Tiny Box - A Musical Box Sample Library

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Architeuthis wrote:
Juanjo wrote:I might as well go ahead and do all-dirty SFZs too.
Wait till I record 14 alternates per note. I definitely want there to be 14 alts or I'll regret it later. Going to do some recording hopefully tonight. If not tonight, sometime next week. The problem is that my last recording session provided me with a very low background noise level. It's important to have this low noise level for the dirty samples because I can't spectrally remove it when the crank sounds enter the frequency range of this certain background noise.
Whoa, you're going way beyond the call of duty here ;)
Understood then, I'll just fix the current "mixed" SFZs now and wait for the new batch of dirty samples to do the all-dirty mappings.
The mind boggles.

Architeuthis wrote:
Juanjo wrote:I might as well go ahead and do all-dirty SFZs too.
Wait till I record 14 alternates per note. I definitely want there to be 14 alts or I'll regret it later. Going to do some recording hopefully tonight. If not tonight, sometime next week. The problem is that my last recording session provided me with a very low background noise level. It's important to have this low noise level for the dirty samples because I can't spectrally remove it when the crank sounds enter the frequency range of this certain background noise.
in one word : Thanks !
Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

SFZ/SCM dirty mappings are finished (Elan check your mail).
The mind boggles.

thanks Jaunjo! I'll send it out.

I sent everyone updated SFZ and SCM files, if you didn't get them, let me know!

Juanjo wrote:SFZ/SCM dirty mappings are finished.
cool! thanks, just what I was looking for!

Alright, I'm doing a recording session as I speak. I had a really awesome idea after the last recording session and I'm putting it into practice this time. As I'm recording the musical box, I'm trying to emulate the sound of the musical box in motion, without cranking the music box, since 14 alts will cause plenty of crank noises to occur. It's going to be really awesome if it comes out how I hope.

My recording session did not produce the result I wanted. As a matter of fact, I'm starting all over on the dirty sample recordings, because I think I have everything figured out. There will be artificial MOVEMENT in the samples, there will be NOT TOO MUCH crank noises, and it will be perfect, a full 14 alts. I'm hoping the result will create a music box that sounds nostalgic and have the type of musical dirtiness that adds character, like a vinyl record player or a mellotron... well, maybe that's promising too much. :P

Tiny Music Box, Giant Squid. :D

Yes. 8) That's how I roll.

That's how I roll the dice. YES CRITICAL HIT! 4d8 piercing damage!

Organising a protest march this Friday Schlesische Strasse 28 ,10997 Berlin, Germany

Talking about giant, I finally find somewhere a little bit sad that you take so much time and so much care to make this great sounding library but you dont use the twenty tone model of the music box.
For some days I had to buy a second one for a present and I asked the owner of the shop if he possibly would ship to the USA.
"Selbstverständlich" was his answer which means "Of course" ;)
The only thing is that Shipping would cost almost as much as the box, he mentioned about 35 € shipping cost.
But compared to the amount of work you are probably putting in this library, isn't it worth a thought?

I would also gladly record and send you the 5 lower tones but I indeed cannot achieve the recording technik level you already have reached with this project.

Feel free to PM me if my thoughts give you an idea.

BTW this the twenty tone Musicbox:

Best regards
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Optomadic wrote:I have an example, I just did want to post it cause the spoken word behind it is kind of gruesome.

This is what I basically mean:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4872132-6c9
WARNING!! DO NOT LISTEN IF YOU ARE A SENSITIVE PERSON! The lyrics are HARSH!

The noise in this one is kind of constant. I was thinking it would be more random.
Architeuthis wrote:Oh, see, the noise in my samples is supposed to emulate the crank without having to put in crank noises in by hand, that was my goal. The clicks you are hearing in your music box recording is like a harsh version of my clean samples. I guess the music box I'm using just isn't that harsh.
That clears it up! Thanks again :D
stay juicy!

teacue wrote:The only thing is that Shipping would cost almost as much as the box, he mentioned about 35 € shipping cost.
It takes $55 to ship it? And how much is the actual musical box? If I were to sample it, it might be a good idea to add the lower notes to the tiny box library.

If I was to sample it completely, it would be a completely different sample library. I'd want make it have this kind of ambience: http://www.vitalartsmedia.com/Plectrum/ ... sicbox.mp3 (from the plectrum library: http://www.vitalartsmedia.com/Plectrum/demos.html)

Architeuthis wrote:And how much is the actual musical box?
The price is 39.90 €
Architeuthis wrote:If I were to sample it, it might be a good idea to add the lower notes to the tiny box library.

If I was to sample it completely, it would be a completely different sample library.
I can understand this.
Architeuthis wrote: I'd want make it have this kind of ambience: http://www.vitalartsmedia.com/Plectrum/ ... sicbox.mp3 (from the plectrum library: http://www.vitalartsmedia.com/Plectrum/demos.html)
the mp3 sounds good, but I like the intimate sound of your library much better :)

Best regards
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”