EWQLSO alternatives?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone recommend any newer library that has the cold and "austere" sound of the EWQLSO?

Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuaDhXlJeU

Jeremy Soule endorses Garritan, but I'm sure the bulk of this track is not made with Garritan.

anyone?

Spitfire Albion combined with LASS

tehlord wrote:Spitfire Albion combined with LASS
Word.

Thanks! Didn't think of the "combining" option.

Can you describe the sound of Albion? The demo on the Spitfire site isn't enough.

I just find the stuff like SAM and HollywoodStrings/Brass too colored.

canadianlight wrote:

Can you describe the sound of Albion? The demo on the Spitfire site isn't enough.

I think it's the right side of epic

http://soundcloud.com/alexpfeffer/feel-the-steam

tehlord wrote:
canadianlight wrote:

I think it's the right side of epic

http://soundcloud.com/alexpfeffer/feel-the-steam
Does the LASS mix well with other libraries?

Why wouldn't it? It's all in the person doing the mixing ;)

Why is the EWQLSO being recommended everywhere as an "orchestral synth"? Does it include sample manipulating features beyond what samplers like kontakt do?

Maybe that's why it sounds "synthy" and are used for games?

I can also recommend the combination of Albion and LASS Lite and it's a lovely string sound.

Albion also has brass and winds, but you'll want something else with a little more detail in thos areas too. Cinesamples being an option.

synaesthesia wrote:I can also recommend the combination of Albion and LASS Lite and it's a lovely string sound.

Albion also has brass and winds, but you'll want something else with a little more detail in thos areas too. Cinesamples being an option.
I was concerned that the LASS Lite would not be layerable onto anything else because it already has 16 violins. The total sum of the sounds wold overwhelm.

I think some nice sounding sample-based synths may be a better option here if all I do is mix them inside the rich harmonic textures of something like Albion?

Can anyone recommend any?

canadianlight wrote:Why is the EWQLSO being recommended everywhere as an "orchestral synth"? Does it include sample manipulating features beyond what samplers like kontakt do?

Maybe that's why it sounds "synthy" and are used for games?

Whoever said "orchestral synth" is an idiot, sorry. It's not a synth, it has very VERY basic options to change the sound, basically just the envelope, and the reverb (in PLAY engine version, not within Kontakt - in the old Kontakt EWQLSO... you can load it in Kontakt and play to your heart's content with it). It's an orchestral sample library, not a synth.

Does anyone have Cinematic Strings here? How does it sound, because the demos all sound very dark and "romantic". I'm not sure if it's the sound of the samples themselves or if they are dressing the demos up to compete with HS. But that is the kind of sound I do not want.

canadianlight wrote:I was concerned that the LASS Lite would not be layerable onto anything else because it already has 16 violins. The total sum of the sounds wold overwhelm.
Well, if you played both libraries at full tilt, perhaps. But the idea is that you blend the sounds.

For me, LASS covers the detail, plays the lines (and I tone the dynamics down from full, where it's a little scratchy) and then I have Albion's strings playing under the violins and cellos to add that warmth and air.

How dry is the close mic of the EWQLSO? I think maybe it can be layered onto OSR2 to create an atmospheric sound.

Or maybe Session Strings Pro?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”