FREE JD-850 and Etheral Kontakt Demo Instrument

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kaneda wrote:You seem pretty intent on disrupting this thread....
Not at all. If anything, trying to help so that you don't get a brutal C&D from Roland's legal eagles.

I've been there - it's not nice ... which is why I've studied copyright and IP law quite intensely (if only to protect myself). I can't say that I am an 'expert' as such but arguably, I think I know more than most. I try to pass that knowledge on wherever possible, not to be argumentative but to help.

Also, Roland can be pretty ferocious with regard to copyright/IP protection. I just didn't want you to fall foul of that and if you think there was any malcontent, you are mistaken.

I apologise for any misunderstanding.

Stephen

planetearth wrote:Intellectual property issues aside...has anyone tried to use Kontakt 5 with Kontakt 4 on the same system? The last time I tried this it made a mess of my Kontakt 4 library...
It was pretty much my experience.

Zombie Queen wrote:
planetearth wrote:Intellectual property issues aside...has anyone tried to use Kontakt 5 with Kontakt 4 on the same system? The last time I tried this it made a mess of my Kontakt 4 library...
It was pretty much my experience.
Yep, I remember your post! I responded to that, saying I had the same problem. Hopefully, someone here might be able to shed some light on this.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

hollowsun wrote:
Kaneda wrote:You seem pretty intent on disrupting this thread....
Not at all. If anything, trying to help so that you don't get a brutal C&D from Roland's legal eagles.

I've been there - it's not nice ... which is why I've studied copyright and IP law quite intensely (if only to protect myself). I can't say that I am an 'expert' as such but arguably, I think I know more than most. I try to pass that knowledge on wherever possible, not to be argumentative but to help.

Also, Roland can be pretty ferocious with regard to copyright/IP protection. I just didn't want you to fall foul of that and if you think there was any malcontent, you are mistaken.
But copyright laws as different from country to country.

I think I remember seeing a post here sometime ago, that in Germany the courts have ruled that a preset is not covered by the copyright of the instrument or something like that, meaning that anybody who want to sample a preset or more and make their own libraries for sale can do so legally there.

Very beautiful sounding library! Well done; congrats to you 8)

Numanoid wrote:I think I remember seeing a post here sometime ago, that in Germany the courts have ruled that a preset is not covered by the copyright of the instrument or something like that, meaning that anybody who want to sample a preset or more and make their own libraries for sale can do so legally there.
Presets aren't covered by copyright (not just Germany) but the point is that if you make a patch on a sample-based synth, it kind of doesn't matter how innovative that patch may be when you sample it, IT CONTAINS SAMPLES THAT ARE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF SOME COMPANY OR PERSON.

To extrapolate, I don't suppose anyone would think to make some patches in Garritan or VSL, whatever, sample them and sell them on ... they would just kind of know that that is not kosher. But ROMpler hardware doesn't seem to have the same considerations even though exactly the same principles apply.

Not trying to be arsey here, just explaining the legal situation as I understand it.

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:it kind of doesn't matter how innovative that patch may be when you sample it, IT CONTAINS SAMPLES THAT ARE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF SOME COMPANY OR PERSON.
So what if you can't even recognize the actual raw samples used after much mangling? You can easily go under the radar doing such things and purposedly not stating the original soundsource, nobody would ever know.

EvilDragon wrote:So what if you can't even recognize the actual raw samples used after much mangling? You can easily go under the radar doing such things and purposedly not stating the original soundsource, nobody would ever know.
There is that but A) have the samples been mangled or just sampled and looped and B) the JD8xx name kind of gives the game away of the origin as does the GUI.

I don't know what the problem is - I'm just trying to help the dev not get a nasty C&D and into potential trouble.

Stephen

hollowsun wrote:I don't know what the problem is - I'm just trying to help the dev not get a nasty C&D and into potential trouble.
As the saying goes: no good deed goes unpunished :wink:

I have to say, the JD-850 library is pretty impressive. The dual-layer approach works very well as a way of recapturing this type of synthesis in a way that the UVI library doesn't. If Roland issues a nastygram over the specific look and feel, the overall architecture of the sample library would still be a major selling point if sold as a more generic rompler replacement.

synthmagic wrote:It looks great, sounds great and is a quick and easy way of having the essence of those JD-800 type sounds.I also own Deep flight D50 library which is also a great sounding Kontakt synth.

I can't say if CL has sampled some presets from a JD-800 because I don't think my JD-800 had any original factory presets on board when I bought it from some guy all those years ago.

Personally, I'm glad I bought this.
can't imagine a better promotion than reading such a comment from this guy here! :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Kaneda wrote:Yes - JD-850 has been released. CL-Projects spent many months working on this and they feel the price is fair. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way. There may be a sale in the future but currently we don't have any plans for one.

On another note, Ethereal has also been released.
Ethereal is one sale now

Numanoid wrote:Ethereal is one sale now
Only one? Boy, what the world has come to.

Etheral sounds great and can't resist a sale but I can't seem to log in to Sampleism without a Facebook, Google, Twitter or some other things I haven't got. I've purchased libraries there before but I don't remember this hassle.
Always look on the bright side of life

NightofNi wrote:Etheral sounds great and can't resist a sale but I can't seem to log in to Sampleism without a Facebook, Google, Twitter or some other things I haven't got. I've purchased libraries there before but I don't remember this hassle.
Hi. You don't need to login at all. You can go through checkout anonymously. Just ensure you enter your email address at checkout for the receipt. Thanks
https://www.lootaudio.com
Kontakt Libraries, Plugins, Patches, Samples and Deals.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”