drum machine/music box automaton for Kontakt 4

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most definitely. I wanted to see how it would work, to make it create melodies. First I had to gather some C sounds, I don't really know how to successfully detect sample pitch in Kontakt, so for controlling a melody there is need for some common ground. The 'harmonizing' routine is very simple, it assumes that all samples are C. I had a good look at Kontakt's factory library and picked those samples, which had C in the file name, in a way suggesting it is relevant to sample's tune. I gathered 100 acoustic samples in C and made a bank from those. It's a start.
Both example fragments use 'algorithmic mode' (back panel), which calculates the changes according to pre-generated number string and transport position, so the outcome is repeatable and loopable, and use 'scale enforcer' from new panel, to limit the output to notes from a scale, assuming the base pitch is C. It needs you to set 'pitch' knobs on sequencer to anything more than zero, it's a sort of pitch change amplitude limiter, if it's zero it will just play C.
For fragment #24 I programmed a 4-pad sequence manually, set random pitch for each pad, so automaton can pick it's own melody and saved it as a preset. On the back panel there is 'cycle' knob, it loops the event changes, if the pattern stays the same, the melody will repeat every x bars, I think I set it 16 in this case. Then I made automation envelope for 'chaos' and 'disorder' knobs. I let it play for 12 bars and then engage the randomization knobs. So this example starts from a programmed sequence, then automaton picks melody and instrument/pattern changes by it's own.
In fragment #21 I generated a random pattern with 'randomize all' button, saved it as a preset, I made two variants of this pattern by turning off some pads or changing a sound for one of them, saved them too. Set the cycle loop to 12 bars. Now I programmed loading those presets at some points, made wacky envelopes in host and again, assigned them to chaos/disorder knobs. And I let it play...

Thanks, that is incredibly helpful. You've made a fantastic instrument.

woggle wrote:Thanks, that is incredibly helpful. You've made a fantastic instrument.
+1 :clap:

I've just read the manual and played a little bit with the library: almost infinite possibilities. :o

For anyone who's possibly following this, I updated the WIP version. This time with numerous minor tweaks and some presets. Next I will be checking and tuning all 'tonal' samples to work with music box mode and adding third bank, with only 'tonal' sounds. Then I'll try to implement meta-sequencer, which would load presets automatically according to programmed sequence.

Had a play with the latest beta and I think your on the right track. I think a meta seq that allowed you to seq the memory module locations might bring a semblance of order to the chaos.
Thanks for the Key mode and Position functions, wish all kontakt instruments had them for key switches. Thanks for the manual. It was very helpful. I like that you feel good about using terms like Chaos,Disorder,Confusion and Psycho.

So here are some of my thoughts. Not sure it needs a melody/ music box, but if it was there, a constrain to scale feature would be nice.
The slide and lag functions are good but I have not been able to get PD(psyhcodrumma) to groove? Tried it with several other beat boxes I could never quite get it in the pocket.
Each drum track/sequence has controls for three separate sections, sample select, sample playback and sequence. Anyone of them alone is pretty powerful in the grand scheme. I was wondering if being able to select which ones are included in the randomization process is/would be possible.

Also I'd be interested in more info on putting together a sample map/bank. Would you have to fill a hundred locations? Would your samples need to be renamed to be able to be used with your banks?

Thanks for your time and efforts.

MRT wrote:Not sure it needs a melody/ music box, but if it was there, a constrain to scale feature would be nice.
Yes, I'm not sure it needs this, but in the other hand, I'm not sure there's a need for the whole thing altogether. I wanted to try this for sake of experiment. Constrain to scale is already there and it works, but it needs samples to be tuned to C, so it currently does not work with provided samples. I'm now working on re-building sample pool to match this requirement.
MRT wrote:I was wondering if being able to select which ones are included in the randomization process is/would be possible.
I didn't think of this. It would be easy to implement, I would just need to figure out where to fit the switches. Front panel is cluttered to the max already, maybe on the back panel, 9 more switches next to randomization knobs. That would look fairly confusing. I'll give it a try.
MRT wrote:Also I'd be interested in more info on putting together a sample map/bank. Would you have to fill a hundred locations? Would your samples need to be renamed to be able to be used with your banks?
Easy way would be to rename files and replace all hundred files in sample catalog. Just throw in a bunch of samples, Kontakt will load them, if the name matches. If you don't fill some locations, Kontakt will report missing samples and some settings will produce no sound. Or go to Kontakt's mapping editor, delete existing mapping and place the samples manually, just make sure the same key range is covered, or some settings will produce no sound. Then "copy zones" and paste them into remaining 17 groups.

Zombie Qeen wrote:Constrain to scale is already there and it works
You are correct and I am a dumbass for not seeing the patterns as scales. :oops:

I redesigned sample banks and made separate bank to use in music box mode, so now it plays robo-muzak out of the box.
It was excellent idea to make it possible to bypass randomization of pads, thank you MRT, it's a load of fun for me.
Making 100 tone sounds of of the blue took me a while, I started to get out of ideas and resorted to bicycle horn and some old processor radiators... This is likely the last test version, I'm not sure yet, how am I gonna to release this, so grab it while you can (download link is at the bottom of test page, 30MB). To do: preset sequencer, maybe saving preset bank to file, if possible.

postcard from chaos management test ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV3Qz9gRS_g

I made a routine to save/load preset bank to file. I wonder, if it works in Kontakt 5 too, or on Mac. If anyone have a while and would consider it fun to test, reply or leave me a pm.

Way cool an an automated effects rack. Did not see that coming. I had a play with the latest beta, but haven't looked at the manual yet. After the memory slots were added it seemed like the next step would be a slot/duration sequencer. While you could do this with the key switches live or in your DAW, it would allow you to save complex musical evolutions.
P.D. seems to have evolved into an ambient music generator more of an absent minded professor than a psycho drumma.

I thought of adding preset sequencer in the very end of everything. Effect rack seemed boring idea, everyone has an effect rack, that's often the only thing in the GUI, but algo-automating stuff was quite fun.

Fantastic instrument!

It works fine in Kontakt 5.2.1 and Mac OS 10.6.8!

A lot of fun, just poking around and hitting buttons… :-D

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Thanks Spifire! I'm glad you dig it.

Yet another beta version is up: http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/psycho-wip.html

And here's new demo track: http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/docs/psy ... _track.mp3

It was made by sequencing presets (from keyboard), so basically all rhythms and melodies were generated by the machine and I was just choosing the order to play them. Preset variations were made with new 'chaos modulator' control, from the same array of random numbers. The new download includes the preset bank and midi file, that were used to generate the track. To test it you would need to load bank into memory module (see buttons on top row) and feed midi file into the machine. I'd be interested to hear, if it's working out for anyone.

Checking out the latest beta with the banks and midi file and everything seems to be fine. Tested in Energy and Reaper.
I recorded a pass of the midi with each bank just to compare the difference and out of curiosity loaded another instance of Kontakt with Solid State Symphony and let PDrumma drive that. Added some reverb on the master and drew in volume envelopes.
This is the result..... :)
Solid State PsychoDrumma.mp3

Instant film music! Übercool.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”