Simple ways to make a Kontakt instrument user interface?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Even without scripting, convolution reverb is going to kill your CPU. Try disabling it on Hollow Sun instruments and you will see they are going to be a lot more manageable on your computer.

But seriously, even if you said it's 1 year old, it's more like it's 10 years old. It has a terrible lack of processing power.

SampleScience wrote:In the end I decided to avoid Kontakt scripting, not because of laziness, but simply because my computer isn't powerful enough to run Kontakt instruments with flashy panels and knobs on the front.
To read page 9 of KONTAKT KSP Reference Manual maybe you will change your mind. The power and originality are reflected, I think . :wink:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.7.2 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

The simple way would be making midi cc knobs, like it has been done many times in K2 times. Then you 'midi learn' what you need to control, turn the GUI knob and you're done. There is factory script '6 midi controllers' that you could use or modify, or to simplify things, here's a 'single midi knob script for dummies'. Bare minimum.

Code: Select all

{initialization block, here's what is being executed when loading the patch}
on init

{make controls visible}
	make_perfview

{make a knob and set value range 0-127}
	declare ui_knob $knob (0,127,1)

{define CC number to assign to a knob, let's make it 20}
	declare const $CCmessage := 20

{position the knob}
	move_control ($knob,1,1)

{save knob value when saving the patch}
	make_persistent ($knob)

end on
{end of initialization block}

{now make the knob work, define what to do when user is fiddling with the knob}
on ui_control ($knob)

{maybe someone will explain what is this condition for}
	if ($CCmessage # -1)

{send knob value to defined CC}
		set_controller ($CCmessage, $knob)
	end if
end on
{end of this knob functionality}
When you take out the comments, it's not that much to write. You could clone more knobs out of this by control/paste and changing names ($CCmessage, $knob).

I have to agree, the way making these GUIs in Kontakt is ridiculous. It gives you a lot of space for creative stuff, but if you just want to pull up some knobs, it is quite absurd.

MA-Simon wrote:That really depends on the Instrument you plan on creating.

But there should at last be a little image banner of the instrument-library, so the eye has something to look at while browsing the different patches when opened in kontakt.
Why not look at the patch names you're browsing instead? :dog:

I think there's a point with scripting when the instrument starts to play you instead of you playing the instrument.
"Always outnumbered, never outgunned"
'There are some sissies who paint their face and listen emo-metal'

Zombie Queen wrote:The simple way would be making midi cc knobs, like it has been done many times in K2 times. Then you 'midi learn' what you need to control, turn the GUI knob and you're done. There is factory script '6 midi controllers' that you could use or modify, or to simplify things, here's a 'single midi knob script for dummies'. Bare minimum.

Code: Select all

{initialization block, here's what is being executed when loading the patch}
on init

{make controls visible}
	make_perfview

{make a knob and set value range 0-127}
	declare ui_knob $knob (0,127,1)

{define CC number to assign to a knob, let's make it 20}
	declare const $CCmessage := 20

{position the knob}
	move_control ($knob,1,1)

{save knob value when saving the patch}
	make_persistent ($knob)

end on
{end of initialization block}

{now make the knob work, define what to do when user is fiddling with the knob}
on ui_control ($knob)

{maybe someone will explain what is this condition for}
	if ($CCmessage # -1)

{send knob value to defined CC}
		set_controller ($CCmessage, $knob)
	end if
end on
{end of this knob functionality}
When you take out the comments, it's not that much to write. You could clone more knobs out of this by control/paste and changing names ($CCmessage, $knob).

I have to agree, the way making these GUIs in Kontakt is ridiculous. It gives you a lot of space for creative stuff, but if you just want to pull up some knobs, it is quite absurd.
Thanks for the help! I'm back at Kontakt scripting and it's a big learning curve, but hopefully it'll be worthwhile. I'm learning from the bit of script you're giving me, I'm really at the beginning, so it helps me a lot. From looking at other peoples scripts, it seems that even very simple script are long and "complex".

The first things I'd like to be able to learn is how to assign controls to knobs, how to assign a custom graphic to a control (a knob made with knobman for instance) & how to arrange the basic parameters of the UI (width, height, how to place knobs on the UI). Shouldn't be too hard for today. :)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”