pflo's complaint JEX Kit BFD [split thread]

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Its definitely on your end, Angus. I have the hourglass going , "loading" going on the top tab indefinitely and my browser is waiting for your IP address to do something.

Just curious, and you may have already done this. But have you tried a different browser? Also, if you didn't try already, maybe find a plugin for your browser that has the "resume" feature. Something like "Download them all" on Firefox, or Flashget. Then right click on the links and there should be an option to download using that manager.

Oh, and the URL it's wanting is that of the actual downloads, not the page you are on. Right click on the download link and select "Copy link location" or whatever your browser says. Paste that into the "URL" field in your download manager and see if that works.

Brent
My host is better than your host

pflo wrote:Its definitely on your end, Angus. I have the hourglass going , "loading" going on the top tab indefinitely and my browser is waiting for your IP address to do something.
That does not show that the problem is necessarily at their end. The fault could lie at any point between your machine and their servers. There are rather a lot of those points. A knowledgeable network admin could find where and what the trouble was, but it takes a little skill at using command-line tools.

Try Brent's advice. He knows how to get things done.

Now I'm assuming you can log into the FXPansion site and are not having issues with other updates/files from there and are on Windows.

First, if you're on IE, clear out your temporary internet files (I suppose you could clear out the cached files no matter what browser you're using), then try the download again. Next up, if that doesn't work, try a different browser (I snatched them up with the new Firefox).

Now, once you've got the files and you run the installers, just let them create the directories in C:\Windows\Temp like they will ask, and then follow the instructions and let them run their course. Do that for each installer and you should be good.

And about getting banned: I check the FXpansion forum at work, and if a coworker leaned over and saw that sig on my screen I could get fired (yeah my company sucks in that respect, but they're very cautious). Now nothing else on that forum would otherwise be able to get me in trouble, and I kind of like it that way. That same "fat guy sitting naked at the computer" sig is the reason I stopped going to the Reaper forums while at work, and that kind of sucks. It's nice to be able to check forums during my downtime at work, and blows if someone's sig screws that up for me. Plus, they didn't immediately ban you, they asked you to change it, then you acted like your civil rights were being violated on their private forum and became verbally belligerent. Not cool.

I do hope you get the JEX issue sorted out quickly though. They're cool sounding drums.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

koolkeys wrote:Just curious, and you may have already done this. But have you tried a different browser? Also, if you didn't try already, maybe find a plugin for your browser that has the "resume" feature. Something like "Download them all" on Firefox, or Flashget. Then right click on the links and there should be an option to download using that manager.

Oh, and the URL it's wanting is that of the actual downloads, not the page you are on. Right click on the download link and select "Copy link location" or whatever your browser says. Paste that into the "URL" field in your download manager and see if that works.

Brent
Thanks. OK, it looks like it might be working with "Download them all", we will see.
But how would an average putz like me KNOW to use a download manager? Ive never had to use one before and have downloaded huge files without it.

It doesnt say anywhere on the site to use a download manager. How hard would it be to write that in? "FXPansion recommends using a download manager for this install and they can be found here".

We are musicians/drummers, not computer tech nerds. FXP needs to dumb things down a bit or at least provide some clear documentation. Just saying "click on the link" obviously wont cut it in this instance.Putting out a product and letting the consumer try to figure out how to obtain it is sloppy business practice.

It bugs the hell out of me that it says "Be sure to read the documentation CAREFULLY during instalation" yet there ISNT any! Sloppy. Why cant they check this stuff over BEFORE release?

But thanks for picking up their slack.You should get a cut of the 50 bucks.
Last edited by pflo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not everyone will HAVE to use the download manager. As Meffy said, sometimes there are just fluke things between us and the servers we are communicating with. It may not be anyone's fault. I've never had a problem downloading from the FXpansion site, including all the BFD2 updates and other things.

It can also be about your location in relation to the servers and a hundred other factors. So sometimes the downloads just work better with some help from a download manager.

I wouldn't go calling fraud or anything because of this issue though. It happens to EVERY website at some point with some viewers. And that is why companies have ways to get support, like their company forum for instance. If there were NO issues expected, companies wouldn't offer support. But unfortunately it's needed sometimes.

Brent

I'm getting "timeout errors" at 99%. Great.

Packets get routed
Wherever are they going?
No one really knows

A little Haiku to lighten up the mood. Routing can sometimes cause problems between only a specific sliver of users in a certain area of the world and a specific server/location. Sucks. I once had packets route from PA to a datacenter in NJ, with an oh-so-inconvenient hop to Brazil (!) between NY and NJ for no reason. One of the major carriers fixed whatever it was once reported. Like Meffy said, took a lot of command-line fun and testing to hammer out and even more fun talking to admins at a major provider.

Ok, then here is what you should try next. First of all, delete ALL instances of the file you're trying to download. Trying to download over top of the previously failed file will result in timeout problems. It will "think" it's done.

So the best option to try is to download to a different location. When you delete a file, it really isn't "gone". So it may still be seeing the remnants of the old file and messing up. Seriously, this has solved the exact issue you are having for me in the past(not FXPansion though). Try a different download location WITH the download manager, or without if you want. But if it messes up, try a different location using the method you haven't tried yet.

If this solves the issue, it's DEFINITELY not an FXpansion issue, but an OS issue. Happens to everyone at some point.

Good luck.

Brent

pflo wrote:But how would an average putz like me KNOW to use a download manager?
By asking politely for help instead of flying off the handle on turn one. Look at all the help you're getting now that you're not being as confrontational and have shifted more toward problem-solving mode -- when you control impulsive, belligerent behavior people are a lot more willing to give you the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

The amount of experience and knowledge accumulated at KVR is considerable; a resource not to be sneezed at. Read, learn, become a less frustrated Internet user.
buscemi wrote:Packets get routed
Wherever are they going?
No one really knows
Ah. That's good. Encapsulated, / Much wisdom for the taking: / Five seven and five.

Meffy wrote:
pflo wrote:But how would an average putz like me KNOW to use a download manager?
By asking politely for help instead of flying off the handle on turn one. Look at all the help you're getting now that you're not being as confrontational and have shifted more toward problem-solving mode -- when you control impulsive, belligerent behavior people are a lot more willing to give you the benefit of their experience and knowledge.

The amount of experience and knowledge accumulated at KVR is considerable; a resource not to be sneezed at. Read, learn, become a less frustrated Internet user.
buscemi wrote:Packets get routed
Wherever are they going?
No one really knows
Ah. That's good. Encapsulated, / Much wisdom for the taking: / Five seven and five.
Actually I was referring to how would a BFD user would know to use a download manager from that site alone.Support from them kinda ended, but i guess it was a holiday.They are selling the product, not KVR. The onus is on them to make the product easily available for EVERYONE.

Anyways, I agree this site is great and there are a lot of great minds here. Thanks to everyone. Maybe NEXT week I'll be able to play this thing as most of today is shot.

Thanks, dudes. :)

I agree that KVR isn't selling their product. But they have a LARGE support forum. Have you posted there with these problems? Or did you just dismiss it? If you did, you're missing out. It's a great forum from the people who DO sell the product.

Brent

koolkeys wrote:I agree that KVR isn't selling their product. But they have a LARGE support forum. Have you posted there with these problems? Or did you just dismiss it? If you did, you're missing out. It's a great forum from the people who DO sell the product.

Brent
No . I didnt know that. But I know now. Thanks for the tip! Much appreciation to all for their time in helping me out! I wish I could reciprocate but I think you all got me beat in computer intelligence.. :hihi:

This sounds a lot like a common download problem. I'd do the simple things first, restart, reconnect, delete cache/internet files, start from step 1.

if you haven't tried these things then your really wasting your time.
'The science of rich men does not elevate all mankind, but only themselves.'
sound cloud

Got it going. 6 hours of frustration but it sounds GOOD! That kick is punching my guts out! Awesome............

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”