What's currently the best library/plugin for vocals?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Blue and the Ladies. Blue can sing entire songs while the Ladies excel in background, scat, and melodic languages of your own making. They're both outstanding. Blue and the Ladies can be darkened and if you tune Kontakt down 4 semitones you will have some fair sounding gents.

You can feed Blue through Vielklang 2, Izotope Nectar, Elatique Pitch V2, etc. for some great tonal changes and harmonies (formant/gender shaping so Blue sounds like different singers harmonizing).

I'm really looking forward to the Gents.

I also like Soloists of Prague by Virharmonic, although I'm not yet satisfied with the words I've gotten out of it; I need to work at it more.

I also like Cantor 2 which can do a lot more than some folks claim. Also have some nice vocaloids (versions 1,2,3, and one 4 which all run on win 8.1 for me, though not all officially supported).

Also definitely recommend Piapro Studio for vocaloids 2, 3, and 4 which runs directly in your host. You can load as many vocaloids as are compatible and build up quite a choir which can sing about anything you want with a little work of course. (You need the import tool to get voc 2 libraries into Piapro Studio which officially runs voc 3 and 4 libraries.)

Musical Gym wrote:You can feed Blue through Vielklang 2, Izotope Nectar, Elatique Pitch V2, etc. for some great tonal changes and harmonies (formant/gender shaping so Blue sounds like different singers harmonizing).
Interesting. Do you have any examples of tracks with Blue and Vielklang harmonies? I've tried formant shifting on harmony vocals with RoVee and Little AlterBoy, but always thought it throws the timing off too much unless it's a very background track with heavy reverb etc. It works OK when the backing vocal track is a different track with naturally different timing, but for making multpile harmony tracks out of one take I don't like it too much. But those are free effects, Vielklang is a lot more sophisticated.
Musical Gym wrote:Also definitely recommend Piapro Studio for vocaloids 2, 3, and 4 which runs directly in your host. You can load as many vocaloids as are compatible and build up quite a choir which can sing about anything you want with a little work of course. (You need the import tool to get voc 2 libraries into Piapro Studio which officially runs voc 3 and 4 libraries.)
Vocaloids etc. are another option. I'm currently working on a track with a human lead vocal and a few tracks of backing vocals in Alter/Ego. A/E also has the stack control and choir presets to make big choirs easier. It sounds surprisingly natural with a human lead vocal to hide behind, though we'll see if that's still true once they're panned around in stereo etc.

I like Blue but have a huge amount of trouble getting a decent "a" sound like "day" or "pay".

DSmolken wrote:Do you have any examples of tracks with Blue and Vielklang harmonies?
Not right now. Will try to let you know when I have something worth sharing.
For lead vocaloids, I would listen to as many different ones as you can on youtube to see which one most closely matches your needs. Some of the Engloids have an accent that you may or may not like.

spirit wrote:I like Blue but have a huge amount of trouble getting a decent "a" sound like "day" or "pay".
Did you try using eh and ee separately, then adjusting in piano roll? Mike has an example for making the word "away" in this video at about 2:30. here

Hi!
Currently searching for Kontakt Instrument that imitates singing, like this realivox ladies. I don't know if there are any similar kontakt instrument for creating pop/jazz vocals....
Is there any alternative?

For Kontakt specifically, most of the voice libraries I'm aware of are more scoring-oriented and Realivox Blue is really the only pop/jazz one. Outside of Kontakt, Vocaloid and UTAU would be the most popular choices but that's a very different sound. Could try asking some Vocaloid fans about the best Vocaloids for jazz. Alter/Ego is a newer option, very easy to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0nwptMq0k

Thanx! For me Vocaloid is not an option, I tried that.

You can use Vocalise or Mystica for experimental jazz. They allow sample start adjustments, etc. for triggering portions of samples. Vocalise is mapped to several keys and can do harmonies if you play with it.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”