SAM (Freeware Sound Library Management Software for Windows)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Brilliant idea! Like a Zen for samples :D
I'm gonna wait until the tag/browser thing is installed and usable though.
Two questions.
Does this have DAW integration?
An if not, does it use your default media player(VLC in my case) when auditioning samples?

K-Bee wrote:Brilliant idea! Like a Zen for samples :D
I'm gonna wait until the tag/browser thing is installed and usable though.
Two questions.
Does this have DAW integration?
Yes, but with drag and drop. I've tested it with FL Studio 10 and it worked great (for me)
K-Bee wrote:An if not, does it use your default media player(VLC in my case) when auditioning samples?
No, it uses his own player, but if you want another program for auditioning then I have to program that. It's a great idea...

Nice one :tu: hope this turns out well as its an issue i have been having for years and never found a solution which suits. Hoping this will be 'the one' :D

All the best to you

Dean

NEKRO.MACHINE wrote:Nice one :tu: hope this turns out well as its an issue i have been having for years and never found a solution which suits. Hoping this will be 'the one' :D

All the best to you

Dean
What did you miss in the programs you tried? Maybe I can incorporate it in this program.

The version I'm working on now has the following specs:

- Drag and drop to other applications (WavLab, Sound Forge, FL Studio ...)
- custom SQL searches
- user defined tags in 4 categories: Timre, Source, Articulation, Genre.
- automatic tagging while you import samples (progam searches for defined tags in filename, file path, riff header, bwf header)

I'v been discussing your program with a friend of mine and he reminded me one similar project
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/ ... organized/ which I think is abandoned now. Don't remember what was wrong and why in never got finished.
I like the free tagging approach there and the random item picker :)

toitoi wrote:I'v been discussing your program with a friend of mine and he reminded me one similar project
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/ ... organized/ which I think is abandoned now. Don't remember what was wrong and why in never got finished.
Ok. I didn't know that, but mine's is more like a database system then a tag system. I copy Sampletaggers features and give my comments on them to compare both programs.
SampleTagger wrote: Features:
Clean user interface build around three tabbed views and two tag panels.
Is this a feature? :lol: For me it's part of the gui. Mine sux, but you'll see all the needed information in one glance.

SampleTagger wrote:Classic explorer view with a list synced to a tree.
That's one approach. I like the database approach.
SampleTagger wrote:File scanner with variable scanning depth.
Mine's scan's just everything.
SampleTagger wrote:Tagging system using 255 user-defined tags.
My tagging system is virtually unlimited. You can have unlimit tags in 4 category's. The size depends on ram and diskspace.

SampleTagger wrote:Audio preview of *.wav, *.aiff, *.flac,mp3.
Currently only wav's but others could be in done. But I don't it very usefull because all the music file are compressed and lesser quality, except (uncompressed) wav. But if you want it, why not...
SampleTagger wrote:Support for these file formats, including *.mid.
No midi support for me, but can be done. Again, I don't think it's usefull.
SampleTagger wrote:Virtual folders view with lists used to hold bookmarked items.
Nice feature. I steal that idea :D

SampleTagger wrote:Tag editing routines(copy, paste, overpaste, clear, spray) working on multi- item selection.
Working on...
SampleTagger wrote:Contextual taging and various contextual actions depending on the activeview.
Sounds like mine's autotag system/filter
SampleTagger wrote:Item searches using logical tag filtering routines (AND inclusive, AND exclusive, OR).
The user can create his/her own search routines if he/she has some SQL knowledge.
SampleTagger wrote:Single string searches and dual string searches(AND, OR, AND NOT).
See searching logical tag filtering...

SampleTagger wrote:Random item picker to make unusual sample selections.
That's fun :-) That shouldn't be to difficult to do...

SampleTagger wrote:Support for file drop to another application.
Done...
SampleTagger wrote:Various application settings allow to change the performances, the behaviour or the look of the software.
Well, that's part of the gui. I have afcourse something similar...
SampleTagger wrote:Save,load library files, maintenance of the library.
Database is saved. The selections could be saved and loaded. Feature is planned...
SampleTagger wrote:Complete menu reference and advanced description of the application in a pdf document.
Hmm, my English sux so someone else can write that. I think that if I write it, it's totally useless. :lol

SampleTagger wrote: Customisable toolbar.
Mine has a simple gui so the user doesn't have to customize things....

I'm not saying that my program is the best, because that's definitly not the case. For me is this program a way to relearn programming applications , like i did 15 years ago.

Here are some screenshots from the current version (working on).

A new version is available: httP://www.jeroenvanrooij.com/sam/setup09011.exe

Features:
Drag and drop to other applications
FLAC support
Tagging
Custom SQL searches

Still very beta...

Report bugs here:

Looks very nice :phones: only the left column seems a bit unstructured, I mean the free space could be used for something ;), liked more the horizontal tag columns.
And I Have a quick idea: the sample waveform or the search bar for long samples.

This sounds like it is going to be super useful, when it's finished. Well done!
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

toitoi wrote:Looks very nice :phones: only the left column seems a bit unstructured, I mean the free space could be used for something ;), liked more the horizontal tag columns.
And I Have a quick idea: the sample waveform or the search bar for long samples.
You mean smaller boxes?

I know the program is missing a waveform, but I have no clue how to program that. I'm just an old Cobol programmer with a bit of Delphi knowledge. But I seen some sample code, so in the future there will be some kind of waveform in the program. It just takes time to figure out how to display binary data to something usefull.

tropicalontour wrote:This sounds like it is going to be super useful, when it's finished. Well done!
+1 this will be my time saver, when i'm back on pc in some weeks to reconstruct my broken external hd
"It dreamed itself along"

For people who want to define their own SQL-filters, this is the DDL:

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE [sounds] ([ROWID] AUTOINC,[Filename] CHAR NOT NULL,
                             [Filepath] CHAR,
                             [Playtime] CHAR,
                             [Frequency] INTEGER,
                             [Channels] INTEGER,
                             [SampleFormat] INTEGER,
                             [Resolution] INTEGER,
                             [RIFFInfo] CHAR,
                             [BEXTDescription] CHAR,
                             [BEXTOriginator] CHAR,
                             [BEXTOriginatorReference] CHAR,
                             [BEXTOriginationDate] CHAR,
                             [BEXTOriginationTime] CHAR,
                             [BEXTTimeReference] CHAR,
                             [BEXTBWFVersion] CHAR,
                             [BEXTCodingHistory] CHAR,
                             [TimbreTags] CHAR,
                             [SourceTags] CHAR,
                             [ArticulationTags] CHAR,
                             [GenreTags] CHAR,
                             [Category] CHAR);
Send any usefull SQL statements to me and I will release it with the program.

Yuroun wrote:
You mean smaller boxes?
sorry, I meant the horizontal alignment of the tag boxes looks much better, but smaller boxes would be an option to :roll:

toitoi wrote:
Yuroun wrote:
You mean smaller boxes?
sorry, I meant the horizontal alignment of the tag boxes looks much better, but smaller boxes would be an option to :roll:
Ok :-)

Hmmm, I could move the boxes underneath the sample list, like in SampleTagger and make them a bit smaller for another category box. But then you have to scroll for the tags.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”