Kirk Hunter Studios FAQs, Tips and Peer2Peer Info Sharing Thread

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

abshet monkey wrote:
synchronizer wrote:
KirkHunter wrote:
synchronizer wrote:Thank you very much for the information.

Concert Strings I isn't in TVEC though, hopefully it is what is used in "Diamond Strings". EDIT: It isn't oh well. It's too bad that more of Diamond isn't put into TVEC 3.1. It's absolutely fantastic technology! :D
Actually, if you get Diamond, you do get TVEC 3 with Concert Strings 1.
Pardon me for my ignorance, but from my understanding, the only instruments that use TVEC 3.1 are in the TVEC 3.1 instruments folder. The vast majority of the instruments doesn't use it at all. -at least, the only instruments labeled "concert strings" come up with this interface:

I'm rather confused. Have I not installed everything correctly?
I just bought Diamond and I haven't been able to load it into Kontakt 4 as a library as it looks like you have. I was under the impression this wasn't possible. I'm new to Kontakt as well.

Am I not able to load Diamond as a library in Kontakt because I installed wrong? I can load instruments by going through the Files tab, but it isn't ideal for navigating through so many folders and nki files. Is there an advantage to using the Library tab?
With Diamond, you don't need to go through the "Add Library" process. Just open the instruments, and you're good to go.

synchronizer wrote:Yet we all can agree that TVEC 3.1 is much nicer. It would be great if all of the instruments could be updated, but alas, I doubt it's worth Kirk's effort. It WOULD be great though. I wouldn't mind the lack of background art.
Not always.

I find that the sound of the TVEC 2 clarinet and the clarinet in the Older Folder sounds better than the TVEC 3 version.

I wouldn't have expected the programming to change the sound, but it has in some cases. I think they are all the same samples.

KirkHunter wrote:
abshet monkey wrote:
synchronizer wrote:
KirkHunter wrote:
synchronizer wrote:Thank you very much for the information.

Concert Strings I isn't in TVEC though, hopefully it is what is used in "Diamond Strings". EDIT: It isn't oh well. It's too bad that more of Diamond isn't put into TVEC 3.1. It's absolutely fantastic technology! :D
Actually, if you get Diamond, you do get TVEC 3 with Concert Strings 1.
Pardon me for my ignorance, but from my understanding, the only instruments that use TVEC 3.1 are in the TVEC 3.1 instruments folder. The vast majority of the instruments doesn't use it at all. -at least, the only instruments labeled "concert strings" come up with this interface:

I'm rather confused. Have I not installed everything correctly?
I just bought Diamond and I haven't been able to load it into Kontakt 4 as a library as it looks like you have. I was under the impression this wasn't possible. I'm new to Kontakt as well.

Am I not able to load Diamond as a library in Kontakt because I installed wrong? I can load instruments by going through the Files tab, but it isn't ideal for navigating through so many folders and nki files. Is there an advantage to using the Library tab?
With Diamond, you don't need to go through the "Add Library" process. Just open the instruments, and you're good to go.
But, it's in the Library Tab rather than the Files Tab.

If you put the Diamond folder inside of the Kontakt Instruments folder it will show up in the Library Tab inside of the Kontakt Library.

In both CB2 and Diamond the volume control (in settings)for the intervals only works for UP intervals. It has no effect on DOWN intervals.

Is that the way it was programmed or is it a bug?

I would like to be able to change both the up and down interval volume.

Last edited by amadeusrecords on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

P.T. wrote:I have to ask about RAM usage with Concert Strings II and Concert Brass II.

It seems very high.

I load Reaper and Kontakt and 8 instruments.
2 solo violins and a Quad Violin and 2 solo Cellos and a quad Cello.
Task Manager says 1.55gb.
/../
I've read much about, because I have similar troubles. Also with other libraries. Problem seems to be in Win XP which is not capable to work hard and good with modern software as Reaper and Kontakt. All people using 64bit OS and more RAM do not report any memory management troubles with it.

P.T. wrote:In both CB2 and Diamond the volume control (in settings)for the intervals only works for UP intervals. It has no effect on DOWN intervals.

Let me look into that.

P.T. wrote:In both CB2 and Diamond the volume control (in settings)for the intervals only works for UP intervals. It has no effect on DOWN intervals.

Ok, there is a slight bug. The volume for the "down" intervals does work, but just not on the 6ths and 7ths. I've found the fix, and will post the update when finished here on this thread.

I can honestly say that I love the sound of the instruments, but the keyswitches are giving me a bit of trouble. Despite what people have said numerous times, no I can not map the switches the way i want them to be. In the instrument itself, "smooth" is C#1. In my program, this is read as C#0. No matter what is done, the switches are mapped incorrectly. Perhaps adding extended keyboard support would help. I'm using Cubase 6 64-bit by the way.

Yes, I could deal with the problem and get used to it, but I am truly struggling when making compositions. I have to switch between Kontakt and the piano editor repeatedly.
Perhaps it can be looked into.

Basically, would extending the keyboard also make the keyswitches map differently? Most likely not. No matter what it seems that every switch is mapped one octave above its actual note.

synchronizer wrote:I can honestly say that I love the sound of the instruments, but the keyswitches are giving me a bit of trouble. Despite what people have said numerous times, no I can not map the switches the way i want them to be. In the instrument itself, "smooth" is C#1. In my program, this is read as C#0. No matter what is done, the switches are mapped incorrectly. Perhaps adding extended keyboard support would help. I'm using Cubase 6 64-bit by the way.

Yes, I could deal with the problem and get used to it, but I am truly struggling when making compositions. I have to switch between Kontakt and the piano editor repeatedly.
Perhaps it can be looked into.

Basically, would extending the keyboard also make the keyswitches map differently? Most likely not. No matter what it seems that every switch is mapped one octave above its actual note.
Assigning keyswitch notes is MIDI-based. Therefore, the name "C#1" does not really mean anything. Just map it to the MIDI note you want. By default the current "C#1" mapping = MIDI note 25, which happens to be the lowest C# on most 88-note controllers.

I guess I'll have to deal with it then. Ah well. I could make a couple Cubase expression maps.

Speaking of those, has anyone bothered making any expression maps? I'd certainly find them useful, especially for the key switches that require double taps. Those are kind of tricky.

An how about using a Cubase's midi transformer? (midi inserts).

synchronizer wrote:... the switches are mapped incorrectly.
keywitches are never mapped incorrectly cuz there is no incorrect, it's all arbitrary. a dev can put them wherever he/she chooses below or above the instrument's range

but with KHS libraries you're given a choice to leave them at their defaults or move them to your liking

if in your program smooth reads as C#0 and you want it at C#1 then move it in the instrument to C#2

easy...
Last edited by kcisANDderit on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

standalone wrote:An how about using a Cubase's midi transformer? (midi inserts).
that is an excellent idea

in Live I do a similar thing. I use a midi rack preset before a drum VSTi to transpose notes to the VSTi's mapping if it's different from general midi

That will easily apply to Diamond, CS2 and CB2 keyswitch mapping if you want to deal with it that way

moved to next page
Last edited by DarkStar on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”