Do you use construction kits?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Someway, I don't like them - though there are tons of them available on the Interwebz. I always think if I only would use some loops from construction kits for my songs, everyone could think "I've known it before, Tricky Loops isn't able to compose his own loops." And so I try to avoid them wherever it's possible...

What do YOU think about construction kits? Do you use loops from them? And if you do, how do you do it? Do you create something new with them?

Do you like blow up dolls or real pussy?

The choice is a simple one.

OzWozEre wrote:Do you like blow up dolls or real pussy?

I always use this one because it makes such a nice peep show:

I wouldn't mind a bunch of construction kids to help me build a nice studio.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

i can mangle a blow up doll in ways im not allowed to with a cat.

Timfonie wrote:I wouldn't mind a bunch of construction kids to help me build a nice studio.
Okay, there it is::wink:

Already tried to slice 'n dice a real pussy? :shock:

er, let's get back on topic folks...
loops, use them or don't..
I use drum loops, but never melodic loops.
Chop them up to make a different melody, whatever works!

Okay. Okay, back on topic. :oops:

Here are some off the cuff in-no-particular-order remarks:

Like all things it depends, but it really comes down to how much effort you put into stuff to make it your own.

Some contruction kits are like having a bunch of stems to a track that you didn't create, that's bad.

Well, not "bad" bad, just really kinda sad -- why take all the fun outta putting shit together in your track?

Sometimes a certain loop can help move things along creatively, but always try to double back and replace it with something of your own and new -- unless of course you're a Hip-Hop producer, then all bets are off.

You usually want to stay away from certain loops that have too much character, i.e. melodic loops for obvious reasons of originality.

Drums and percussive stuff is usually fine and is pretty much expected when you refer to "construction kits", but for me, unless I modify and "disguise" my use of them enough so that I don't feel like a fraud, I just won't use them.

But hey, what is a beat/snare loop anyways? Pretty simple stuff really so why not use them?

This is why I love the concept of Stylus RMX -- it looks like another "let's use some other geezer's loop" kinda deal -- but it's not like that at all.

Last but not least, you don't wanna be that guy who took a bunch of ready-made loops from his FL Studio and put out a track -- only to find he basically ripped "Faxing Berlin" by Deadmau5 -- funny story that, especially when you read all the back-and-forth about "who has the right to do what with what".

Fun times.

8)

I sequence everything I make note for note. Even if it sucks! Id much rather make my own stuff than use another persons work.

The only thing I don't mind using are one hit samples.. like drum hits.. etc

No loops for me though. I have tried it once, and at the end it didn't feel like "my music" ...
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: The only thing I don't mind using are one hit samples.. like drum hits.. etc
Same here.
The only loop i use from time to time is the Amen Break.

I suppose y'all never use presets either?

bluedad wrote:I suppose y'all never use presets either?
I don't think it's an accurate comparison. Presets are sounds, and loops are music. I don't consider it cheating to use a preset like the one on my viola. I love presets. They're a time saver.
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

I am thinking of maybe getting into sampling though, I mostly just worked with synthesizers.

Might be worth trying to recycle loops from other music. I've heard it put to good use TONS in the prodigy.
:borg:

I sample anything n everything if it's a fresh, no purist here. you gotta know the labels,sound designers, just like anything else. There's alot of royalty free stuff that works,alot that don't just like digging, it's all in the source.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”