Re-Creating ROMpler style sounds

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was curious - given there is not so much direct ROMpler style soft synths that have a similar sound to some of the old boxes - if it would be easy to re-create those styles of sounds? If for example you want a piano in the box now - they all sound very realistic! How about if you wanted a non realistic style piano for dance music?

I guess Im curious how they made them in the old days...

I created a similar topic a while ago. Still not really clear to me though.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ht=rompler

It's amazing how developers keep making all of these synths, but we have so few choices for software romplers.
You are currently reading my signature.

yes interesting replies there...

I suppose I understand why there are few romplers like there used to be recreated in software format...because rompler technology was a means to an end - to recreate certain sounds that can now be done in more detail...

It just happens that ROMplers have a certain sound that is quite cool in some contexts.

I suppose you would need someone with some in depth knowledge of how Roland etc did it back in the day - but it makes sense to take short low rate mono samples and do a tiny loop...I suppose with good engines, filters, fx and analogue stages - thats how you get the ROMpler sound.
However I suspect that there were some clever things these companies did in studying the waveforms and maybe changing them a bit...

I suppose ProteusVX and M1 are the software ROMplers as well as Omnisphere as an up to date variant...(from a guy who did the ROMpler thing)...

THings like Sampletank and Plugsound Pro are also variants...

Just would be cool if there was a modern synth that you could design you own sounds using ROMpler style Oscillators...even cooler to have an LA Synthesis D50 plugin...
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

analoguesamples909 wrote:Just would be cool if there was a modern synth that you could design you own sounds using ROMpler style Oscillators...
but there are plenty of synths which let you use samples in the oscillators... and surely that's all you need... :shrug:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
analoguesamples909 wrote:Just would be cool if there was a modern synth that you could design you own sounds using ROMpler style Oscillators...
but there are plenty of synths which let you use samples in the oscillators... and surely that's all you need... :shrug:
yes but its also the style of the old ROMpler sound that Im curious about - which has to do - I think - with way they design/edit the sample and maybe it runs in the engine...

Also - what synth is an example - maybe Alchemy? Technically I suppose any sampler can do this.

analoguesamples909 wrote: yes but its also the style of the old ROMpler sound that Im curious about - which has to do - I think - with way they design/edit the sample and maybe it runs in the engine...
more likely the limitations of the technology
Also - what synth is an example - maybe Alchemy? Technically I suppose any sampler can do this.
alchemy yeah. and off the top of my head rhino, symptohm, dimension pro, vazmodular, wusikstation, absynth, synthmaster, cronox, ppg3 etc etc
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
analoguesamples909 wrote: yes but its also the style of the old ROMpler sound that Im curious about - which has to do - I think - with way they design/edit the sample and maybe it runs in the engine...
more likely the limitations of the technology
yes thats why they designed/editied the samples like this - because of the technology - but thats still what happened. THe result. Im interested in that. Anyways - not many others are it seems...

Soundfonts
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Soundfonts
is that what soundfonts are? I had wondered how they managed to be so damn small...

Felt exactly like that OP a while ago. Before I moved to software I used various romplers such as the Roland Fantom and Korg Triton. Often it was the fact that their attempts at realism were so imperfect that made some of the sounds quite interesting and unique.

As the previous poster said you might find what you're after with soundfonts but I personally don't use them. In terms of VSTs I'm a big fan of Korg Legacy M1, which is an emulation of what some consider the first rompler. Lots of cheesy late 80s/early 90s style pianos, organs etc

Also check out wusikstation.

Buy an old JV-880 on ebay. It, and the bigger JV 1080 that came later, were the most popular romplers of the 90's, I think. That over-bright, plinky piano sound came from these. Of course with hardware you never have to worry about what happens when you upgrade your OS or computer! I still have one in my rack for when a client wants the 90's thing.

You'll need a midi chord (and interface) for this, of course.

The JV-1080 is definitely what I would buy if I still used hardware, I just hate the workflow and decided not to buy hardware again.
You are currently reading my signature.

analoguesamples909 wrote:
It just happens that ROMplers have a certain sound that is quite cool in some contexts.

I suppose you would need someone with some in depth knowledge of how Roland etc did it back in the day
Spectrum/Eric Persing from Spectrasonics used to be ROMpler sound designer I believe. Omnisphere has a sample-thinning function that may help to emulate the sound of a Rompler library. A lot of people use the Korg MI vst as previously mentioned. It may be worth asking on Northern Sounds where they monitor that forum.

tcollins wrote:Buy an old JV-880 on ebay.
wish someone would make a software emu of that synth. it has some
gorgeous acustic sounds :love:

btw, here is a standalone JV880 editor i made a while back if you
do pick one up :)
http://home.comcast.net/~layzer/kvr/JV880.zip
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thread necro here, but does anyone have that JV-880 editor ? I just bought one this weekend and there is NO way anyone is editing sounds with the single data button. I have the Ctrlr panel for the JV-880 (JayV) but the only thing that works is the program change buttons.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”