Simple ways to make a Kontakt instrument user interface?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to create simple Kontakt instruments with volume ADSR knobs, knobs for filter cutoff and resonance as well as filter ADSR knobs. Do I have to learn how to script in order to do that? Or is there a script that I can just load in order to have those types of controls? I know how to load scripts, I just don't know how to make their controls appear on the interface! (I'm a Kontakt newbie)

To show the interface without being in edit mode you should include make_perfview in the init callback.
Take a look at the KSP Reference Manual (Help -> Open Manual) if you want to learn KSP.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

I wish there was a simple way to connect an effect parameter to a knob on the instrument interface. I don't understand why they decided to make it so complicated! I'm not a C++ programmer, I just want to make a simple instrument in Kontakt with a ADSR envelop controls and filter cut and resonance knobs! :cry:

Are there any per-made templates or code fragments we can use? I can program in lesser languages, but c++ has eluded me.

I, too, wish there was a more visual approach to Kontakt. It's the only thing really holding me back from creating Kontakt instruments with interfaces for my products.

Mike

Hm. Actually it's not so very difficult to build a basic interface with basic knobs even if you're completely new to Kontakt scripting. I must admit that I thought it was, too, but that was before I actually had a go at it a few weeks ago.
If you have a look at this: http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/native-i ... akt-part-1
and this: http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/scripts/tutorial/
and make use of the KSP reference manual and the regular Kontakt manual from time to time, I think you can be ready to build a simple interface in less than a day.

It's not really that hard. Things you need to know:

* make_perfview
* declare UI controls (declare ui_knob $name (0,1000000,1)...)
* make_persistent($nameofcontrol)
* engine parameters (check KSP reference)
* set/get_engine_par (check KSP reference)

... and - silly I forgot to mention it - for a more visual approach you can generate a simple (and even a not so simple) Kontakt GUI here: http://www.musikbits.com/generator.php

Thanks for the replies, it really helps, as I'm a newbie regarding Kontakt scripting.

I was testing Kontakt instruments (mostly freebies gathered from the internet) yesterday, and the more "script heavy" instruments really took a lot of cpu. For ADSRs I see the point, but for basic effects it seems a bit useless. I mean, if you want to ad a reverb, you can already ad one in the FX rack... Since I want to make simple playable instruments, I'm not even sure it's worth learning scripting. In fact, the only reason why I want to make scripts is because I feel people expect scripts when they buy commercial Kontakt instruments, otherwise it might look "cheap". What do you think? For my own use, I prefer lightweight instruments because I can actually compose a full song without all the clipping you ear when the cpu is running at his maximum capacity. It just much more practical.

That really depends on the Instrument you plan on creating.

But there should at last be a little image banner of the instrument-library, so the eye has something to look at while browsing the different patches when opened in kontakt.
Follow me on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/ma-simon
"In the begining there was nothing, and it exploded." ~Terry Pratchett, (on the big bang theory)~

SampleScience wrote:but for basic effects it seems a bit useless. I mean, if you want to ad a reverb, you can already ad one in the FX rack...
And that is exactly what you are going to do even using KSP. You will just control the reverb parameters via KSP. In my experience heavy scripts (3+ pages full of controls with heavy PNGs and lots of stuff in the init callback) just hang the instrument at the loading screen. After that, even changing presets is smooth.

The real problem is if you use animations in the GUI with an old computer, but I don't think that this will be your case.

Anyway, if you are afraid of looking "cheap" then why don't you invest in someone who can do the job for you?

Well, I make sound libraries that will be useful for me first, and when it's done I consider a commercial release in case the tool I created for me might be useful for someone else. I may also release it for free, for the benefit of the community. I can't believe everyone is running their DAW on the latest and the greatest computers. I guess there's some people out there who have a simpler, more light weight setups. :)

SampleScience wrote:I can't believe everyone is running their DAW on the latest and the greatest computers.
And who said that?

You may not need a GUI, but your customers?

Making a commercial sample library require A LOT of work and knowledge. Most of the time there are several guys involved into it, from sound design to graphical design. If you want to release a commercial sample library with a GUI and don't want to spend time into learning KSP, the only option I see is to hire someone to do the work for you. Otherwise do it without GUI or release in another format where no GUI is not equal to cheap (SFZ, EXS24?).

Except for the musikbits generator already linked, your first question in OP may sound like this: "Do I have to learn how to do that in order to do that?"

You're right. I know that the Goldbaby free Kontakt instruments are GUI-less. I may just offer it as a practical options like him.

Here's how it looks for a simple synthetic string instrument:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92540272@N ... otostream/

The question for me is: is it worth investing the time in learning how to make script in Kontakt only for commercial reasons? (as I don't really see the use for my personal music productions). Still thinking...

As a frequent consumer of low-cost Kontakt libraries, I commend your desire to keep resource usage low and UIs simple. I, for one, am not impressed by fancy GUIs. Some of my most useless libraries have beautiful front ends, while many of my most-used libraries have plain generic UIs. For me it's all about the sound, period.

SampleScience wrote:The question for me is: is it worth investing the time in learning how to make script in Kontakt only for commercial reasons? (as I don't really see the use for my personal music productions). Still thinking...
It is worth only if you'll need it. Hopefully your customers will be interested in sounds only, and not fancy GUIs. I think that everything depends on what is your target.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”