Native Instruments Piano Advice? Alicia's Keys v. Komplete Pianos

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all, I am a proud owner of Komplete 8 standard, and love the three pianos included in the package (although the Berlin Grand is strangely more quiet than the other two). There's now a chance for me to purchase Alicia's Keys for a fraction of its original price, but I'd like to know how it compares with the normal three pianos I already have? In fact, how does it compare to something like the Best Service Galaxy D or the new Cinesamples Piano in Blue?
I have until tonight to decide if Alicia's Keys is considerably more advantageous for my compositions than the Berlin/Vienna/New York Grands are.

Thank you very much. :)

I have the Berlin/Vienna/New York Grands and Alecia's Keys. IMO Alecia's keys is FAR better than the others. Alecia's Keys' resonance, sustain and playability is beautiful whereas the others seem dry and stiff in comparison. Just my pinion.

Agreed with vintagevibe. I really want Piano in Blue, though.

I have the Akoustik pianos from the older Classics collection. I think they work pretty well especially when toned down a bit. I listened to the Piano in Blue demo and it is one awesome sounding Piano, lots of character without all the over processed gimmicks - it does really seem to be inherent to the piano itself and a seemingly very true recording and sampling technique. Too bad I hate the Kontact interface and mixer so much that I can't bare to buy it - I'd love to have some instruments made for it.

I once tested Alicia's Keys and the Galaxy Vintage D side by side. Both sound very good and can, despite the fact the one is a new Yamaha and the other is a vintage Steinway, actually be tweaked to sound similar. This is were the big advantage of the Galaxy D comes in: tweakability. It is very versatile with lots of options, while Aliac's Keys does not give you too much possibilities in sound shaping.

cheers, akj

ps: you can live-test the Galaxy D via http://www.try-sound.com/
btw. myfavourites are the Galaxy Vienna (imo the best sounding general purpose grand piano) and the Baby Grand (for a character piano).

Wow thanks for all of the responses everyone!
I should have mentioned that I found Alicia's Keys for a very cheap price on ebay. I lost unfortunately.

So...

I must say that I've tried the vintage D on the trysound website, and it is definitely my FAVORITE virtual piano. I just can't afford it :(. In addition, I am choosing between pianos and the VSL flute. My next piece calls for a lot of flure/piano unison...I wish someone was willing to part with his vintage D or baby grand license at this point. Relying on one's parents' income is troublesome, and I don't think I have anything of value to trade or sell...Miroslav Classik...couple games software. Before I become far too tamgential:

The vintage D is my favorite virtual piano in any case.

if money is tight: wait for discounts at sampletekk - they come on a regular basis - and get for a (close recorded) pop/rock piano the White Grand Junior and the Black Grand Ambient for a classical sounding piano. It will be around 50 USD for both and you get pianos imo much better the ones in Komplete...

Yes, well, it's too bad that Best Service doesn't offer educational discounts to individual customers.

subscribe to the newsletter. Every once in a while they have a 30 Euros coupon.

synchronizer wrote:Relying on one's parents' income is troublesome, and I don't think I have anything of value to trade or sell...
Have you installed the free Kontakt 5 Player, UVI Workstation 2, and SampleTank Free to see if they have the sounds you're looking for?

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... -5-player/
http://www.uvisoundsource.com/uvi-works ... icles_id/8
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/sampletankfree/features/

synchronizer wrote:Relying on one's parents' income is troublesome
Don't want to sound douchey, but maybe you could find a part time job? When I was a kid I washed dishes all summer to save up $1500 or whatever it was for an Amiga 500... my beloved Amiga 500... :cry: ... sometimes you gotta take the bull by the horns and do what ya gotta do, right? Short of that, I can only say, with some degree of qualification, that you've certainly picked an expensive hobby. 8)

Alicia's Keys is a wonderful instrument. Makes the other ones static and lifeless. It does lack a true forte range/dynamic/layer. The demos of the new Piano In Blue sounds great too. Am I correct that it's only 8 layers?

Alex Cremers wrote:Alicia's Keys is a wonderful instrument. Makes the other ones static and lifeless. It does lack a true forte range/dynamic/layer. The demos of the new Piano In Blue sounds great too. Am I correct that it's only 8 layers?
Cinesamples' Piano in Blue is 8 velocity layers, but it's not limiting like you might think. It's very playable and has an incredible sound.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Right now I'm looking into
Galaxy II Vintage D (and the Galaxy II Imperial Grand),
Piano in Blue,
and Ivory II. Ivory seems overpriced though, and I'm on the fence about its sound.

There's also the white grand: http://www.sampletekk.com/wgresource.php

EDIT: I hadn't taken velocity layers into consideration.

The Vintage D says:

13 modeled velocity zones for a wide and smooth dynamic range

Does this mean that it's fake? I'm looking for the most realism with out resorting to Vienna Imperial and the like. I also checked on some Vintage D reviews, and it seems that it lacks in the Sympathetic Resonance department, and has velocity jumps.

A LOT of people are praising Truepianos as well.

What would work best?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”