FREE JD-850 and Etheral Kontakt Demo Instrument

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hollowsun wrote:
So what ... are you planning to sample, say, Garritans' stuff or VSL or, shall we say, my stuff and pass it off as your own.

All much the same thing.
Hi,

Don't you think that's a little unfair to even remotely suggest that somebody would be planning to sample your stuff?

Would you like to continue this discussion via PM rather than on a public message board? You seem pretty intent on disrupting this thread....
https://www.lootaudio.com
Kontakt Libraries, Plugins, Patches, Samples and Deals.

Back on-topic:

I bought the Ethereal library the other day when it was released, and it is AWESOME. There are lots of useful and inspiring patches in there. :love:
Last edited by Ben H on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Best of luck with the release - looks like a lot of work went into this - always good to see more Kontakt 5 synths :tu:

Kaneda wrote:You seem pretty intent on disrupting this thread....
I find Hollow Sun's point valid and interesting, as a user I like to know about this stuff. I wouldn't worry about disrupting, nothing can boost publicity like a little controversy.

Having owned a JD-800 many years ago I thought I would give this Library a whirl.
It sounds really good and has lot's of really nice presets and has the JD-800 sound.
I really like the layer system which is accessed via the GUI and each layer can be switched on/off so you can edit one layer at a time if you wish.
It looks great, sounds great and is a quick and easy way of having the essence of those JD-800 type sounds.
I also own Deep flight D50 library which is also a great sounding Kontakt synth.

I can't say if CL has sampled some presets from a JD-800 because I don't think my JD-800 had any original factory presets on board when I bought it from some guy all those years ago.

Personally, I'm glad I bought this.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

I didn't understand Hollowsun's reply to my question about the other product at Sampleism. Vinyl Toolkit. Is it actually legal to record a load of drum hits from 'old' vinyl and then tart them up for sale in a nice Kontakt interface?

I'm only concerned about how that could compromise me as an end user of such a product.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:I didn't understand Hollowsun's reply to my question about the other product at Sampleism. Vinyl Toolkit. Is it actually legal to record a load of drum hits from 'old' vinyl and then tart them up for sale in a nice Kontakt interface?

I'm only concerned about how that could compromise me as an end user of such a product.
Potentially, yes. I wondered the same thing when I looked at the product. One of the benefits of crate digging is that you know the provenance of the samples and can take a measured view on whether someone is likely to engage the expensive lawyers if your recording became famous enough. The last thing you want is someone emailing you some months later asking whether the snare is really off Dark Side of the Moon or something while you blithely assumed it was some forgotten bit of rare groove.

Does it matter, if it's famous or rare "groove"?

Zombie Queen wrote:Does it matter, if it's famous or rare "groove"?
If it's famous more people are likely to notice. The more people notice, the more lawyers are likely to get involved*.

* Unless Andrew Loog Oldham is involved, in which case no matter how obscure it is, you are likely to get taken to the cleaners.

Aloysius wrote:I didn't understand Hollowsun's reply to my question about the other product at Sampleism. Vinyl Toolkit. Is it actually legal to record a load of drum hits from 'old' vinyl and then tart them up for sale in a nice Kontakt interface?

Hello
I don't want to derail the thread as the subject is about JD-850, but someone pointed this discussion to me (as i provided the samples for the Vinyl Toolkit), and i wanted to chime in...

Really, in all honesty i don't see what could be wrong here : Vinyl toolkit is all about short one-shot samples of drums : there is no melodic element, no loop, no melody, no harmonic content, so what should be copyrighted/patented ?
I don't feel like violating any intellectual property by re-recording a single hi-hat sound from an obscure record released 40 or 50 years ago : it is not like ripping-off a melodic loop or sampling 4 bars of beat.

I don't think the composer owns the right on the single sound of a hi-hat : sampling a snare is not like sampling a melodic or whole rhytmic idea. I tis not even like taking a full kit (kick + snare + cymb for instance) from a single song.
And who should be held "responsible" (the "owner") for that single sound ? Who should be the owner ?
The man who composed the song ?
The drummer who played on the song ?
The engineer who recorded it ?
The company who built the drumkit ?

And what about the specificity of the medium : should we take into consideration all the "miracle surface noise" which happens in the whole recording chain (which was not supposed to be taken into account when the band released their song), and which interested us a lot.
So we could add to the list above :
The guy who first bought the vinyl and played it so many times it made it scratchy ?
The company who built the vinyl deck and amp we used to record the sample ?

This is not something to be overlooked : when we record a kickdrum sound, are we more recording the fingerprint of the drumkit (which the composer can not be held responsible), the fingerprint of the original recording chain (which the composer can not be held responsible), or the fingerprint of the medium (-the "vinyl sound"- which the composer can not be held responsible), or even the sample-recorder-recording chain (buying a vinyl second-hand -who already got played dozens of times- and playing it on a vintage vinyl deck with a specific diamond, a specific amp, etc).

I think that what we have done is taking a very short amount of a whole context and took it out of context, like an "amnesic souvenir".
It is not like Marcel Duchamp signing a toilet, or the Jocond, or whatever. It is not like Roy Lichtenstein painting comic strips and making them bigger : it is not an appropriationist act.
It is more like taking an "era's very short piece of memory", and making it so that everyone could make it his own (the process in itself involving decontextualization -and thus no will of intellectual property breakage-, isolation and several other operations like trimming, equ-ing, etc).

Also, one of my choices while picking the samples, was to NOT gather several sounds from the same recording into the pack, but rather mixing single sounds from very different styles of music, various eras and several continents, in order to make something new (and not making a 1:1 recreation of a full drumkit of a single song). So by the choices we made, you can NOT re-produce or mimic a specific sound of a single drumkit/song/studio/whatever, you can "only" give the listener the feeling, the vibe of an era, the "thrill of the past" (or however you want to call it), and we think it is better that way.
We haven't sampled a song, we have sampled a color, a vibe (or, at least, that's what we tried to do ;) ).

Well, it is a rather long post, and i didn't even talked about all the recording processing and the way it can involve "the feeling of transparency" (which many times means a lot more processing than the raw thing in itself), but i hope i have cleared our intentions about the Vinyl Toolkit.

sinkmusic wrote:And who should be held "responsible" (the "owner") for that single sound ? Who should be the owner ?
Performer, who made the sound and engineer, who recorded it. Most likely both licensed their work to the producer of the record. It doesn't matter it's a single sound with no melodic content.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but, in most cases I believe the record company owns the sound recording on an LP, cassette, CD, mp3, etc... If you find the "P" with a circle around it, that is the copyright owner of the recording.

And, this stuff is important to me because I want to know I'm using legal samples in my compositions.

Thanks,

Dexter

sinkmusic wrote: i hope i have cleared our intentions about the Vinyl Toolkit.
Thank you for your detailed reply.

I bought Ethereal a few days ago and i must say that this library has very inspiring and even mysterious sounds. I make New Age and Ambient music and this library will just fit in. I hope there will be a sequel to this library. One can never have enough sounds, especially these kind of sounds.

NewAgeGuru
KVRer
1 post since 12 Mar, 2014

Welcome to KvR ;)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”