How to create your own sample library?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am currently attending audio engineering school (pursuing a career in game audio or post production) and I also have done much composing and arranging on the side. I have always used sample libraries, but over the years it seems everyone is popping up with libraries.

This got me interested in the idea of making my own libraries as well. Maybe just starting simple by sampling sound effects, and then some of the keyboards I won, but I'll be honest, i'm a bit clueless on how the process works.

I understand you record tons of samples, but the biggest question I have is how does it all come together in the scripting? I know some programs that allow you to load in a one shot and it will automatically multisample it, but i would like to think that it wasnt that easy, plus that method isn't all that great.

All and all, what is the shortest way you can describe to me how a sample library is developed? This is something I am very interested in and would seriously like to pursue in the future, so all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

If you want to sample down synths with MIDI, there are tools like Samplerobot, which do it automatically.

For real instruments you have to go through:
- recording
- editing (cutting, leveling)
- making patches (for example in Kontakt)

Nokenoku wrote:If you want to sample down synths with MIDI, there are tools like Samplerobot, which do it automatically.

- recording
It apples for any instruments.

SampleRobot is no good. it does not set pan properly so all your hundreds of samples are bugged. also it does not help to keep the size of samples down as it recods too much of excessive silence. It take more time to fix it then to record and assemblt samples yourself.

Huh .. is it really that crappy?
Maybe one of its competitors does better (I remember there were 2 other programs for sampling, but I don't remember the names).

Nokenoku wrote:For real instruments you have to go through:
- recording
That's right ... there is no "easy" option.

I reinforce what is said above:

1) Recording the way you want to
2) Editing and Post-Production to make the samples useable
3) In-sampler usability in the form of patches.

The most important element in all of the above is planning...

1) What do you want to achieve?
2) How are you going to achieve it?
3) How many velocity layers do you need?
4) Are you going to have close AND room setups?
5) What type of music is it for?
6) Who will benefit from it?

- recording
If I have the first two completed, is there an in-depth (and accessible) tutorial for step 3? I don't have Kontakt, but I can use Halion or something else.

LTSF wrote:If I have the first two completed, is there an in-depth (and accessible) tutorial for step 3? I don't have Kontakt, but I can use Halion or something else.
You need to read your sampler manual. While the basic functions of samplers are almost the same on every software/machine, you need to learn them. Basically you need to map every sample to the key and velocity (range) you want. In kontakt you can group samples, choose loop points or start/end points (instead of doing it on an external editor) and so on...I suggest to read your sampler manual :)
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

SOS - The Lost Art Of Sampling (7 Parts)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:SOS - The Lost Art Of Sampling (7 Parts)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Quite amazing link list! :party:

I'm not a regular reader but computer music magazine had an issue called the art of sampling that I discovered via Google. There's a detailed video with some dude doing a guitar multisample. Well worth the price of the mag.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”