Unconventional instrument sampling

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cut the strings with scissors (different instrument sound)

It can be done on any instrument that has strings in it.
01. Piano
02. Violin
03. Cello
04. Guitar
05. Harp
06. Dulcimer
07. Shamisen
08. Guzheng
09. Sitar
10. Koto
11. Zither

I am searching for sample libraries that has sampled cutting instrument strings with scissors while playing or not playing to make new articulation sounds.
Or you could scrape the strings with a knife until it breaks. Making a new sound.
------------------------------------

Blow the pipe underwater to make bouble sounds.
Microphones above the water to capture the sound.

It can be done on any instrument that has pipes in it.
01. Pipe organ (electricity not underwater) pipes blowing octaves underwater
02. Pan flute
03. Trumpet
04. Trombone
05. Saxophone

Sounds expensive

I like the idea, personally I'd like a piano break, play a key, hold and then smash the whole instrument with a big concrete block. Some round robin and velocity layers would be cool too.

I'd like to hear the underwater samples done with hydrophones as well as above the surface, and alternately with binaural mics on the people playing the instruments with their heads underwater.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

It really would create a killer sound if someone would play flute under water... My only fear is that he/she wouldn't come back to the surface again... :roll:

Zombie Queen wrote:I like the idea, personally I'd like a piano break, play a key, hold and then smash the whole instrument with a big concrete block. Some round robin and velocity layers would be cool too.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

The only unconventional instrument I've thought would be interesting is a prepared guitar. I've made a piece breaking guitar strings by overtightening them - the sound of strings breaking is not really that interesting at the break-point. But if you include the strings flopping against the guitar and so forth it is okay. So for the string breaking piece for electric guitar I recorded both the direct signal into my soundcard and the acoustic signal with a close mic. I didn't us an amp - haven't used a guitar amp for many years
what you don't know only makes you stronger

We sampled strings in different settings (but not cutted) and different kind of pipes but not underwater.
Your ideas are very interesting by the way, we'll see if something can be done in the future 8)
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

audiothing wrote:We sampled strings in different settings (but not cutted) and different kind of pipes but not underwater.
Your ideas are very interesting by the way, we'll see if something can be done in the future 8)
DON'T SET YOUR MUSICIANS UNDER WATER!!! :uhuhuh:

Work in progress...this is the band "The Sand Tigers" - "Sha(r)ke me up"...:lol:

Tear a hard drive apart, play the drive platters. They're like wind chimes. Very pure tones but still with some pretty overtones (?).

Attach an end of a slinky or other large spring to a microphone, pluck it or tap it.

Sample the thumpy electric "BERMP!" noise burst of a large CRT powering on (like a big tv). Add reverb, use it like an orch hit.

Play a wind instrument in a drainage pipe under a local bridge and record it with portable sampler.

Make deep boomy drums by thumping your house's forced air ducts.

Set fire to a pop diva.

(Kidding. Don't do that)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

audiothing wrote:We sampled strings in different settings (but not cutted) and different kind of pipes but not underwater.
I've done a lot of hydrophone stuff - often times something that sounds good above can sound not so good below - the speed of sound is increased underwater and that can lead to a "tinnier" sound. The trick is to sample at 96kHZ (or as high as possible) and then play back at 48kHz so that you bring the out of hearing range harmonics into the audible range and generally add low freq content.

I did a piece for lots of bowls floating on the surface of a pool, where you toss ice into the pool - sometimes it hits the bowls, sometimes it just splashes etc and recorded that with hydrophones at either end of the pool (you need greater physical separation than normal for stereo because of the speed of sound increase)
Anyhow, the underwater sound was disappointing at the usual samplerate, nice slowed down though. And a nice piece to perform at a party if you have a swimming pool. Take drink from icechest, take a piece of ice too, toss ice in pool. Repeat :)
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Tricky-Loops wrote:]DON'T SET YOUR MUSICIANS UNDER WATER!!! :uhuhuh:
We'll see :D
woggle wrote:I've done a lot of hydrophone stuff - often times something that sounds good above can sound not so good below - the speed of sound is increased underwater and that can lead to a "tinnier" sound. The trick is to sample at 96kHZ (or as high as possible) and then play back at 48kHz so that you bring the out of hearing range harmonics into the audible range and generally add low freq content.
That's very good information, thanks for sharing. I don't have hydrophone stuff (yet) but I will look into it for sure. Probably I'll try some DIY first ;)
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Tricky-Loops wrote:DON'T SET YOUR MUSICIANS UNDER WATER!!! :uhuhuh:
Even Jimmy Savile warned about that once...

Great info about underwater recording, thanks!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”