FREE: Alexis D-Four ... 90s drum sounds

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:cant find the SR16 ones, but i have the DR660 samples (20 kits, 320 wav files i think 16/44 mono) zipped its 17meg...
Sure, send me a PM with the download link and I'll have a go. :)
Kriminal wrote:i would like to be able to trigger all samples on same MIDI channel and program in the piano roll with all sounds available. That way you only have to load one instance.
Unfortunately not, because I couldn't possibly program 500 drum sounds in one application window, so I would still have to split them into sub-packs... just to not lose track of what I'm doing.

And the result would be that one instance of the plugin could still only load and play one sub-pack of instruments, not the others at the same time, and you'd have to compromise and spread everything across multiple tracks anyway. :shrug:

Also, show me how to split 500 sounds across 88 keys? :P

I agree that it would be really really nice if I could put something as complex as Superior Drummer together, that can load and play all at once and switch single instruments individually. "Create your own sets in one instance" ... but it's technically just not possible for me at the moment.

So it'll have to stay the free amateur thing it is for now, and I'll just have to bring it along as far as I can.

The way I'm currently re-arranging it will still require you to load several instances onto several tracks, but you can then at least create a single MIDI track containing all of the kick/snare/tom/etc. notes and program away similar to General MIDI and other drum samplers.
You will just have to "send" that single MIDI track to all the plugin instances, they'll sort out the rest.

That should be the best working compromise possible to me right now.
After all, it's a free "work of love" thing and not a commercial product, so... ;)
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Sorry, didnt realise it was so many sounds... :wink:

chokehold wrote:
tropicalontour wrote:Is there a way to put the .DLL on my C-drive and the samples on a different drive?
As I mentioned above, I use a 3rd party sampling system so my plugins are limited by what it can and can not do. I'll have to check with the dev if something like that is possible already or can be implemented relatively easily.

Of course, I agree totally with you that it would be way more elegant to have the samples on another drive, I have a dedicated sample drive myself.

But if you can't put 1.7GB on your system drive every once in a while, you might be doing something wrong. ;)
Oh I have the space, but every time I make this exception, I have less :)

Be good if your sample library was the only one, wouldn't it? Sadly, that's not the case. I still might put it on my C-Drive and if it earns it's place and space, it'll stay ;)
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

tropicalontour wrote:Oh I have the space, but every time I make this exception, I have less :)
Be good if your sample library was the only one, wouldn't it? Sadly, that's not the case. I still might put it on my C-Drive and if it earns it's place and space, it'll stay ;)
I know that problem, believe me.
Having a 128GB system drive is possible... but it comes at the cost of constant free-space-ophobia. :lol:

Having the samples in the plugin or the plugin folder doesn't matter much with things like my little Tiny Metal Impact which only contains a few MB of samples, but I totally agree about "outsourcing" larger libraries to external locations.

I am already in contact with the sampler's dev about this matter, if loading external libraries is or will be possible then I will definitely implement it. :)
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:
tropicalontour wrote:Oh I have the space, but every time I make this exception, I have less :)
I know that problem, believe me.
Having a 128GB system drive is possible... but it comes at the cost of constant free-space-ophobia. :lol:

Having the samples in the plugin or the plugin folder doesn't matter much with things like my little Tiny Metal Impact which only contains a few MB of samples, but I totally agree about "outsourcing" larger libraries to external locations.

I am already in contact with the sampler's dev about this matter, if loading external libraries is or will be possible then I will definitely implement it. :)
You're a good man! :)
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

This is just a shortened revision of and amendment to the original post, so please look into that as well: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 41#5383341

Download links removed from site as Alesis officially do not want my samples circulating.
http://free.chokehold.net/alexis-dfour/

Demo track here:
http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/alexis-d-four-demo

What it is:

A sampled 90s drum module with a huge 1.16GB sound library.
500 drum sounds, 3000 samples, 1 custom patch.

Plugin player for Win or Mac, VSTi or AUi, x86 or x64.

Anything more?

I'm a Reaper user, so I have uploaded a text file that contains all the note numbers and names. Load it into Reaper's MIDI editor so you don't just see a keyboard but you can read what you're doing.

--> If any of you feel like contributing, I think "the masses" would approve of such mapping aids for other DAWs, should they support something like that. So if you have the time - put a mapping together and send it to me, so I can upload it with the rest.
Maybe your way of saying "thank you"? ;)

How is it used?

The plugin is now an assumed 99% General MIDI compatible, so Kicks only trigger with C1, Snares only trigger with D1 etc. To avoid too much confusion, each patch has been renamed with its triggering MIDI note and number at the back.

Create one MIDI track into which you program the drumkit.
For every sound you want, you'll have to load a new instance of this plugin.

So if you want to trigger a Kick, a Snare and a Crash you create 3 independent tracks, insert the AD4 and select the appropriate sound in each one.

Now just send the MIDI to the tracks with AD4 on - done.
You can send the entire MIDI, no need for filtering. Sending a row of C1 Kick triggers to a plugin instance with a D2 Snare loaded will do absolutely nothing.

Unfortunately it is not yet possible to "stack" several instances one after another onto the same track, because the audio gets "swallowed and replaced" with each consecutive instance, if you know what I mean.

See it like this - it's like routing a lot of single tracks out of one plugin into your host, like multichanneling Superior Drummer etc.

The plugin uses Disk Streaming to load the samples, so the memory footprint should be relatively modest even with several instances loaded.

About the sound:

Listen to the demo track and have a look at the diagram on the download page, I hope that will explain what's going on inside this box.

To younger ears used to ultra-clean and sterile digital samples, this might sound a little grungy and fuzzy, it does to me as well. But it's not a harsh fuzz, it's actually a very pleasant and slight fuzz, and may just be what's missing in oh so many modern productions. :)

And now - enjoy!

Be creative and be sure to link your works with the Alexis here, I love to know what good comes out of my hard work. :)

Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers
Rob
Last edited by chokehold on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

thankyou chokehold

danke alter schwede :)
gut gemacht

Is it possible to get these samples in a more open format so I can load them into Kontakt?

Not being able to use my own envelopes and not being able to have more than one sound per sampler is frustrating.

I have already started working on a Kontakt version, but I've no idea how long that will take to finish.

Cool - thanks for this!

Uh, this looks nice, thanks!

Could you add a 'react to any note' option?

I can see myself using it in Maschine, one plug-in per Sound. However, each sound by default sends the same root note. So having your module react to anything coming in would make setup quicker than adjusting each Sound's root note...

Cheers!
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

That's sort-of the way I had it in the beginning. Every sound could be triggered with C1, but that proved rather useless because there was no practical way to use it. So I switched it to a rather General MIDI -ish setup, much more practical to use.

I think I still have the 1st generation "all triggered by C1" plugins online (hidden of course ;) ) so if you really want it - let me know.

Thanks, I think that doesn't make a difference, since Maschine defaults to C3.

And it's not a big deal anyways. I'll just create a template project. As soon as I shake off the flu.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Hey, do you know which sounds correspond to the D4's factory drum kits? I haven't been able to find a listing online, and since I don't own a D4 I can't exactly find it all that easily. I'm using Reaper and I was thinking that I could load 12-16 instances of Alexis D4 into a single FX chain, and then save the FX chain as a kit.

As as far as the kit list goes, I really can't help you.
It wasn't my D4 but my drummer's, I don't have it or the manual any more.
I do have the manual as a .PDF and a set of 4 scans that show the number assignments of each single drum sound, but nothing anywhere about the kits.
Would be hard to do anyway, I think, because IIRC the factory kits involved mixing the sounds not only with gain and pan settings, but also some Reverbs like Room, Hall, etc.

As far as saving kits goes:

Unfortunately at the moment you can't do that, because if you "stack" the plugin each instance will "swallow" the sound of the one before it and you will only hear the sound of the last one in the row.

I also use Reaper, and there's a sort of workaround for this:

1) Create one track that will later become the folder/bus for the kit.
2) Then create one track each for every instance of AD4 you want to use in the kit and move them all into the folder track.
3)insert AD4 on each of those tracks and select the sounds you want the AD4 instances to have as part of the kit.
4) Create MIDI sends from the parent folder track to each of the contained child tracks. In the little send properties dialog, just see that the audio send (lower left) is set to "none" rather than "1/2 -> 1/2". It needs to really just send all incoming MIDI to its sub tracks.
5) Select all of those tracks, folder & children, right-click and select "Save Tracks as Track Template...".

This track template will then form your "kit", and when you want to insert the "kit" just right-click somewhere in the free area of the TCP or MCP, go to "Insert Track from Template" and select the "kit" you want to insert.

To trigger the sounds, all you need to do is send the MIDI to the parent folder track, it will then send it on to the single instances of AD4.

Like this, you haven't only got your kit easily insertable and easily triggerable, but with the folder track you also have a sub group bus for it right there when you insert it.

I am currently in contact with the dev of the sampler I use, I hope he'll implement an audio pass-through so that "stacking" instances will be possible.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”