StudioWeapon release "UNDERSCORE" for Kontakt 5

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Underscore

I would never have paid €250 for this instrument.

I think €50 would have been a fair price, so at €20 it is quite a bargain.

The lib is quite light on the CPU, patches load quickly, don't use a lot of CPU, controls are clearly laid out, and offer lots of possibilities to shape and meld the sounds.

aMUSEd wrote:
MacQ wrote:
Cri wrote:Also I think that OP should read KVR signature guidelines
Ah yes ... I didn't see that. I've amended my signature to fall in line with those guidelines. And while doing it realized I've been posting here for 13 years. How time flies ...
It's 2015 already? I must have slept longer than I thought :)
Wow deja deja!

aMUSEd wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
MacQ wrote:
Cri wrote:Also I think that OP should read KVR signature guidelines
Ah yes ... I didn't see that. I've amended my signature to fall in line with those guidelines. And while doing it realized I've been posting here for 13 years. How time flies ...
It's 2015 already? I must have slept longer than I thought :)
Wow deja deja!
:lol:

Ok, I know that it does the rhythmic thing very well... but are there any nice pads and soundscapes?

Timman wrote:From $ 1000 to €20, very interesting marketing practice :) Anyway, for that price it's definitely worth it.
Create buzz by talking it up and throwing on a huge price, lower price to see if anyone bites, wait a bit and drop it to $20. Profit because everyone thinks they are getting the greatest deal ever. :P I can guarantee since it went up for $20 he's already made more money from it than he did when it was both $1000 and $250.

I'm still waiting to see what people think about it and for some videos before I decide to jump. The audio demos were underwhelming and I have a feeling I'd be paying for something that just takes up hard drive space. We'll see.

The more time I spend with this, the more I like it :)

But I do love seq/arp stuff though, so it is right up my street

:neutral:

This thing sucks, I bought it and .. I think i want my money back. I probably won't get it back, but still.. i can get so much better using Zebra2 and the Kontakt5 library. Also what's up with the CPU usage on these patches??
Last edited by V0RT3X on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:borg:

With polite objection I completely disagree. This doesn't suck. You have to load the patterns and modulators and experiment with the settings. The scripting in this engine is exceptional. THe library isn't outstanding but just tinkering with one patch and experimenting even at the surface levels tells me that this is a very deep and useful product.I can't wait to start loading my own samples and getting under the hood with it. I am impressed. I think typically the new user puts in some initial time and they don't get a quick buzz. I know I didn't. When you get even a little bit below the surface level and work with it, it gets very inspirational. I am not into underscoring (admittedly a new term for me) but for rhythmic textures and pads that evolve I have a lot application for it. If the developer had released a couple of template files with multiple instances loaded and showed how to load the different layers and patterns (Cubase templates for example) I think it would have sold itself very quickly. THe creator is a little in love with his gadget and which is off-putting when you watch the videos as self-admiration is more than evident but he has reason to be excited about it. This is not junk... far from it and a steal at $20.00. Forget about the pricing fiasco, it is irrelevant. It is a good tool at a great price. YMMV - Scotty

V0RT3X wrote:This thing sucks, I bought it and .. I think i want my money back. I probably won't get it back, but still.. i can get so much better using Zebra2 and the Kontakt5 library. Also what's up with the CPU usage on these patches??

By Request: Underscore First Look Playthrough (video) by dbodin

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2#p6176532
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Scotty wrote:With polite objection I completely disagree. This doesn't suck. You have to load the patterns and modulators and experiment with the settings. The scripting in this engine is exceptional. THe library isn't outstanding but just tinkering with one patch and experimenting even at the surface levels tells me that this is a very deep and useful product.I can't wait to start loading my own samples and getting under the hood with it. I am impressed. I think typically the new user puts in some initial time and they don't get a quick buzz. I know I didn't. When you get even a little bit below the surface level and work with it, it gets very inspirational. I am not into underscoring (admittedly a new term for me) but for rhythmic textures and pads that evolve I have a lot application for it. If the developer had released a couple of template files with multiple instances loaded and showed how to load the different layers and patterns (Cubase templates for example) I think it would have sold itself very quickly. THe creator is a little in love with his gadget and which is off-putting when you watch the videos as self-admiration is more than evident but he has reason to be excited about it. This is not junk... far from it and a steal at $20.00. Forget about the pricing fiasco, it is irrelevant. It is a good tool at a great price. YMMV - Scotty
Fair enough, maybe i just need to play around with this more. I guess I'm basing this all on the content of the samples themselves and not the actual programming of the scripts. I'll give it a bit more time, maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised as i load my own stuff into it.
:borg:

It's funny how our psychology can devalue things for being 'too cheap' :D

I have to say I'm either just too dense to understand this (likely) or the information on how it operates just isn't there. Bought today, no manual with it and I've been struggling ever since. I've watched all the Vimeo official videos & the overview one and that's a lot to take in but....

The one Q that has been posed by many but not yet answered: How do you load your OWN samples & assign to one of the layers etc? That would be a start.

I really think the sequencing/modulation capabilities of Underscore could be very useful, but please Mr Developer, we really need some better instructions or better still Tutorials. This is not an intuitive GUI at all. I'm all for twiddling stuff but it's the basics that are urgently needed.

Current level: frustrated I can't do what I want with it... :help:

Oh and hi all, sorry my 1st ever KVR post was whinge! :)

1. Open instrument edit mode.
2. Open Group Editor.
3. Select a group.
4. Open Mapping Editor and make sure "Selected groups only" is enabled.
5. Drop your samples in.

Always works. :)

Got it! Thanks indeed :) I'll give that a go. Now I just need to know what everything else inside Underscore does... :)

Actually, just saw a hint that there may be a v1.5 manual soon? Hope we can get a link to that asap.

Hey all, Stu has released two new videos which show the sound design capabilities of Undescore and how to import your own samples:

www.vimeo.com/132982181

www.vimeo.com/132985572
http://www.VSTBuzz.com - Up to 99% off one sample library or plugin every single week!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”