squeal sample on "Jump Around" by House of Pain

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to figure out where I can find a sample of the squealing saxophone sound that the group House of Pain uses in their song "Jump Around"... I've Googled like crazy, and I can't find ANYTHING! This amazes me, because one would think that such a famous, distinctive sound would be easy to track down, but I am new to this stuff, and mired in endless lists of sounds on the net. Am I crazy?! Can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Thanks!!

I thought it was a sample of 'Prince' actually, but I could well be mistaken...
Last edited by CypherOne on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lol... whatever it is, I'd love to know where I can find it!

Haven't heard it for a while but I assume it's a sax harmonic a la Public Enemy's Bombsquad.

I think the horn intro used on "Jump Around" was from "Harlem Shuffle" by Bob & Earl, but I could be wrong.

You're absolutely right about the horn intro- I didn't know that! Cool.

I just need the squeal sound, though.

I've been trying to isolate the sound from the recording of " Jump Around" that I have, just through the EQ in Audacity, but you can still hear the drum beat in the background... wish I could figure out how to isolate it more cleanly...

Try this if you haven't already: http://www.the-breaks.com/search.php?te ... ain&type=6

It's Prince - Gett Off :wink:

Ok let me exlain something.. Producers like Mugs (cybress hill some House a pain tracks) & Premier (Ganstarr group home and now Cristina Agulrera<??) come from a time where they would take a sound from any song and manipulate it to sound the way they wanted.. So for all you know you could be looking for some weird ass polka song..

SIDE NOTE: if you listen to cypress hills insane in the membrane it's basically the same thing.

Also being DJ producers they would sample from turntables with the pitch way up (or down depending on what sound they were trying to get). You want transpose it up to a crazy value (maybe even 1 or 2 octaves) then add a narrow mid-high eq.. I find this kind of production is missing now adays too many hand clap kit songs.. (sorry yall I quit Sunday yesterday aaarrrrrrgggg)

I agree Lagrange, it's a pity most of the production skills from back in those days are lost on todays hiphop. I guess sample clearance amongst other things has made things a bit tougher to come up with the sound rap was known for back then.
Personally I logged off around halfway the 90's, when it was obvious RnB was the commercial ride everyone was going to piggyback on.

Although as for some of those records you speak of, you'd be suprised how not manipulated some of those samples are.

I mean I cant start hating on the new sound.. I guess everything has to change.. I just remember talking to premiere a couple of years ago and asked him where he got some of his samples and other than telling me that It would cost 100 000 for that info he did slip out some strange ass sources like some 1930's recordings for the crackle over top of some tracks and some messed up science , disney and 60's kids excerise records and for scratches like "step up step step step up". When I was getting an autographed 12' from Pete Rock (and CL smooth at the time) he admitted that he used some obscure Gospel and 99 bird calls on a couple of productions.. And as my sig says....

arbo wrote:lol... whatever it is, I'd love to know where I can find it!
lol... I think that he just told you.

:idiot:

the horn intro to Jump Around, not the squeal sound is from some song from the 50's or 60's. maybe even the 40's. I only know this becuase I've heard the original about 5 years after Jump around.

I don't know the squeal sound though.

dw

Although as for some of those records you speak of, you'd be suprised how not manipulated some of those samples are.
I grew up during the sampling hey day's of hip hop, and I still consider it to be some of the best music ever created.

I will however concur with the above quote. It was the abnormality, not the norm to truly mess with a sample.

I was dissapointed to hear some of the stuff PE sampled that sounds EXACTLY like the original.

One day I will remaster my demo album from 91 that was an absolute sample fest, I still am proud of it to this day!

dw

sounds to me like a short sample of a bagpipe, reversed, and either sped up, the the pitch raised

Hip Hop at that time was pretty helpful in terms of what gear to check out. A lot of producers/rappers would namecheck gear in the song. Something you rarely hear in any other style of music. ie SP1200, MPC60, etc. I stopped being interested in hiphop (or Rap, if you want to be technical) in the mid 90's. It lost a lot of it's personality and sincerity. Some absolute gems from the early 90's era, that I still love are Souls of Mischief (93 til Infinity, and most of the Hiero output at the time) Tribe, The first couple Common Sense albums, but primarily "Resurrection" - I love the beats on that album. Sadly, No ID's (the producer for Resurrection's) solo record a few years later was pretty awful.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”