my 'studio'.

Peterson strobe tuner > Digitech Drop > Stone Deaf PDF-1 > Boss GE7 EQ > AMT E1 >
Fredric Effects King of Klone > Time Travel Audio Vortex Phaser > TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor >
ISP Decimator > TTA Salvador Delay > TTA Cave Dweller Reverb.

P1110085.jpg
Workspace, Jan, 2016.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I finally got most of my studio out of the garage. Now I just need to figure out speaker placement and a place to put my Mac Pro tower.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”