Why do my loops / samples randomly stop short in kontakt?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello world :)

I have a sporadically recurring problem when I'm using Kontakt.

I use it for live performance as a drum machine triggering loops.

Occasionally the sounds will just play for half a second and stop. Or they'll play for half their duration and then cut short .

This will happen at random and I haven't worked out how to troubleshoot it. The problem goes away, sometimes on its own or if I close Kontakt down and restart it but I would really like to avoid having to do that live on stage.

I use 3 completely different midi controllers and use the midi monitor utility in Kontakt to see if another midi event is causing this.

Nothing unusual appears in the midi monitor.

It never uses more than 0.7GB ram during its operation and never plays more than 1 loop at a time.

Some of the samples I use are 4 minutes long.

I use 3 different laptops, (not simultaneously, 2 are for backup) all with 2.2 ghz processors, fast hard drives with 500gb capacity and on the main laptop there is 16gb memory whilst the other 2 have 6gb memory.

Despite this, the problem occurs with all 3 laptops.

During my live performances I disable the internet, screensavers, anti virus and all the unnecessary programs that I can and I have defragged the hard drive, checked it for errors and and put it through a tune up utility. (Spotmau)

The system sounds are also turned off.

Should I set all my instruments to sampler instead of DFD?

Could it be a USB power problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

:(
Last edited by normanlevene on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yeah, try using Sampler mode if you can. Alternatively, try moving the loop points around, the issue is really sporadic... I had it happen, too. Editing the loop points remedied it.

Thanks Mr Dragon
I shall put my most commonly used instruments into sampler mode and see if this makes a difference.

I'll let you know.

I have this problem when playing Kontakt as a keyboard instrument as well, especially in note runs. And I'm using professionally set up keyboard patches so it's not likely to be a badly set parameter values.

Pretty disappointing really, but the problem seems to be mostly deterministic, so tweaking the midi can fix it.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Have you tried both sampler and and DFD modes and did this make a difference?

I fiddled with it a bit and didn't really notice a difference, but it's hard to say, because it's such a sporadic thing.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Before performing a 5 hour set, I put everything into sampler mode last night and no problems. :)
But this is a sporadic problem that isn't necessarily a nightly occurrence.

If there are any further troubles / solutions I'll post

N

Well its been a week since I put everything into sampler mode instead of DFD and there have been ZERO problems.
Although I've haven't found out why this occurred in the first place, this solution is fine by me.

Thanks again Evil Dragon for your help.

:)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”