Kirk Hunter Studios FAQs, Tips and Peer2Peer Info Sharing Thread

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

synchronizer wrote:I'm curious if it's possible to make more TVEC 3 versions of Diamond instruments; namely the non-solo woodwinds.

Thank you for looking into the key switches and missing sample :). (That's the only one I've found thus far.)

Thanks for the scraping bow solution too! :D

One thing that I've noticed though: The upward slides in string instruments work, but for some reason I can't get the downward slides to work. Is there a problem or is there some procedure that I haven't figured out. For up slides, I move the pitch wheel up and then press the note. It works there. If I move the wheel down though, the note plays normally.
Tell me the exact name of the instrument that has the issue, and I'll take a look.

EDIT:

The instrument is in the TVEC 3 instruments folder, and in the folder called 41_COMB_46_players.

Instruments: a 46 strings all articulations
d 46 strings short notes

(Either instrument set to Short, staccato 3 "Spiccato") No sample is played for me.

synchronizer wrote:I'd like to point out that the "46 Strings" instrument in Diamond seems to have a sample missing: Short Notes, Staccato 3, Spiccato. If it's indeed a missing sample, I hope the problem will be addressed soon. I have had no more problems regarding missing content.
Ah, I forgot. That strings combination set did not include spiccato. I will try to eliminate the confusion in the gui.

One more thing, I randomly chose an instrument: Diamond English Horn Solo, and the last two notes on the keyboard don't play. Perhaps it's simply mislabeled and the two notes are out of range. Just checking. EDIT: The Kontakt orchestral library has a couple extra notes on the high end for its oboe. Are these missing samples?
Thank you for ending the confusing regarding the 46 strings :).

May I ask?: Is any part of Diamond fully sampled, or does each instrument have stretched samples here and there? I'm just curious.

synchronizer wrote:One more thing, I randomly chose an instrument: Diamond English Horn Solo, and the last two notes on the keyboard don't play. Perhaps it's simply mislabeled and the two notes are out of range. Just checking. EDIT: The Kontakt orchestral library has a couple extra notes on the high end for its oboe. Are these missing samples?
Thank you for ending the confusing regarding the 46 strings :).

May I ask?: Is any part of Diamond fully sampled, or does each instrument have stretched samples here and there? I'm just curious.
Fist of all, a lot of Diamond is chromatically sampled....such as most of the woodwinds, most of the newer strings such as concert strings 1 and studio strings, and a lot of the newer concert brass 1 as well.

I will be uploading a fix for the string combinations patch for diamond so that the staccato knob and keyswitching only allows the available articulations where staccato is concerned.

The ranges of the woodwinds you mention are ok. It's just the keyboard representation has a mistake.

Thank you very much for the information.

Concert Strings I isn't in TVEC though, hopefully it is what is used in "Diamond Strings". EDIT: It isn't oh well. It's too bad that more of Diamond isn't put into TVEC 3.1. It's absolutely fantastic technology! :D

I have to ask about RAM usage with Concert Strings II and Concert Brass II.

It seems very high.

I load Reaper and Kontakt and 8 instruments.
2 solo violins and a Quad Violin and 2 solo Cellos and a quad Cello.
Task Manager says 1.55gb.
I purge all of the samples and windows Task Manager says I am using 1.5gb of RAM.

That's with zero samples loaded.

I then checked Task Manager with just Reaper and Kontakt loaded.

It says 570mb. That's with 4 instances of Kontakt. I know I can load everything in one instance. Kontakt uses about 40mb per instance.

I load the above instruments (with all samples purged) and it says 1.55gb.

That's 980mb for 8 instruments with no samples.

If I then play the small piece that I wrote Kontakt loads 40mb of samples.

I'm using 40mb of samples (plus about 570mb for Reaper, Kontakt and windows)and I'm using 1.55gb of RAM.

What is taking up 980mb of RAM?

With CB II French Horns the overhead is even larger.
With all samples purged it uses about 200mb of RAM.
Last edited by P.T. on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

P.T. wrote:What is taking up [so much] RAM?
I don't have a definitive answer for you but I've been very interested in knowing this myself. i've learned this week that until I can afford some more power I need a way to get a handle on this if i'm going to make serious use of CB2 (just using it with Player while waiting for full version)

my theory is that Kontakt's scripts are the culprit. but that's just a guess by process of elimination. I know next to squat about Kontakt's inner workings

kcisANDderit wrote:
P.T. wrote:What is taking up [so much] RAM?
I don't have a definitive answer for you but I've been very interested in knowing this myself. i've learned this week that until I can afford some more power I need a way to get a handle on this if i'm going to make serious use of CB2 (just using it with Player while waiting for full version)

my theory is that Kontakt's scripts are the culprit. but that's just a guess by process of elimination. I know next to squat about Kontakt's inner workings
It's actually worse than I said in my above post.

I was going from memory of the testing I had done.

I just checked again and revised mu above post.

I can't get much work done like this either.
I have to constantly render tracks.

hey Kirk,
TVEC 3-point-one...is there an update for Pop/Rock I missed?

P.T. wrote:I can't get much work done like this either.
you don't want to hear the workflow i've come up with to deal with it (It's bad enough I tend to work slowly)

kcisANDderit wrote:
P.T. wrote:I can't get much work done like this either.
you don't want to hear the workflow i've come up with to deal with it (It's bad enough I tend to work slowly)
Rendering really isn't a solution because I want to edit instruments against each other, so I really need the midi to be active for any instruments I am working on.

Ram Usage.

I think this is a TVEC 3 issue.

I have Diamond.
Both the TVEC 2 version and the TVEC 3 version.

I just loaded the Violins in TVEC 2. The Concert Violins as I am fairly certain those are the ones used in the TVEC 3 instrument.

Task Manager went from 487 to 504 with the Violins loaded and purged.

I then tried the TVEC 3 Violins.
Task Manager went from 487 to 604.

TVEC 3 is using an extra 100mb.

Kirk.

Is there a chance that we could have the TVEC 2 instruments for CS II and CB II if they exist?

Is there a chance that the RAM usage could be brought down in line with the TVEC 2 instruments?

Those of us on windows 32 bit systems and the 2 gb limit could use that extra 100mb per instrument.
It adds up quickly in an orchestral piece.

I tend to use at least 5 string sections, 4 brass and woodwinds and percussion. Even just the strings and brass is an extra 900mb.

That's the difference between being able to work and not being able to work.

Maybe it won't help much.

I just checked PRS.
I have both TVEC 2 and TVEC 3.

TVEC 3 uses about 100mb and TVEC 2 uses about 70mb.

The extra 30, if it is consistent across all instruments might help in a pinch: 9 x 30mb= 270mb.

P.T. wrote:Kirk.

Is there a chance that we could have the TVEC 2 instruments for CS II and CB II if they exist?

Is there a chance that the RAM usage could be brought down in line with the TVEC 2 instruments?

Those of us on windows 32 bit systems and the 2 gb limit could use that extra 100mb per instrument.
It adds up quickly in an orchestral piece.

I tend to use at least 5 string sections, 4 brass and woodwinds and percussion. Even just the strings and brass is an extra 900mb.

That's the difference between being able to work and not being able to work.
hi,

just a few things to clarify:

a) as far as I know the memory limit of a 32 bit windows system is like 3gb (with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE)
b) that an instrument has a larger sample amount linked to it does not mean that kontakt actually uses more memory. Kontakt has disk streaming (direct from disk) so it dynamically loads the samples needed. With "purge" you can bring the samples loaded from start down to a very low size (however, when playing live, you might experience more glitches then)

hope this helps

cheers, akj

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”