Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

annode wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I took this one today ...
the_control_centre_studio_2017.jpg
I'll be right over!
I'll stick the kettle on.

justin3am wrote:It depends. In some cases I embrace the noise. But noise caused by grounding or power distribution issues are generally not useful. Clean power, a common reference to 0v and a low resistance path to earth ground are pretty critical to getting all of this stuff to talk to each other without causing problems. And balanced cables, where possible.

Noisy pre-amps and cross-talk in mixers don't bother me much. I often run things through several gain stages, just because they impart a character I like and noise can be a big part of that character.

Some pedals are really susceptible to interference but they have a sound I like. If I can get away with it, I'll use a gate (if the noise is quiet enough, relative to the signal) or some EQ to get rid of any problem frequencies. If the problem is wide-band garbage, I'll just try something else. Sometimes just turning off other electronics will help with those kinds of problems. I also use weird pickups and transducers which are designed to measure that kind of interference and noise from different kinds of electronics and use that as sample food. Thanks to whyterabbyt for that idea!

At the same time, anything can be routed directly through one of 24 inputs on my audio interface or ADAT interfaces. If I don't want noise, I can get very clean recordings with an unnoticeable noise floor. I mean, I'm not always trying to sound like I recorded on an old 4-track... but sometimes I am.
That just does my head in. To me it is like saying you prefer the sound of a record once the groove is full of dust and there are a few scratches on it. It is a completely different thing to using noise as a part in an arrangement, which we do all the time.

At the very least, I'd be recording a long passage of straight noise to sample in Audition, so I could get rid of it all. When I was prepping some old cassette recordings a few years ago, my jaw hit the floor when I found out how amazingly well Audition can eliminate all that stuff these days. I used to use an effect in SoundForge but compared to the one in Audition, it was crude and horrible. Audition can get rid of all the junk and leave the rest of the recording completely untouched. It's absolutely amazing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It's all a bit pretentious, really. :hihi: But sometimes it's fun to be pretentious for aesthetic purposes. I can do super-clean productions and that might even be easier in some ways but that isn't much fun for me.
I think it depends on what you are trying to do. I can easily remove anything unwanted with iZotope RX (and I do so, when working with other people's material) but for my own stuff, I mostly stick to simple signal processors and just use my DAW as a audio recorder and midi sequencer. I still plan to move back to using a large format console with some standalone hard disk recorders, at some point. It requires a lot more effort to do things that are simple with a DAW but the process influences the outcome. I'm already building a lot of my own instruments, so it's not much of a stretch.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I found some pictures of my setup during 1999 ... please forgive the hideous carpet :lol:
Nice I like old school setups with vintage CRTs
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

so after a about a month or so of moving and being without my computer im finally back up and running....almost.

now that im out of the tiny apartment and into a nice house....i have a little space to play with. nothing except the computer is hooked up yet...and i have a lot of rearranging to do, but heres the first image of what will be my little home studio. ive seen people do more with less space...so im pretty happy to have it.

this is the corner of a 12x17 room in the bottom floor of the house. the desk extends all the way across the room (the 12 ft side) and theres a space for another computer on the left. unfortunately (for me) this room has to serve multiple functions so its an office/studio/play room......half of it has a play mat and my daughters toys.

still....this is more room than i had before and ill at last be able to get my hardware up and running.

ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:so after a about a month or so of moving and being without my computer im finally back up and running....almost.

now that im out of the tiny apartment and into a nice house....i have a little space to play with. nothing except the computer is hooked up yet...and i have a lot of rearranging to do, but heres the first image of what will be my little home studio. ive seen people do more with less space...so im pretty happy to have it.

this is the corner of a 12x17 room in the bottom floor of the house. the desk extends all the way across the room (the 12 ft side) and theres a space for another computer on the left. unfortunately (for me) this room has to serve multiple functions so its an office/studio/play room......half of it has a play mat and my daughters toys.

still....this is more room than i had before and ill at last be able to get my hardware up and running.

Is that a computer over on the left?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:

Looks like a test bench.,

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li- ... 89-ll.html

Coming together very nicely chaosWyrM.
I wish you luck at your new home! :)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

wickfut wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:

Looks like a test bench.,

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li- ... 89-ll.html
that is precisely right. i love that thing. the little box to the right is an icy dock hd enclosure....i dont normally have the lights on though, just for the pic.

heres a closer look:

though i think the next time i build a computer ill do a wall mount case like the thermaltake core p5:

ImageImageImage

annode wrote:Coming together very nicely chaosWyrM.
I wish you luck at your new home! :)
thank you very much. :tu:
ImageImageImage

Congrats on the new place! Looks like a nice space to work.
chaosWyrM wrote:
heres a closer look:

This is a computer case for someone who does not have a cat! :lol:

justin3am wrote:Congrats on the new place! Looks like a nice space to work.
chaosWyrM wrote:
heres a closer look:

This is a computer case for someone who does not have a cat! :lol:
lol....we have 3.

i go through a fair amount of canned air. still....i find it easier to keep clean than having all the fur and dust collect inside a closed case. i will admit i have had one or two incidents of critters chewing on wires.
ImageImageImage

ok....baby steps.

after a bit of work over the weekend...all synths are hooked up and functioning as they should.

i have everything including my guitar going into an american audio mx-1400 mixer someone left out in the trash at my old apartment. it "works"...i can use it...but its a tad dodgy. i think im just going to replace it. i can get a behringer xenyx 1202fx for about 50 bucks.

anywhooooo......pics:

ImageImageImage

Virus Indigo is such a beautiful thing :love:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”