Is Scarbee Rickenbacker For Me?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

synchronizer wrote:Maybe I misinterpreted the 32x roundrobin---it might have something do do with different player positions.

As I said, I already have the MM bass. Maybe I'm not using it correctly, because hitting the same note more than 4 times sounds very artificial/machine gun-like.

I think I'm leaning towards the Scarbee Rickenbacker because I'm used to how the slides work.

However, you seem to be trying to steer me away from spending any money. Maybe that's a good thing.
right: you got a great bass (scarbee mm) which seems soundwise ideal for what you are after. better learn how to use it instead of getting another tool.

Well I do think that it would be nice to have access to a different bass sound as well. I'll think about it.

try this then:

very different, very good and free:

http://www.pettinhouse.com/DirectBass/D ... ssFREE.rar

if you like it: get the full product and make andrea happy.

The Rickenbacker (free) sounds great actually (it works for the most part now.

I love the sound. I do 80s music too so this fits very well.

EDIT:

Okay, I really do like the sound of a picked Rickenbacker (thanks to this free instrument) :) Thanks.

Direct Bass 2.0 isn't my style though. Sorry.

it has the best picked bass sound I know...

but great you like the free rickenbacker! (what do you think about how the machine gun killer script works? and did you try an ATV patch? That's actually something that I "invented". If you have a keyboard with aftertouch you can produce nice vibrato with you finger very much the same way you on a string: just perodically increase and decrease pressure). The runs script patches are also nice for slides (keep one key pressed and press another one: a slide will occur).

I don't have an aftertouch keyboard unfortunately, but your work is very impressive, certainly!

AKJ wrote:one word to round robin:
32 samples cvycling as in the OT product: what a stupidity a waste of disk space!
who is going to repeat the same note 32 times?
One of the big challenges for bass libraries is to overcome the machine gun effect when playing fast repeated notes. 32x round-robin means that you can have two measures of 16th notes without the samples repeating. And that way you don't have to worry about varying or humanizing the velocity, instead relying on the natural humanization of the round-robin. It also uses transition samples as the "glue" between repeated notes for added realism.

Of course, I also have it so you can select in the interface how many round-robin samples you want to load in memory. That way, if you only want 4x round-robin it won't take more memory than it needs. :)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Gregjazz wrote:
AKJ wrote:one word to round robin:
32 samples cvycling as in the OT product: what a stupidity a waste of disk space!
who is going to repeat the same note 32 times?
One of the big challenges for bass libraries is to overcome the machine gun effect when playing fast repeated notes. 32x round-robin means that you can have two measures of 16th notes without the samples repeating. And that way you don't have to worry about varying or humanizing the velocity, instead relying on the natural humanization of the round-robin. It also uses transition samples as the "glue" between repeated notes for added realism.

Of course, I also have it so you can select in the interface how many round-robin samples you want to load in memory. That way, if you only want 4x round-robin it won't take more memory than it needs. :)
I understand that, but at least in my compositions it does not occur and still you need to fill your hd with samples not needed. go and download the free rickenbacker which uses the machionegun killer. it imo works quite well. I would rather like to see more efforts in the direction of a mix of modeling and sampling. in the past you showed that you were thinking also in that direction...

edit: your mind control script is genious!!!!

AKJ wrote: I understand that, but at least in my compositions it does not occur and still you need to fill your hd with samples not needed.
Yeah, it does depend on the type of music you write. A lot of rock and pop basslines depend on lots of repeated notes, so I figured that I would rather go for overkill than not have enough round-robin. But don't worry, the disk space it uses is actually quite compact. ;)
AKJ wrote: I would rather like to see more efforts in the direction of a mix of modeling and sampling. in the past you showed that you were thinking also in that direction...
A lot of the modeling I do is in terms of performance and modeling the instrument. I do have some tonal modeling technology that I've been developing over the past few years--for example, the pick position control in Evolution Electric Guitar Strawberry and Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings, which uses scripting to model how the pick position affects the tone of the guitar.

But yeah, I'm on the same page in terms of mixing modeling and sampling. It's just about finding the right balance and refining the technology.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

It all sounds so great and I wish I knew how much I would have to save. Would you have a cross-grade price as well?

EDIT: I find it funny that AKJ and Greg were the only two people who responded. --probably the best two people to respond. :)

What it really comes down to is which tone and playability fits your needs and workflow the best. In that sense it's a little subjective. ;)

Not sure about price yet--still focused on making the interface, etc. for the library.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

From what I understand you focus more on scripts than you do on keyswitches. Is that correct?

Oh, and I apologize for bombarding you with so many questions. I'm a little TOO inquisitive sometimes.

I'm not a huge fan of keyswitches (at least not for live playing from a MIDI keyboard--for sequencing they're okay), but these days I leave it up to the user to choose how they want to trigger articulations. It's sort of like the Mind Control system, but built directly into the library, where you can map the articulation to a velocity range, controller range, keyswitch, etc.

That method seems to work out nicely because you need different articulation mappings depending on what type of instrument part/style you're working on.

And that way you're not forced to memorize a set-in-stone keyswitch layout or CC numbers.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

synchronizer, I think You would like The orange tree cherry bass.
The demos sound awesome, and the orange tre stuff seems real easy to use.
I think the cherry sound and performance would suit your style.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”