Put samples on SSD or HDD (internal vs external)?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm updating two more of my systems (AMD 965-BE PhenumII's), with Samsung 830 series 128Gb SSD's for OS, and 2x Raid-0 WD 500Gb RE4 HDD's (see below) for samples/patches etc. Has been working extremely well with the first workstation I built with this configuration, so WOO HOO!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136697

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

whyterabbyt wrote:
k3ith wrote:USB3 is more than enough... Install your OS and programs onto your SSD and just install your libraries and samples over onto a USB3 drive. :shock:
Because the drive itself doesnt matter, as long as the interface is USB3. Yay for 5400rpm drives with a fancy cable, much better than yer SSD any day of the week.
I use a USB3 1TB 5400RPM external "WD Passport" drive and it loads patches for Omnisphere, Kontakt, UVIWorkstation, HALion Sonic and just about everything else under the sun in less than one second.

Now go back to your bedroom or "project studio"; whatever you like to call it, and waste the next four days of your life worrying about what you should buy next in order for your music to stop sounding like shit.

k3ith

k3ith wrote:I use a USB3 1TB 5400RPM external "WD Passport" drive and it loads patches for Omnisphere, Kontakt, UVIWorkstation, HALion Sonic and just about everything else under the sun in less than one second.
well that's me convinced

Now go back to your bedroom or "project studio"; whatever you like to call it, and waste the next four days of your life worrying about what you should buy next in order for your music to stop sounding like shit.
Had to ask your mom for extra pocket money for that WD, did ya?
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

whyterabbyt wrote: Had to ask your mom for extra pocket money for that WD, did ya?
See this is what happens when your shit sucks. Stop trolling teh internets and learn to make music dude!
Last edited by k3ith on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k3ith wrote:See this is what happens when your shit sucks. Stop trolling teh internets and make music dude! x
amazing repartee for a twelve-year old.
OFFICIAL free competition : If you' see martiu post 'why you mad homie' or similar after this post, you are a prizewinner, and a free reverb plugin is yours. PM martiu immediately, and ask for your prize. He'll give it to you, baby!

whyterabbyt wrote:
k3ith wrote:See this is what happens when your shit sucks. Stop trolling teh internets and make music dude! x
Yep, great! This is what happens to people when they spend all there time collecting/buying VST's. They forget how to make music. I woke up, tried to be helpful to the OP and this guy trolls me. Anyway, I'm done. Don't feed the troll.

k3ith wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Yep, great! This is what happens to people when they spend all there time collecting/buying VST's. They forget how to make music. I woke up, tried to be helpful to the OP and this guy trolls me. Anyway, I'm done. Don't feed the troll.
When you get past being a sulky kid whining because someone disagreed with you on teh interweb, let me know. Just FYI, its actually called 'disagreeing because I do that kind of stuff for a living' not 'trolling'.

OS, most used software and Samples on SSD definitely.

Use 3.5 i. HDD for storage only.

I have the following setup here:

128 GB SSD: OS
2 TB WD Black: Data
360 GB SSD: Current music production projects & sample libraries

If I could only have one SSD, it would definitely be going to the OS. The speed improvement is extremely noticeable and well worth it.

Having samples on an SSD is awesome too, although would be my second priority. It does indeed drastically speed up load times in Omnisphere and Kontakt.

I look forward to the day when I can completely stop using mechanical drives :)

EvilDragon wrote: Seagates suck overall from my experience. Wouldn't ever consider purchasing them again. Only Samsung and WD.
although not much to choose since seagate bought samsungs hdd division and western digital bought hitachis. :P

so now there are only two.

anway,i'm quite happy with my 3 tb barracuda beside my ssd for the os but i avoid streaming from disk and use the ram instead.

Don't forget the hybrid drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148837

A good compromise between speed, capacity and price, especially for us laptop users.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

I'm having SSD for system (which is very nice) and 7200 Seagate HDD for everything else. I was thinking about getting another SSD just for samples, but these things are just too expensive to justify the move. I'd need 256GB to accommodate all the libraries and have space to expand them (for the price of 256GB SSD I can get 3x 2TB HDDs), so well it doesn't seem worth it, concerning that I have no problem streaming samples from HDD.

Evil Dragon had bad experience with Seagates... Funny, I had the same vibe with WD's. I've been using Seagates from years and never had problem with them, actually all of them are still working. I change active drives every 3 years or so and I keep the old ones for backups, I now have a stock of 6 old (some very) Seagates, all working no problem. On the other hand I only had two WD in my computer experience and both died suddenly and irrecoverably within a month of use. The matter of luck I guess.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”