Do you use construction kits?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robojam wrote:My daughter has plenty of legos if I want that sort of thing, so I'll stick to learning to play instruments and writing music from scratch.
get your own lego!
:x

vurt wrote:
robojam wrote:My daughter has plenty of legos if I want that sort of thing, so I'll stick to learning to play instruments and writing music from scratch.
get your own lego!
I'm bigger and stronger than her so I don't need to :razz:

I sort through them and pull the ones I want into a loop folder that's sorted by instrument/drum hit

robojam wrote:
vurt wrote:
get your own lego!
I'm bigger and stronger than her so I don't need to :razz:
does she have one of these?

me neither, but its my birthday soon. and ive been a pretty good boy this year. so we'll see...

This is the right thing for construction loopies:

Xenobt wrote:
Now I've got a Bavarian March connection for whenever that comes up! :hihi:
Bumped into a Bavarian Oompah band in Finsbury Park on New Years Eve. My g/f at the time was Austrian and she explained to me what an Oompah band was. We both took a shine to each other and ended up inviting them all back to our little tiny flat in Finsbury Park on the Stroud Green Rd. Neighbours weren't very happy. Not the whole band, but quite a few of them. Good job we had a roof terrace.

Good job they didn't have their Sousaphones and Tubas on them. Not to mention the Cymbals. Now if there's a group of instruments that should not be played together, at ANY time.

They all slept an hour or two and then toodled off to bang their drums and blow their horns. Hard b******s! Even the thought of it made me feel sick at the time. Now I just feel queasy. :-o

Should have recorded them and sliced and diced it for a DnB track. Then again someone somewhere would have complained that I wasn't keeping it 'real'.

Man.

double post. sorry!
Last edited by schnapsglas on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JoeCat wrote:
schnapsglas wrote:I make every single sound from scratch (unless stars align correctly and a preset gives me EXACTLY what I need). I wonder if people notice. Doesn't matter. I wish they did, but in the end, I do it this way because I feel it's better.

Who's that engineer who EQs each word of the vocal take differently? Forgot the name...
Would love to see that guy's house (alphabetized spice racks, shirts hung in order from light to dark...). I think for a lot of commercial production "hand tools" are the norm again. I experimented recently for the first time with hand-drawing the gain automation on a vocal line rather than relying solely on a compressor - was time consuming but worth it. But it's one thing if you're working full-time on a pop album, another if you are trying to bang out an EDM track every week.
OTT, but:

I remember reading that. It's either Pensado, Maserati or Shipley. Don't remember. Maserati said something similar here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb12/a ... uction.htm , but Shipley I think said something like how he is prepared to automate EQ for every word or something.
Last edited by schnapsglas on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

schnapsglas wrote:
JoeCat wrote:
schnapsglas wrote:I make every single sound from scratch (unless stars align correctly and a preset gives me EXACTLY what I need). I wonder if people notice. Doesn't matter. I wish they did, but in the end, I do it this way because I feel it's better.

Who's that engineer who EQs each word of the vocal take differently? Forgot the name...
Would love to see that guy's house (alphabetized spice racks, shirts hung in order from light to dark...). I think for a lot of commercial production "hand tools" are the norm again. I experimented recently for the first time with hand-drawing the gain automation on a vocal line rather than relying solely on a compressor - was time consuming but worth it. But it's one thing if you're working full-time on a pop album, another if you are trying to bang out an EDM track every week.
OTT, but:

I remember reading that. It's either Pensando, Maserati or Shipley. Don't remember. Maserati said something similar here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb12/a ... uction.htm , but Shipley I think said something like how he is prepared to automate EQ for every word or something.
mybe get MAutoVolume: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/mautovo ... production

it does the work for you

vurt wrote:does she have one of these?

me neither, but its my birthday soon. and ive been a pretty good boy this year. so we'll see...
Mostly Hello Kitty Lego, but when she grows out of it I can send it to you.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:Still not sure what a construction kit is though
Just to clarify, as a "construction kit" I've meant a "song construction kit", i. e. you get the single stems (drums, synth, guitar, piano, organ etc.) in one folder and create a complete song with them.

BDF Eco and all that stuff aren't a construction kit, at least not in my understanding.
No, I didn't think BFD was, I was responding to the broader replies which mentioned stuff relative to my answer when I was talking about BFD.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. I've never really used those type of things. So that stuff is like eJay and all that? Oh no, I'm above all that!

:lol:

Actually, for a laugh, and when times were better and we were on a musical roll, at my mate's studio in Crouch End, we decided one day to make a track 'entirely' out of Apple Loops that came with his Logic and Mac Book Pro. Are they considered construction kits as well?

Anyway, musical morals aside, we had a lot of fun and knocked up a track in about 3 hours maybe 4. I think one of the rules as well was, we weren't allowed to chop the loop up, you could split it for sections in the arrangement of course, but no phatmatik pro/slicex silliness. Sounded great and we got an idea of the quality of the included loops, what was where etc. and no animals were harmed in that production.

If someone wanted to make music that way and was open about it - not bragging, but not ashamed of it either, then I would be open to listening to it and respecting the 'producer' of that track, IF I liked the music they had done.

As for the 'stems' explanation about construction kits, if it was a singer/songwriter capable of writing decent songs, but not capable of getting a band together (people like me, say), I don't think it would even be an issue and I wouldn't judge them on that at all. In fact, if I thought the songs were THAT good, and I liked the person, I'd probably offer to produce it for them properly, for free. Probably why I'm still poor.

codec_spurt wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:Still not sure what a construction kit is though
Just to clarify, as a "construction kit" I've meant a "song construction kit", i. e. you get the single stems (drums, synth, guitar, piano, organ etc.) in one folder and create a complete song with them.

BDF Eco and all that stuff aren't a construction kit, at least not in my understanding.
No, I didn't think BFD was, I was responding to the broader replies which mentioned stuff relative to my answer when I was talking about BFD.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. I've never really used those type of things. So that stuff is like eJay and all that? Oh no, I'm above all that!

Actually, for a laugh, and when times were better and we were on a musical roll, at my mate's studio in Crouch End, we decided one day to make a track 'entirely' out of Apple Loops that came with his Logic and Mac Book Pro. Are they considered construction kits as well?

Anyway, musical morals aside, we had a lot of fun and knocked up a track in about 3 hours maybe 4. I think one of the rules as well was, we weren't allowed to chop the loop up, you could split it for sections in the arrangement of course, but no phatmatik pro/slicex silliness. Sounded great and we got an idea of the quality of the included loops, what was where etc. and no animals were harmed in that production.

If someone wanted to make music that way and was open about it - not bragging, but not ashamed of it either, then I would be open to listening to it and respecting the 'producer' of that track, IF I liked the music they had done.

As for the 'stems' explanation about construction kits, if it was a singer/songwriter capable of writing decent songs, but not capable of getting a band together (people like me, say), I don't think it would even be an issue and I wouldn't judge them on that at all. In fact, if I thought the songs were THAT good, and I liked the person, I'd probably offer to produce it for them properly, for free. Probably why I'm still poor.

You're right. I remember once making an entire DnB track from loops that came with Studio One. It was for laughs, and I deleted it very quickly, but now that EDM (uhh, how much I hate that word) releases are dime a dozen, it is hard to go far with something that has been already made for you. Not that it will matter in the end, but still. Not satisfying, leaves bad taste in your mouth.

I have produced things like that for free, even if they were not good. Because I couldn't stand them ruining what they had written. I guess that's why I'm still poor :lol:

For my band demos, I do play every instrument, and yes, a miraculous wonder called a sequencer paired up with BFD. I don't play drums.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

I sometimes use elements from construction kits, like a bass note or a percussion loop (which I'll usually change so it fits with what I need). When I do that, I always regret that I don't have access to a more raw version of the sound, but just some overprocessed constuction kit version. I want to take compression and reverb off, but of course it's impossible :(

robojam wrote:
vurt wrote:does she have one of these?

Mostly Hello Kitty Lego, but when she grows out of it I can send it to you.
:hihi:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”