Scarbee did it again! Scarbee Rickenbacker bass for Kontakt!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's a nice introductory video, but I'm still wondering about the round robins.

outstanding! I didn't watch this video before. Once again Thomas, great job
Guitar, Drum and Bass sample libraries for Kontakt
www.pettinhouse.com

jsp1979 wrote:I love it when Mike Rutherford is given the respect he deserves!
:)
jsp1979 wrote:It's amazing how much talent was in the five-man Genesis lineup with Gabriel, Collins, Banks, Rutherford, and Hackett. Mindblowing.
I saw them many times in the early 70s ... starting when they debuted Foxtrot in '72 as a support act to Lindisfarne and every tour subsequently. F'k me, they were bloody good. Famous, of course, for Gabriel's theatrics but they were a musical powerhouse and Rutherford/Collins were quite a rhythm section - tight as a gnat's chuffer ... and Rutherford was always understated and subtle.

And those were the days when, if you turned up early enough, waited for the Edwin Shirley trucks to turn up, you could help the crew with roadying and unloading. I did that several times (*) and met Mike a few times - lovely, modest bloke.

I later got to work with Peter as the samplist on his soundtrack for Scorcese's movie, 'The Last Temptation Of Christ'. Good times.

And trying to bring this back on topic... bass library? Get Tony Levin in to do a Chapman Stick library!! You've not experienced bass until you've been in a room with him playing Stick on full tilt. I have been lucky enough to have had that privilege and it pins you to the wall and is quite overwhelming!

(*) I fixed Banks' Mellotron on one occasion. Around 1976 (?) I had one but when doing the informal roadying thing at Bristol's Colston Hall, Banks' Tron was dead when it was unpacked. As a Tron owner, I was very used to to its notorious unreliability and was able to fix Tony's!

That was the same time when Collins turned up and gave his kit a work out/sound check. His drum chap had set it up, Phil turned up, adjusted a few things here and there and let rip. Jeeez H on a bike!!! The man barely cut a sweat and didn't even seem to be doing much but just sat there effortlessly pounding it out. Quite something being a few yards from that!

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Guys

There are up to 6 round robins pr. down-troke and 20 dynamic layers (individual down-strokes)

About routing: you need Full Kontakt - then just set bass to BOTH pickups - stereo and make the output 2xmono.
then you can use external plugins for pedals - like NI Guitar Rig.

Im sure Rutherford (big Genesis fan myself) spend more than 5 minutes on his setup - so you can also spend more than 5 ....haha

I love this bass and will use in on many of my new songs - now that I have more time to have fun for a while.

BTW the demos done get close to showing all the sounds....

just the DI sounds are 8: NECK, BRIDGE, BOTH MONO, BOTH STEREO - SAME FOR PAML-MUTED.

then add the amp,speakers,compression, eq tape etc.

you can have so much fun.....
Thomas Hansen Skarbye
Singer, Bass Player & Creative Director, SCARBEE
Websites: www.scarbee.com
MySpace: www.myspace.com/scarbee

Thanks for the reply.

Do you plan to release more basses like that in the future ? Or maybe acoustic guitars ?

Thank you for the information Mr. Skarbye! Out of curiosity, how many round robin samples did the MM-Bass have? I'm a hobbyist, and I currently use the MM bass in all of my compositions (that require a bass). I'm looking for something that can handle more repetitive patterns and I'm not sure if 6 is enough. Does the MM-bass have 2 or 4 then?

synchronizer wrote:Thank you for the information Mr. Skarbye! Out of curiosity, how many round robin samples did the MM-Bass have? I'm a hobbyist, and I currently use the MM bass in all of my compositions (that require a bass). I'm looking for something that can handle more repetitive patterns and I'm not sure if 6 is enough. Does the MM-bass have 2 or 4 then?
Hi

Its 6 round robins pr. Velocity zone...

So if you play ex 6 hits on velocity 127 its not same 6 on velocity 100
Also there are 1000 scrapes on Rickenbacker which uses a total randomization.
It really defines the attack so it adds too.

Since there are 12 individual upstrokes with 4-6 round robins pr zone you get 10-12 round robins or zone if you alternate up down on same velocity ( ex. 120)

On MM bass you dont have round robins but need to variate the velocities so you dont play 10x vel 127!
You do have auto index/middle alternation though
Thomas Hansen Skarbye

I will never stop making basses as I love them😄
Thomas Hansen Skarbye

Mr.Scarbee wrote:.

Im sure Rutherford (big Genesis fan myself) spend more than 5 minutes on his setup - so you can also spend more than 5 ....haha
Why not add special "artist preset" group to the next update of Scarbee Rick, once you can generate all these sounds with this product:
e.g. Rutherford. Squire, Macca Nowhere Man, Macca Lucy, Macca Glass Union, Macca Piggies etc. This would be both commercial (selling argument) and useful for the end user (save those 5-10 minutes). H.

Mr.Scarbee wrote:I will never stop making basses as I love them😄
Great :love: !

Hey Harry
Its possible to export/import presets and I definately want to create a little add-on on my site soon with lots of extra presets.
If you have a wish list with song titles/albums I can try to make presets come close.
That will be fun!😎
Thomas Hansen Skarbye

Mr.Scarbee wrote:Hey Harry
Its possible to export/import presets and I definately want to create a little add-on on my site soon with lots of extra presets.
If you have a wish list with song titles/albums I can try to make presets come close.
That will be fun!��
Yes, that would be fun, great offer!

I have to say, I know best and most detailed McCartney sound because I've played all these songs (as 20 million ohter musicians, I guess). Beatles/McCartney had different sounds in different recordings, although we excluded Hoffner, Fender and Burns he also used, therefore I have several Macca sounds preset suggestions, I've tried find typical Macca Rick sound in each era:

My list (some other people can do their ow lists) would look something like this:

SCARBEE RICK ARTIS PRESETS (suggestion)

1. Squire

2. Ruhterford

3. McCartney

Rubber Soul
3a. Nowhere Man
b. Think For Yourself (fuzz bass)

Revolver
c. Taxman
d. I'm Only Sleeping

Papterpack Writer (not sure if the Hofner was used here) and Rain

Pepper
e. Lucy
f. Good Morning
g. Fixing A Hole (Rick? sounds almost like an uppright)
h. Mr. Kite

(1967 sound was rather similar from Pepper to e.g. Hello Goodbýe and Walrus)

i. Hey Bulldog

White Album
j. Dear Prudence
k. Glass Union
l. Piggies

Abbey Road
m. Come Together
n. Something

Mr.Scarbee wrote:
Since there are 12 individual upstrokes with 4-6 round robins pr zone you get 10-12 round robins or zone if you alternate up down on same velocity ( ex. 120)

On MM bass you dont have round robins but need to variate the velocities so you dont play 10x vel 127!
You do have auto index/middle alternation though
Wow so that's a major improvement! Wonderful.

Roger Glover's Rickenbaker bass sound was an important ingredient, in the early deep purple sound. Also Geddy Lee used a Rick up until moving pictures.
Has anyone got this yet?

For those who care about the Rutherford sound:

Mike's Rutherford's RICK was a 4001 (with toaster pickups) and FLATWOUND strings. But, the really unique tone comes from the double neck with the very large body (Rick 12 string and Bass Combined as one body) that added a more solid sound to the bass. It is unique and just sampling a Rick 4003 can get you close if you play with the dynamics and EQ but you definitely need FLATWOUNDS for his sound (think Watcher of the Skies and listen to Squire's round wounds, don't care how much treble you add on the amp, Mike's flatwounds will never sound like Squire's bass and visa versa).

Just helping those you want to recreate Mike's bass sound. But for what it is worth and I don't want to hijack this thread, Mr. Scarbee's RICK is quite an amazing sample library. I really like the idea of how you can control string and fret position with Key Swithces and really like the fretboard interface so you can see what your MIDI is doing. Very NICE job and the bass sounds GREAT. And looks like you can do quite a convincing job of a BASS part playing a piano keyboard. Very nice.

Jim

PS - Mike didn't use RICKOSOUND for his dual sounds, rather he DI'ed and amped his bass parts. The DI went in without effects (and was EQ'ed at the desk) and the amp is where is would add the pedals (fuzz, phaser, etc) and have this mic'ed up with either a SM57 or a U87.
The keeper of the Shrine.
http://lldom.blogspot.com
The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”