squeal sample on "Jump Around" by House of Pain

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is a sample of Prince's "Gett Off". You be the judge if this is the source of the squeal sample.

that's it alright

Lagrange wrote:I just remember talking to premiere a couple of years ago and asked him where he got some of his samples and other than telling me that It would cost 100 000 for that info he did slip out some strange ass sources like some 1930's recordings for the crackle over top of some tracks and some messed up science , disney and 60's kids excerise records and for scratches like "step up step step step up".
I admit for some of the stuff these guys used you'll have to dig deep into all sorts of crates.

But most of the times these guys make things look harder on purpose of not wanting to hear 'their' new found break all over the place :)

Btw, your step up sample is 'Thunder and Lightning - Bumpin' Bus Stop'

Check this and ermmm ignore the tear and static, I've used it on a production some years ago and I guess draggin' it back and forth didn't do much justice for the already weakass vinyl :wink:

http://rapidshare.de/files/34131168/BusStop.mp3.html

i'll do the hatin' then.

i STOPPED listening to hip hop around 1990 when technotoronic and house started stinking up clubs and when rappers killed their DJs and took over the whole scene with their cheap samplers.

before it became all about rap, the PRODUCER'S were making awesome beats and melodies on crude drum machines and synthesizers and DJs were using musical SKILLS.

at first, even sampling was a great sound as the 1st wave of samplers were generating their OWN SOUNDS. read art of noise, b. fats & fresh gordon who were taking the time to sample and resample their own vocals and sounds.

then all of the no talent wanabees with big mouths started stealing riffs (at least DJs WORKED those riffs) and making records. it takes little imagination to edit a james brown riff and call it your own.

i LOVE the sound of sampling when it's done creatively, but simple beat stealing sucks.

today's "hip-hop" is really anti-hip-hop as the style started out on the positive party tip (remember? break dancing was an ALTERNATIVE to fighting), but now gangsta's are pushing the exact opposite message and have the nerve to call it hip hop.

i'm offended and i'm a hatin'

LBN wrote:Here is a sample of Prince's "Gett Off". You be the judge if this is the source of the squeal sample.
i thought it was already in fairly widespread sampling use by the time prince used it , which is why he used it!

soniccouture wrote:i thought it was already in fairly widespread sampling use by the time prince used it , which is why he used it!
I'm pretty sure he didn't use anything, that's actually Prince squealing.

it is one of the best hip hop songs around though.

dw

gambitron wrote:i'll do the hatin' then.

i STOPPED listening to hip hop around 1990 when technotoronic and house started stinking up clubs and when rappers killed their DJs and took over the whole scene with their cheap samplers.
You really are living in your own little orbit if you think that Belgian Hip House has been the direction that Hip Hop has taken over the last 15 years. "Beat Stealing" as you call it hasn't really been done much since the early 90s (although it was the foundation of hip hop in the 70s); and Art of Noise, what does that have to do with anything? Anyway it's always nice to hear from a geniune expert, thanks.

I have been trying to see if I can isolate the squeal on "Jump Around" so I can send it as a pure, stand-alone sound to a synth. I EQ-ed it with Audacity, but the drum beat is still audible, and I was thinking I could just gate out everthing but the squeal to create my sample. I haven't found a plug-in that I can use as a gate with Audacity yet, though... any suggestions (that don't cost money lol)?

Even though I was morally opposed to top 40 music back then, I have to admin I loved Pump up the Jam. Especially in the breakdown where the 808 and 909 got really tight.

dw

what the heck is "belgian hip house"?

unlike you junior... i was in clubs dancing to REAL hip-hop in '83 where the art of noise was being breakdanced to. (eg. beatbox & the army now) THAT'S what they have to do with hip-hop. had you been there, you would have known that.

you also would have known that MCs were just a PART of the scene. many of the BEST hip hop tracks EVER like chinese aritmatic & 2,3 break were instrumentals with DJs "cutting it up" and MANY tracks like johnny the fox & girls were only played as instrumental b-sides because they sucked as raps.

once hip-hop was taken over by gangstas, samplers, gangsta samplers and housesque *thump-thump-thump* idiots like technotronic, clubs were no longer fun to visit and hip hop has never recovered from it's heyday when DJs provided the cuts and manipulated them instead of no talent hacks snatching a beat, pushing a button with a loop then running their mouth over it.

i was THERE junior. i remember when music like atomic dog, jam on it, one for the treble, and al naafysh (the soul) ruled the dancefloor and nothing was sampled except sound effects. all beats were played by DJs who did this thing called "cutting and SCRATCHING" along with a lost art called "beat mixing" but you wouldn't know anything about that as you seem to think hip-hop has something to do with waffles.

you also probaly have no clue to where all of those stolen cuts you hear in songs like mentirosa came from and think they invented "din da da" which is ACTUALLY trommeltanz.

it's funny when all of these new jacks think THEY invented hip-hop when they have no clue as to what it really is and where it came from. they don't even know that dancing and grafitti are the other two missing elements of the original trinity of hip-hop.

arbo wrote:I have been trying to see if I can isolate the squeal on "Jump Around" so I can send it as a pure, stand-alone sound to a synth. I EQ-ed it with Audacity, but the drum beat is still audible, and I was thinking I could just gate out everthing but the squeal to create my sample. I haven't found a plug-in that I can use as a gate with Audacity yet, though... any suggestions (that don't cost money lol)?
Yea.. Sample Prince's "Gett Off" and pitch it up a bit.

gambitron wrote:what the heck is "belgian hip house"?

unlike you junior... i was in clubs dancing to REAL hip-hop in '83 where the art of noise was being breakdanced to. (eg. beatbox & the army now) THAT'S what they have to do with hip-hop. had you been there, you would have known that.

you also would have known that MCs were just a PART of the scene. many of the BEST hip hop tracks EVER like chinese aritmatic & 2,3 break were instrumentals with DJs "cutting it up" and MANY tracks like johnny the fox & girls were only played as instrumental b-sides because they sucked as raps.

once hip-hop was taken over by gangstas, samplers, gangsta samplers and housesque *thump-thump-thump* idiots like technotronic, clubs were no longer fun to visit and hip hop has never recovered from it's heyday when DJs provided the cuts and manipulated them instead of no talent hacks snatching a beat, pushing a button with a loop then running their mouth over it.

i was THERE junior. i remember when music like atomic dog, jam on it, one for the treble, and al naafysh (the soul) ruled the dancefloor and nothing was sampled except sound effects. all beats were played by DJs who did this thing called "cutting and SCRATCHING" along with a lost art called "beat mixing" but you wouldn't know anything about that as you seem to think hip-hop has something to do with waffles.

you also probaly have no clue to where all of those stolen cuts you hear in songs like mentirosa came from and think they invented "din da da" which is ACTUALLY trommeltanz.

it's funny when all of these new jacks think THEY invented hip-hop when they have no clue as to what it really is and where it came from. they don't even know that dancing and grafitti are the other two missing elements of the original trinity of hip-hop.
or as D.St. put it "real Hip Hop my man"

I think I'm travelling in a similar orbit ...

"the say he was disturbed and had him committed because his cuts were crazy
crazy
crazy"

LOL

i remember ashley... i remember :wink:

"i got those crazy cuts
on my mind
all the time
i got those crazy cuts
on my mind"

it's really ironic that gangstas have the nerve to call their raps hip-hop when hip-hop started out as a positive ANTI-GANG movement. i bet NONE of them have a clue what "you wanna fight or you wanna rock?" means anymore.

P.S. EVERYONE was going crazy for buffalo gals back in the day. it might have been on a malcom mc laren album, but the real heavy lifting was done by trevor horn and the fairlight CMI he used in the art of noise which only stole ONE riff to the best of my recollection... the peter gunn theme, but by then, they lost their edge anyways.

gambitron wrote:i'll do the hatin' then.

You're an old, grumpy bastard.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”