FREE K4: Hideaway Studio: Cinema Strings

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In my ever continuing quest to explore the often forgotten field of classic analog and tube signal processing I got curious and wondered what it might sound like to tap an external signal into the triple free running parallel analog chorus stages in the ARP Omni.

Well, it's brimming with phasey character for sure!...

Very different from the usual Roland Chorus offering...

So I ended up feeding it with an FM string patch from an old Yamaha TX802 and sending the resulting signal through mild DIY tube overdrive and into tube EQ.

The result was a lush electronic ensemble with an almost Cinematic quality to it.

Here it is multisampled, looped and layered on octaves free for download:

UPDATED LINK - Now Hosted by BPB along with my other recent K4 freebies:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/03 ... ay-studio/

As with my other occasional free offerings, I'd rather they were only distributed on KVR unless I have personally granted permission to host them elsewhere.

All the best,

Dan Wilson
Hideaway Studio.
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks Dan. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

thanks!
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Sounds really nice - thanks :)
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Thanks for the freebie. Really awesome.

Thanks much for your generosity!

Thanks for your kind words - it was a fruitful experiment.

The triple parallel analog chorus stages in the Solina and the ARP Omni, like most string synths of the era, form a vital part of their sound.

Essentially they transform a basic single static sawtooth waveform per note into three which slide, mix and phase against each other as the chorus LFOs are not phase locked.

A very similar but more complex approach was implemented in the Eminent 310U, often considered to be the grandfather of all string synths but it utilised two mixed free running LFOs per chorus stage to produce a more organic feeling of movement. The technology was later simplified and became the Solina.

Without this signal processing in place there would literally have to be three times more circuitry to produce the same effect to implement 3 waveform generators per key ie. 3 full divide down chains each with their own free-running master oscillators.

This is in fact what was implemented in the very first string synth architecture.

With this in mind it's been fascinating to hear what becomes of external signals passed through this analog process.

Here is a very quick improvised demo of Cinema Strings in action:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1oxi9f

HideawayStudio wrote:
Here is a very quick improvised demo of Cinema Strings in action:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1oxi9f
Gawjus. Epic. Lovely. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

thank you :)

Thanks!

Thanks! ;)

gorgeous. THis will be quite useful. Thanks

Thanks!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thank You!

Again, many thanks to those who have taken the time to leave some kind words...

Much Appreciated,

Dan.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”