Kontakt script for group levels?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I'm looking for a script to add group level controls to the Kontakt instrument GUI?
Example: separate controls for close,room and overheads on drums.
Hopefully if I can find something simple to get started with?
Thanks

This kind of script can't really be generalized. You'd need to know exactly which groups belong to close, which to room, and which to overhead mics. Otherwise it's not an awfully complex script. So, how many groups are there, and can you tell me their order and names indicating the mic position used?

Thanks for the reply. It got me going in the right direction. I was asking as as a general question but to get started I've mapped the Snare from Real Media's OSD kit(snare off). It has two groups named Top and Bottom. I have added the knobs to the gui but cannot figure out how they are linked to the actual volume?

While trying to figure this out I ran across a script in the manual(of all places)that creates volume pan and tune for each group! Pretty damned cool.

on init
declare ui_label $label (1,1)
set_text ($label,"Select Group:")
declare $count
declare ui_menu $group_menu
while ($count < $NUM_GROUPS)
add_menu_item ($group_menu,group_name($count),$count)
inc($count)
end while
declare ui_knob $Volume (0, 100, 1)
declare ui_knob $Pan (-100, 100, 1)
declare ui_knob $Tune (-1200, 1200, 100)
$Volume := _get_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_VOLUME,0,0,1) / 10000
$Pan := _get_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_PAN,0,0,1) / 5000 -100
$Tune := _get_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_TUNE,$group_menu,0,1)*24/10000-1200
move_control ($label,1,1)
move_control ($group_menu,1,2)
move_control ($Volume,2,1)
move_control ($Pan,3,1)
move_control ($Tune,4,1)
make_perfview
end on
on ui_control ($Volume)
_set_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_VOLUME,$Volume * 10000,$group_menu,0,-1)
end on
on ui_control ($Pan)
_set_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_PAN,($Pan+100) * 5000,$group_menu,0,-1)
end on
on ui_control ($Tune)
_set_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_TUNE,($Tune + 1200)*100000/240,$group_menu,0,-1)
end on
on ui_control ($group_menu)
$Volume := _get_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_VOLUME,$group_menu,0,1) / 10000
$Pan := _get_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_PAN,$group_menu,0,1) / 5000 -100
$Tune := _get_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_TUNE,$group_menu,0,1)*24/10000-1200
end on

Yeah, the only caveat is that the script works only on one group at the moment. But if that's not a problem for you and you like dropdown menus, by all means use it :)

Also, that script shows parameter values in a weird way. Use this modified script instead. I have also added Reset Current and Reset All buttons, to restore current or all groups to default values (volume 0.0 dB, Pan center, Tune 0.0).

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6rx7SABP

Thanks for the updates. Some nice additions,I especially like that pan rests to center now. :D

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah, the only caveat is that the script works only on one group at the moment. But if that's not a problem for you and you like dropdown menus, by all means use it :)
That's what I need because I have round robins in differents groups. Is it possible?

The only way I could do it is to add another control that would set the number of groups the controls would spread over, starting from the current group. For example, you're in group 1, and you have 4 RRs, then you'd set this control to 4, and Volume/Pan/Tune would work for groups 1-4.

That's a bit tricky, though, because you'd be able to set a different value for group 2, and mess everything up. Unless, perhaps, I make it so that if you set the control to 0, there is no "stretch over x groups" control applied from that group onwards...

It would be something like this: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=SpNaEa21

Oh!
Thank you!

But I was thinking more about a script that doesn't let you select the groups because of you can mess it up.

I'm doing a drum instrument and want a "mixer" for every part (bass drum, tom1, tom2, top snare, bottom snare, hi hat, overheads and room). Can you give me some idea to achieve that? I thought that was the best way, but I'm sure there are better ways now.

Such scripts are better made when they are custom tailored, because they're highly dependant to the group ordering and whatnot. :)

Hello EvilDragon,

Since I was testing the first Groups of a cyclical round robin series before generating the other groups in that RR family, my group order is out of whack. How would I set up 2 slider volume controls for two mic positions that are a little scattered with ordering? There are 30 groups total, 15 per slider volume needed: Mic position 1: Groups 1-3, 7-18. Mic position 2: Groups 4-6, 19-30.

Thanks for any help!

- Rodney

I think the best thing to do there would be to reorder the groups by cut-pasting so that groups related to a particular mic are all contiguous.

Yes, that is exactly what I ended up doing. The visual order didn't matter as long as the cyclical RR was set up, so it worked like a charm.

Hi EveilDragon,

I was reading this chain and it has a lot of interesting points. I wanted to touch back on something that was said earlier. I am trying to make a percussion sample library for my final project at music school. I have 5 RRs per hit and three mic positions. So that makes it 15 groups. Now by changing RR positions I am able to play Mic 1 RR1 with Mic 2 RR1 and Mic 3 RR1 together so it sounds like all three mics are playing together RR1 or RR2. But how can I make a simple volume fader for all Mic 1 groups (group 1-5) Mic2 groups (group 6-10_ and Mic 3 groups (group 11-15) so that I can mix their relative volumes in? Is there a script for that? Currently I am bussing them into different channels and mixing them in using the routing options.

I would be grateful for any assistance!
Cheers,
Dhruv

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”