Kontakt best alternative?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Kontakt Best Alternative?

Plogue sforzando
13%
SampleTank
6%
ImageLine DirectWave
5%
Simple Plain Universal Sfz
8%
HighLife
1%
Shortcircuit
5%
ZamplerRX
1%
Wusikstation
3%
TX16Wx
11%
Sonic Charge Cyclone
No votes
CMPlay
No votes
motu mach5
11%
SF2
4%
Halion
13%
Alchemy
14%
Maize Sampler VSTi
6%

Total votes: 139

RELATED
PRODUCTS

SampleScience wrote:I'm really digging the concept of Maize so it may be the route I'll take for future instruments. .
the poll you created said Maize = 0 votes.. ..do you think its a good idea to create a poll and dont care about the result? no harm, of course you are free to do what you think is the best for you but why the poll & discussion then?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
SampleScience wrote:I'm really digging the concept of Maize so it may be the route I'll take for future instruments. .
the poll you created said Maize = 0 votes.. ..do you think its a good idea to create a poll and dont care about the result? no harm, of course you are free to do what you think is the best for you but why the poll & discussion then?
Well, let's give it a bit of time. I'll take the poll into account in a couple of weeks, not just after 2 days of voting. :)

And the poll is a reference not just for me, but for other developers too. It's there just to give an overall impression of what people use/want. Which seems pretty scattered for the moment! :? :lol:

I have my favorites on this list, to be sure, but I don't really consider them as alternatives to Kontakt as much as an instrument in their own right.

But given to what is actually relative and alternative to Kontakt, I wonder why you've left out Engine?

Although I've become a 'nadafan' of Magix, it still is worth mentioning and putting on the poll for those that are.

This:
http://pro.magix.com/en/engine-instrume ... .1024.html

And since you have Alchemy (one of my top favorites) in the list, you should also add Synthmaster, since it has the ability to play samples as oscilators too. And Iris.

You might want to re-think your criteria?

Wow! I've never heard of Engine before. It looks amazing, I'm impress by the choice of libraries for it and the GUIs looks very good. Somehow it reminds me of UVI Workstation for the "concept" of sample libraries with eye candy user interfaces. But it's out of my league, and it's out of the league of most sound developers. This is the kind of stuff big companies can consider, but I don't think they'll look at my thread...

DuX wrote:Well, this second time I voted "Plain Simple SFZ" because SFZ sample library can be loaded in so many different samplers and sample players.
Also note that just about everything that got any votes imports SFZ...
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

One thing that I feel Kontakt lacks is a certain simplicity - that's why I tremendously prefer Battery for drums (the bulk of my sampling work). Things like piano libraries, etc., though, are done far better in Kontakt, but I don't create my own "melodic instrument" libs.

I miss ShortCircuit, as it was a quick and easy thing to throw some samples into and get a good, fast result. However, I've gone almost completely x64, so it got dropped from my setup. (It's also a shame that production halted while they were still building the 2nd version).

I love the concept of Maize Sampler as it makes it easy to distribute custom libraries, and this is certainly something I'll be looking into in the future.

SampleTank 2 was quite a beast in its day; I loved the sounds (simple is sometimes better) and the workflow. It lost favor with me during its long period of stagnation, but I can't wait to see what is in store for version 3. Maybe keyswitching finally?!

WTF, where is Independence?

CableChannel wrote:WTF, where is Independence?
They were a prominent force on the sampler scene a few years ago. I know they alienated some of their customer base (via non-responsiveness on orders and perhaps even bugginess) but their exclusion does seem like an oversight, as it was a sophisticated piece of kit with lots of great libraries.

Since they were bought out by Magix I'm not sure they can give Independence away. Magix has the worst rep among the digital 'music' companies if they even fall into that category. They are kind of a conglomerate devoted to selling crappy variants of multimedia editing programs and then charging licensing fees if you actually use any of the included content.

Very interesting poll, thanks for doing it. If you add the SFZ formats together they are the clear early winner at about a quarter of the vote. I think it also indicates why Kontakt is the force it is in sampling. There are what a dozen sort of pretenders to the throne and they are all favored by a fraction of even the non-kontakt crowd, much less the music scene in general and the main choice is a free format.

bigcat1969 wrote:Since they were bought out by Magix I'm not sure they can give Independence away. Magix has the worst rep among the digital 'music' companies if they even fall into that category. They are kind of a conglomerate devoted to selling crappy variants of multimedia editing programs and then charging licensing fees if you actually use any of the included content.

Very interesting poll, thanks for doing it. If you add the SFZ formats together they are the clear early winner at about a quarter of the vote. I think it also indicates why Kontakt is the force it is in sampling. There are what a dozen sort of pretenders to the throne and they are all favored by a fraction of even the non-kontakt crowd, much less the music scene in general and the main choice is a free format.
Let's see how it evolves. Already 51 votes, the more people vote, the more we'll have a clear idea of what is the ultimate alternative to Kontakt!!! :hyper:

To a moderator: would it be possible to move the thread in the instrument sub forum? This way we'll get more votes and after all, sampler are instruments. :) Thanks!

-1 (minus one) on moving the thread just to get more votes.
There's a reason they have a separate forum for sampling/sampler and numbers aren't as important as percentages IMO.
Hope the admins keep it in this forum,

I personally think that any SFZ solution is the way to go. Otherwise I would just stick to Kontakt. Bad or not is a standard that many expect to find as a "format" for libraries.
Give me samples. More samples!

in my opinion there is no alternative.

mhog wrote:in my opinion there is no alternative.
That makes it a monopoly, which is never a good thing :shrug:
It's better to have several formats.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”