Making free samples available...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

izonin wrote:check the title of this thread. it's about ways of sharing.
check the title of this thread. it's about ways of sharing, not perceived obligations that one should do so 24/7.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

24/7 comes as the only alternative to paying for a dedicated server. do you have a better suggestion for sharing with a large number of people?

izonin wrote:24/7 comes as the only alternative to paying for a dedicated server.
that's strange, quite a few other alternatives have been posited in this thread. its good of you to trun up as the ultimate arbiter of what is and isnt viable, though.
do you have a better suggestion for sharing with a large number of people?
better than the only two you seem to acknowledge (whilst judiciously ignoring Sascha Frank's points) or better than some of the others in this thread?

I like these plans that say there is no bandwidth limit or no hard cap, and then they have an automated system to detect abuse. How do you suppose those systems detect abuse? Maybe when a certain hard bandwidth cap is exceeded. :roll: But instead of just manning up and telling you what you have to work with, they call it unlimited until you go and hit the limit...

whyterabbyt wrote:
izonin wrote:24/7 comes as the only alternative to paying for a dedicated server.
that's strange, quite a few other alternatives have been posited in this thread. its good of you to trun up as the ultimate arbiter of what is and isnt viable, though.
do you have a better suggestion for sharing with a large number of people?
better than the only two you seem to acknowledge (whilst judiciously ignoring Sascha Frank's points) or better than some of the others in this thread?
better than these two. i'm not trying to force anyone to keep their computers on night and day. just sharing my opinion. and i'm interested in hearing yours.

Sasha Frank's points were against ftp, not torrents.

izonin wrote:Sasha Frank's points were against ftp, not torrents.
read his post again.

well i dismissed what he said about torrent clients because it's bs, really. so his only smart thoughts were on ftp.

izonin wrote: if you have quality content to share the least you can do is to leave your machine running 24/7.
What a nonsense.
This thread is about sharing free samples. And the very last thing I want to do is to host whatever freebies straight from my machine.

- Sascha
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

izonin wrote:24/7 comes as the only alternative to paying for a dedicated server. do you have a better suggestion for sharing with a large number of people?
Torrents. As easy as that. Just that the clients I know are CPU hogs of special sorts.

- Sascha

Sascha Franck wrote:Torrents. As easy as that. Just that the clients I know are CPU hogs of special sorts.
Hey Sascha, you know uTorrent is available for the Mac now :)

http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/mac

Sascha Franck wrote: Torrents. As easy as that. Just that the clients I know are CPU hogs of special sorts.

- Sascha
now that you say this for the second time, i start to believe that this is the case on your machine. however, i believe it's some exception. these clients don't do any computation and don't use any cycles. the typical cpu load is little to none.

as for the freebies, some people asked about sharing huge files with hundreds and thousands of other musicians. that would cost $$$ if you do it the traditional way, paying for hosting services.

izonin wrote: now that you say this for the second time, i start to believe that this is the case on your machine. however, i believe it's some exception. these clients don't do any computation and don't use any cycles. the typical cpu load is little to none.
You seem to have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about. Case closed.

- Sascha

the problems you're experiencing are related to disk cashing and have been fixed in utorrent. just use the latest version, as suggested before.

Microsoft SkyDrive is free with 25 GB of storage. I couldn't find it in the terms, but dude here http://www.astahost.com/info.php/how-ge ... 92-10.html says the bandwidth is unlimited. With public folders even those without a Windows Live ID can access files. Best solution so far?

i think we should support formats that can be used with the powerful and free Shortcircuit Sampler! there are too many great free sample banks out there in formats which are not usable to the freeware community!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 65#4244265

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”