E-digging!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a specific question about e-digging. ive been ripping songs off youtube with some "youtube to mp3" website. I found a couple youtube pages with decent music to sample but i'm worried about the quality of the audio. I heard that youtube is very compressed so I'm looking for an online source for interesting and free music. I've been listening to old psyche rock and prog lately. Is there some type of online internet radio that streams constant rare music at a high quality?

So you want a list of websites where you can rip an artist's hard work without having to:

a) Pay
b) Ask permission &/or
c) Give credit

?

:roll:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

And get this - he comes to forums pretty much exclusively patronized by musicians.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Panphobia wrote:And get this - he comes to forums pretty much exclusively patronized by musicians.

All musicians feel the same way about sampling!

Wow, I actually find myself hoping somebody's trolling.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

My piece of advice:
Ben H wrote: a) Pay
b) Ask permission &/or
c) Give credit

?

:roll:

@phloston,
Can you post some links to your music for me to rip/sample?
I'm a little short for ideas of my own lately.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:@phloston,
Can you post some links to your music for me to rip/sample?
I'm a little short for ideas of my own lately.
:lol:
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

Soulseek is still around, and though it's still (more or less) unknown to many people, from what I can tell, it's still dope. You can get some greeeeat old tunes out of there!

KidLib said it best when he was talking bout youtube sampling. Basically, he says it's terrible. I'm sorry but, I have to agree - 99% of the time, it's going to sound wonky (and not a cool kinda wonky ;) ) .. Do what you feel is right, but a lot of people will notice if your sound quality is just REALLY off (because you sampled youtube)..

Also, if you're scouring round the internets for some free samples, there's some at (sorry to self promote, but it's relevant, eh? :( ) Bassadelic dot com.. Though there's some that are for pay, there are definitely a good share that are free. Check it out if you still have a hard time.

Thought I'd put in mine, and I hope it helps. Happy mixin!!
:D
check out tutorials, sample packs, and music articles in the world of electronic and bass music @ Bassadelic.com!

So how do all of you music-sampling-haters feel about, oh I don't know... pretty much the last 20-30 years of electronic music? Seems to me pretty much 90% of artists admit to ripping samples from old records and stuff, and a lot of new vistas were opened up that way. You like DJ Shadow, Luke Vibert, Aphex Twin? Pretty much the entirety of hiphop and drum+bass... They've all sampled stuff from TV programs, records and obscure stuff that technically they don't "own the licence" for. Burial talks about sampling sound FX from video games to use as drums. Torley has a heart of gold and samples from computer games. Technically illegal :roll:

I personally have stopped sampling from random stuff, but I quite miss the fun of digging through charity shops looking for forgotten sounds, SFX, talking, string sections and exotica that I could cut up and give a new lease of life by working into something new. But nowadays all the fun seems to have gone, because the bean counters have taken over.

One thing about sampling that did piss me off. Remember in the 90's when D+B was going through it's "mutant jazz" phase, and producers were sampling jazz riffs, looping them and calling their music "mutant jazz". That was lame. And it goes without saying any kind of "rip-off" sampling is unethical, especially when it's a well-known artist stealing riffs from a lesser-known genius (and it usually is that way around) to make a quick buck. But then, you don't need a sampler to steal a melody or hook, it just makes it easier.
Last edited by Sendy on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

this ain't bad and was used in a famous production some months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgGgmOy2av4

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”